Reviews of Dior Homme Intense

LIMITED EDITION

Overall

Add your review of Dior Homme Intense

Reviews of Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

There are 149 reviews of Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior.

I get a woody powdery orris root with herbal grass and a dry eucalyptus note underneath. I really enjoy this powdery iris. It’s fairly simple, nothing to handspring about, but it’s comforting and smooth. drying down to SUCH a lovely cozy vanilla scent. It’s more feminine than unisex to my nose, but would wear nicely on anyone who goes for the softer powdery side of orris and likes their comfort vanilla.
Dec 31, 2021

Thankfully Homme Intense is still available since the original Dior Homme has been replaced with an entirely different fragrance. The lavender and iris start Homme Intense off magically and with the vanilla melds into an unsweetened cocoa like vibe that oozes elegance. It is rich and distinctive. It comes across as extremely formal. This is one of those fragrances that works best when not over applied. I find that if I attempt to underspray compared to what I normally would it's perfect. It's a confidence booster that can make it feel like people are subliminally drawn to you. It will last most of a workday, although like a fine cheesecake it's a little rich and decadent for everyday office wear. That also means it's indicated for cooler weather and isn't light enough to be a regular summer scent. It's in the top 10 all time wears for BNers for a reason and is required smelling for those interested in knowing the greatest mens fragrances. Thumbs up.

Dec 3, 2021

Admittedly it took a little while for Dior Homme Intense to grow on me, at first I thought it was a little too much on the feminine side. But now I appreciate this beautiful scent as the masterpiece it is. As Dior Homme Intense opens there is a captivating amber note, along with musky and slightly fruity (the pear probably) notes. As it begins to settle on the skin I definitely detect an earthy note that gives the scent an interesting vibe. During the dry down I get the vanilla, and at the beginning there is that lipstick/women's make-up bag accord that others have mentioned. After a while the fragrance settles to a slightly sweet floral note that smells elegant and a little sexy. As for the performance, while some reviewers have mentioned poor to average performance, on my skin the performance is amazing. Easily 9 to 10 hours of longevity with arm length projection for the first two hours then progressing to more intimate projection. This scent is noticed and appreciated by others and, while I have not received direct compliments, I have noticed that when wearing Dior Homme Intense, women tend to lean in close to me when communicating much more so than usual. As someone who tends to favour the classic, masculine, barbershop scents Dior Homme Intense is a bit of an outlier for me. But it is such a beautifully crafted and blended scent that I can't help but enjoy it.
Nov 6, 2021

Dior Homme Intense Review:

This an absolutely gorgeous masterpiece. It's taken me years to really appreciate this fragrance. I find that to be the case with a lot of the bottles in my collection.

I've always loved the dry down for this fragrance; it's the iris which has really grown on me with time. I now find it as intoxicating as the creamy dry down is. Love this one.

I've included my old review down below as well. It's important to see how much this has grown on me. This is a 10 in my book and has moved into my top 10 of all time. Also, how did this only last on me for only 8 hours back in the day?!?! I get projection and longevity all day long now.

Old Review:

DHI starts off nicely with a very good lavender note. That's quickly overpowered by the iris note, which really takes charge in the next stage of the fragrance. Here's where we get to what everyone talks about!

The iris gives this a very waxy/lipstick type of vibe. Personally, I think this stage of the fragrance is just ok. I don't love it or hate it. It's an interesting smell that's VERY different from your typical male designer fragrances. For that reason, I think this will appeal to someone who is looking for something that stands out from all the "fresh" fragrances that are out on the market.

Now to the good stuff. The dry down on this fragrance is absolutely superb! It has a slightly gourmandish type of feel to it. It's creamy and absolutely mesmerizing. If this fragrance was more linear, by which I mean it focused more on the dry down as opposed to the iris, it would be one of my favorite fragrances.

I think this is a very versatile fragrance. This could be great for work, dates, formal, and casual situations. It just depends on your personality and what you're wanting to get out of it. I personally find myself wearing this to work quite a bit. I think the majority of you though will be looking at this as a date fragrance though.

Just a couple things to keep in mind. I find that this smells much better on my skin as opposed to spraying it on my clothes. It also smells better at a distance for the first couple hours. I would definitely try sampling this one on your skin before you make any decision on it. I definitely don't think it's a safe blind buy. For some of you though, this will be the perfect choice.

Best Age Group- 25+
Best Season- Winter
Occasions- Work, Dates, Formal, Casual
Projection/Sillage- Medium
Longevity- 9 Hours
Smell- 8/10
Overall- 8.5/10

YouTube Channel: theaveragecologneguy
Sep 21, 2021

Creamy, powdery and sweet. You can smell lavender, iris and vanilla in a transparent way. Leather chords, with some chocolate in the mix, as it evolves. It is not linear trip to dry down... it is an interesting trip, “correct”, but unfortunately taken without much enthusiasm. It all ends well, OK, but not as a masterpiece. The first hour will vary a lot depending on your skin and if you are above or below 24ºC - it is more pleasant in cooler temperatures.
Sep 30, 2020

Super-smooth Iris with a milk chocolate accord from to the ambrette seed and vanilla.

Dry down sees the cedar become more prominent and a little too ‘hamster cagey' if I'm being picky. I'm being picky. But it keeps it at 4 stars instead of 5 for me.

Still love it.
Sep 7, 2020

Dior Homme Intense (2007) was a natural continuation of the "Dior Homme" concept put forth by Hedi Slimane while creative director at Christian Dior. The original Dior Homme (2005) as composed by prodigal son perfumer Olivier Polge before he took up his father's mantle at Chanel is nothing short of a ground breaking classic, and its focus on iris was a huge deal in the "metrosexual" era of the mid-2000's, since co-opting ideas traditionally associated with femininity for masculine use were all the rage. Dior Homme Intense was perfumer François Demachy's first hands-on with the line as director of development for cosmetics and perfumes for the LVMH company, before his additional appointment as house perfumer for Christian Dior, and is a snapshot into where he would take the line before ultimately rebooting it in 2020. Compared to the original creation by Polge, Dior Homme Intense leans more on its gourmand elements, is a bit sweeter, softer, with more cocoa and vanilla, although is still focused on iris. Some say Dior Homme Intense pulls even further away from the traditional masculine paradigm than even Dior Homme did, which still has a noticeable leather and woody riff in its finish. All told, this is a more "intense" take on what makes Dior Homme the special creation that it originally was, so if you're at odds with those elements (including the "lipstick" iris), this won't be an improvement, especially at insane luxury niche-level aftermarket prices. Otherwise, Dior Homme Intense proves to be quite less a flanker and more of an alternate concentration with subtle variations in development like rival house Chanel is famous for doing.

The opening of Dior Homme Intense echos the opening of the original Dior Homme, with bergamot, lavender, and sage. The lavender is much more noticeable in this intense version than in the original, and is much rounder for that reason, but the iris note is still a genderbend punch to the face for those CIS heterosexual men out there not comfortable with wearing something that reminds them of makeup. Still, the roundness of the increased lavender quotient helps set up for the creamier development of Dior Homme Intense, with a bigger slug of cocoa and the introduction of ambrette seed alongside the iris heart. The base of Dior Homme Intense mostly forgoes the vetiver and dials back the suede leather of the original, bringing more amber, vanilla, and cedar into the mix. The end result of this retune is that Dior Homme Intense may come across even sweeter and more powdery than the original, but also has greater depth and cold weather performance with less iris "shock value". If Dior Homme was was the dandy remade for the 21st century, Dior Homme Intense is the high street fopp equivalent with just a bit too much rouge on his face and his hair just a little too tall. A CISHET man of great confidence can very much still rock this, and the gender neutral nature of Dior Homme Intense makes it the perfect universal romantic perfume particulary for trans or intersex persons looking to escape the "for him/for her" box of designer perfume stereotypes. Wear time is longer than Dior Homme at over 10 hours, but projection is a bit lower after the first hour or so, meaning a more intense experience doesn't equate to a more powerful one. Fans who love this over Dior Homme seem to love the warmth, roundness, and depth of this over Dior Homme's more balanced approach, which makes sense. I'd use Dior Homme Intense in winter and evenings only.

Dior Homme Intense would see a slight makeover in 2011 along with Dior Homme (receiving Intense's black stem), the latter of which would be have a heuristic reorchestration to match Olivier Polge's formula closely as possible to allow Dior to own all its formulas and avoiding having to pay companies like Givaudan or IFF royalties to make its perfumes. During this time Dior Homme Intense was "dried out" a little with cocoa and vanilla toned down some so it literally just became a more "stronger" version of Dior Homme as recreated by Demachy, which itself saw a slight decrease in the controversial iris note in favor of upping the leather, woods, and vetiver in the base. Dior Homme Intense is still the warmer, sweeter, more romantic option between it and Dior Homme in post-2011 batches, just not as "extra" as it was at launch. Additionally, after Dior Homme received a complete reboot as a different scent in 2020, the version of Dior Homme Intese that came strapped to it seems to dial back the iris characteristics that made Dior Homme what it was, but without eliminating them entirely like with the 2020 reboot of the standard fragrance. I think this gradual stepping back of the iris is more on Demachy's end than the buying public. Batchcode madness on this one is high among obsessed fans of the scent, so I'm sure I'm missing the subtleties from year to year, but frankly I don't care because I like all versions of Dior Homme and prefer the balance of the EdT over this EdP alternate. Bottom line here is Dior Homme Intense was more of what made Dior Homme so interesting and divisive, so you have to start with the original and work up to it in order to truly understand that. Otherwise, its just another mid-2000's gourmand but with a lipstick kiss. Thumbs up.
May 2, 2020

Picked up a 3.4oz bottle for $80. I like this one but the 2 gals I was around me said it was straight baby powder. Bought this along with encre noir intense and I see similarities but this one has more powdery finish. Lasts a whole day on me. Classy pick for cold weather or night out.
Oct 30, 2019

This is decent, but in my opinion it pales in comparison to the (now being discontinued) Parfum version. It's taken me some time to appreciate iris as a note, I'm not sure what was causing me to react so negatively initially, but now I don't mind it and can appreciate when it is done well. Like the Parfum, this version has a smooth buttery iris that is very inoffensive. However, I don't know if the other notes backing it up do a great job of supporting it. The lavender and pear have a nice sweetness, but they're barely there, they have no weight to them. This makes it a bit too powdery for me.

Was hoping I'd like this as much as the parfum, but it's not really for me. Needs the heft, the leather, the slight booziness.
Sep 1, 2019

In fragrances purporting to be fresh, I really don't like vanilla and other sweet notes. Give me dry dry dry. But this is sensuous late-night stuff, a sultry blend of flowery and vanilla darkened with something leatheresque. Like.
Jun 27, 2019

Iris. The powdery aspect is somehow a bit chunky, with say the feeling of flour mixed with butter. If you were to take Dior Homme and make it a bit more sumptuous, this is what you would get. A little more rounded and gourmandy. Longevity is average/good. The more this one is sprayed the more powerful it becomes. As speedracer says, it can take over a room.
May 30, 2019

A strong dose of powdery iris is what I get on the initial application: if lavender is a top note, then I'm not getting much of it at all. I'd say there are equal amounts of lavender and vanilla, and I detect both more so in the dry down in equal measure. A bit darker with boozy undertones. A perfectly unisex scent, possibly leaning a bit feminine.

Given how many people in the fragrance community seem to approve of this scent, I'm somewhat surprised given how...ordinary...it seems to smell to me. Nothing groundbreaking. I purchased 1.7 ounces for around $90 and that feels very overpriced for what you get: a very linear, play it safe concoction that doesn't move the needle either way. Longevity is below average (3-4 hours), projection is also poor: nothing more than a skin scent. Save your money for something better.

Feb 28, 2019

I get a powdery iris and vanilla in the opening. As it dries down, becomes more of a clean vanilla. It's not overly-feminine to my nose, despite the notes. Versatile for the occasion but reserved for colder weather.

Performance is good, not great on my skin. However, if over-sprayed, DHI could take over a room.
Nov 4, 2018

I like the drydown, but I don't like the journey to get there. Love vanilla, this isn't the one though. Stays a sample.
Sep 7, 2018

A great turbo charged rendition of the also amazing original Dior Homme, arguably a sleeper living legend scent for men. (My review is for the 2011 version.)

Really strong lavender, iris, and ambrette presence in DHI 2011. Settles down into a really smooth, powdery oriental that is mellowed out by vetiver and cedar in the base. I feel a really unmistakable, direct connection to the DNA of the original DH here, along with longevity that is crazy coooooooool!

This is one of my never-fail scents I turn to when I want a reliable, fairly bold presence on my skin that lasts for hours. Ever since the introduction of the original Dior Homme in 2005, I have been in love with every flanker that have come out, each with its own character that seem always to point back to the original.

Aug 2, 2018

I can appreciate it's uniqueness but I'm sorry, smelling like a rich old woman is not my thing. Without a doubt, one of the most feminine men's fragrances out there.
Feb 18, 2018

After reading a bunch of reviews, and buying it... have to say it's now in the top 10.

Long lasting, pleasant and not overpowering
Dec 1, 2017

A piece of perfumery excellence.

Dior Homme is to the 00's what Fahrenheit was to the 80's. Ground Breaking perfumery!! They were so different. They both had their lovers and their haters. Fahrenheit has stood the test of time as I am sure Dior Homme and it's flankers will.

Of course my review is about DHI but feel that it is important to pay homage to the seed that the tree grew from. The only difference between DH & Fahrenheit is that Fahrenheit was never surpassed or equaled by its extended family. In my opinion DHI surpasses DH.

It took me a while to get this one but so glad that I did.

Very iris heavy in the opening but as it dry's down the fragrance really comes into It's own. I do not over exaggerate when I say that DHI may possibly have the best dry down of any fragrance I have tried. It's all cocoa, iris, pear......Just delicious.

Oct 12, 2017

I think I need more time in order to understand this perfume.
Oct 3, 2017

Stardate 20170729:

Iris vanilla with some Amber.
Smells great. Smells a lot like skin of makeup on a lady - which is a good thing.
The Amber and vanilla bring in the banned called smell.
Recommended
Jul 30, 2017

Just might be my favorite.

I didn't love this initially, but as many others have stated, this one can grow on you. It is interesting in a way that most designer fragrances are not.

Not one to judge on a test strip, or even in the first ten minutes after application. Once the iris settles down, it becomes a smooth, warm and sexy fragrance.

This is one of those gems that makes you keep smelling throughout, to see at what point in the journey you are at.

9.5/10
Jan 17, 2017

I bought this because it was one of the newer winners of a Base Notes award and it has a very low ratio of negative reviews.

Smells a bit medicinal but some females seem to like it (a lot). If I want a female to come and sit next to me (even if I have rotten smoothies) or pause while I'm walking towards her (works even if I have a face mask on as I did during Covid's phase 1 and phase 2), this is the scent to wear!

It doesn't generally turn heads but it is very strong in attracting those females who do like it. This scent also has one of the highest positive ratings I've seen for a cocoa based fragrance and that itself is worth noting.
Nov 29, 2016

An absolute winner on longevity. The vanilla basenote stays on your skin for at least 24 hours and maybee more if it wasnt for the everyday shower... Getting a lot of great compliments on this one. Opening is as marvelous as for Eau for men or Dior for men.
Nov 20, 2016

a nice powdery scent

this one starts with the lipstick/make-up smell which is mostly attributed to the iris. the vanilla and woods later kick in providing a smooth and slightly delicious combination. the smell is very popular these days and gets me compliments. excellent performance.

8.4/10