Reviews of Dior Homme

Overall

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Add your review of Dior Homme

Reviews of Dior Homme by Christian Dior

There are 307 reviews of Dior Homme by Christian Dior.

This one is actually in the middle of the road between Olivier Polge's Dior Homme (2005) and Francois Demachy's Dior Homme (2011). It's got way more iris than 2011 and is much more spicy and tad sweeter than 2005. I own 2005 (particularly version from 2008), compared them hand to hand. Similar indeed - 2008 seemed to be focused more on the iris while my Original bottle seemed to have more pronounced lavender and cardamom.

Still have to test it more and thorough - for now I really liked it.

I bought the deodorant stick on a blind buy.

It smells like powdery moisturising cream with a hint of vanilla.

It's not offensive, but it's boring and practically unisex. Should be stocked in the hand cream section of the supermarket.

OK, so I just got a sample of the new Dior Homme 2021/2022 reformulation and, frankly, I'm a bit pissed off. They took out the iris?!?

For anyone who's been under a rock, Dior Homme used to be a wonderful iris with violet on top and a luxurious leathery chocolate/vanilla drydown. It was, without question, the best quality men's designer scent in wide circulation and, especially at discounter prices, better than or as good as many niche/luxury iris perfumes at ten times the price.

And now they've taken the iris, violets, leather, vanilla, and chocolate out and it smells like thin artificial lemon over weird artificial wood. There's an odd greasy food note (chicken bullion? the powdered flavor packet that comes with ramen noodles??) in there that's gross, but I guess it's an attempt at "character".

Just unacceptable.

Like it's counterpart, Dior Homme Intense, I am always amazed that this is considered masculine. It's powdery and cool and fairly unisex to my nose, perhaps with a hint of barbershop, but mostly soft powdery iris. It's a very nice iris blend, but I prefer the Intense for it's strongly vanillic dry down. That being said, neither to me are manly scents. Maybe they are cuddling fragrances, but my grandad wore English Leather and it dried down powdery like this on him, so to me, powdery scents on men are aging, no offense intended to those who prefer them.

Iris, woody, leather and spicy, very cologney and grandpa smell- reminds me very much of something my dad wore mid 80s-mid90s which I can't put my finger on...

Very nice cocoa and wood notes in late dry down but it takes way too long to get there.

Pretty good as far as designer scents go but they just don't do much for me these days.

7.2/10

Oh Dior, you comfortable warm friend. My bottle is circa 2015 and it quickly became part of my daily rotation.

The open is very much a blast of department store lipstick and powder goodness that's often mentioned.

Once dry, you get into the cocoa leathery bliss that makes it special. In this case the leather shows up as spotless leather furniture rather than old worn-in jacket.

Growing accustomed to the iris blast opening took some time, but the more masculine leaning dry down pushes it slightly left of unisex (though it would probably be incredible on the right kind of lady).

Intimate enough for date night, this really shines as a crowd pleasing daily scent (especially in cooler weather). Fairly sweet/powdery so wouldn't recommend as a blind buy but definitely gives the impression of a well blended mature scent that stands out from the crowd.

Overall two thumbs up for its depth and warmth!

Nice. But Dior Homme Intense is nicer.¡Viva los perfumes florales para hombre!

Fantastic. New formulation. Starts off iris sweetened up with dry cocoa and a small bit of leather. Well balanced and constructed. Last 8 hours, projects maybe one or two. Easily my favorite of the whole line. Not overly feminine or macho. Classy.

Lovin'this bottle!

Not too sweet.
Not too spicy.
Not too woodsy.
Not to fresh.
Not too loud.
Juuuusssssst riiiiggghhht.

Seriously a high quality fragrance at an attainable price. Light years ahead of that "Sauvage stuff". Sad some flankers are being discontinued, as this line is by far the best designer line out there.

Sure hope the flankers are not being discontinued in favor of the "Sauvage stuff"..... Can't stand that headache spray...

Parfums Christian Dior had a few misfires with the men's segment in their attempt to make a successor to the accidental masterpiece that was Fahrenheit (1988), but the 90's and early 2000's was a rough place for designers to attempt innovation. This is mostly because the buying public was almost anti-culture by the turn of the 90's, rather than counterculture like in the 1960's into the 1970's; sophisticated forms of music were thrown out for simple or atonal varieties, color form-flattering clothes were disposed of in favor of impossibly baggy or monochrome duds, and worst of all for perfumers, olfactory dynamism was traded out for an apologetic sea of shimmering freshness. Dior had no real way to fit in with the aquatic genre since they ended the 80's with gasoline and violets, while the "fresh fougère" also eluded them since that style had mostly run it's course even before the 90's came to a close. Dior chose to run with the short-lived fig fad started by Diptyque with Philosykos (1996), marrying fig to soft musk with Dune Pour Homme (1997), but it didn't move units as planned. Next up was Dior Higher (2001), another fragrance cashing in on a short-lived fad, which in this case was the super-shrieking ozonic grapefruit style which multiple designers tried to wing at the under-21 segment of mall-going males. Suffice it to say, Higher was lower than expected. Thus, by the mid 2000's, Dior just fell back on tradition and created a gentlemanly floral leather fragrance the likes of which would have otherwise seemed out of place if not for the retro-chic boom caused in the segment by Gucci Pour Homme (2003) and Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme (2003). It was a surprising move that worked, considering the gimmicky direction of the previous two pillars, but one that proved not everything needs to be "fresh" and "light" in order to appeal to modern tastes.

This was before the days of François Demachy running Parfums Christian Dior as head perfumer, so a young Olivier Polge (yes, that one) must have won the bid to compose for his then-employer IFF with his primitive, and thus landed a huge credential on his resume, since Dior Homme (2005) ended up being an unlikely anachronistic success. Now, to be fair, Dior Homme isn't entirely old-school. Olivier Polge wields then-modern gourmand structures onto Dior Homme's powdery florals, earthy woods, and sharp leather structure, being something of a semi-chypre gourmand perfume that has for all intents become the Guerlain Habit Rouge (1965) of it's generation, seeing much romantic and formal use. The scent opens with bergamot, lavender, and sage, all very traditional head notes for most masculine perfumes throughout the 20th century, but the weirdness happens with the middle phase. In the heart is a now-legendary iris note, powdery and feminine, often called "lipsticky" by detractors because iris is commonly found in lipstick scent. This poofy iris note is balanced with dark cacao and an old-school composite amber, the vanillic "brown" type that doesn't exactly emulate ambergris, but is a far cry better than modern synthetic ambroxan. The scent is warm, rich, mildly soapy and somewhat unisex by this point, but a perfectly balanced green base re-asserts the masculinity of the composition by the end. Patchouli is balanced by an grassy vetiver, cedar, and subtle suede-like leather note. The whole thing is rather radiant but still soft, approachable, and gentlemanly. I get about eight hours with mild to moderate projection myself, and find the iris in particular sticks around with the base notes after everything else has gone. Dior Homme also shows different facets of its composition depending on the temperature and where you spray it, and I get more iris on clothes, with more cacao on skin, and more patchouli/amber presence with a bit of heat. The leather accord isn't strong regardless of conditions, so I wouldn't suggest it for leather lovers. Original bottles had a metal stem until about 2010, then house perfumer François Demachy reformulated this himself in 2011 to meet IFRA requirements, resulting in a tiny bit brighter development, but it's integrity has held up nicely overall.

Dior Homme is certainly no powerhouse, or else they wouldn't have needed to make an intense version two years later, but that's not it's point of existence. Nobody was doing mature, well-meted masculines of this type in the mid 2000's, and very few were playing around with chocolate notes, and I'm sure the cacao in this directly inspired Avon's Tomorrow for Men (2006), which commits more firmly to the note and goes further in the gourmand direction overall, making that scent its own animal. In fact, the gourmand notes in this inspired a lot of designers, and the iris note prominent in this also opened up everyone's eyes to the note being present in masculines once again, with the last time it was notably used in the designer sector being in Versace the Dreamer (1996) almost a decade beforehand. I think the best use for Dior Homme is in fall through early spring, for classy get-togethers or evenings out. The scent is relaxed enough to do casual duty, and poised enough for formal business affairs, but I find the chocolate present to make Dior Homme a tad bit too sensual for my taste in those settings, but that's just me. Dior Homme would be successful enough to receive an army of flankers in its wake, more than any other Dior masculine to date, so not only was it the first real successor to the Fahrenheit crown, but also threatened to overshadow Eau Sauvage (1966) as well, at least until Dior Sauvage (2015) was launched to put Dior Homme in its place. Guys looking for something mature, but not too "dated" (whatever that means), attractive without trying to be, and approachable without being too casual will find favor with Dior Homme, as will vintage frag heads that want something actually made in the 21st century in their collection but don't like where the "scene has gone" since Y2K. As a warning, there is also a Dior Homme Parfum (2014) that has little to do with Dior Homme or Dior Homme Intense (2007), so make sure to test! Thumbs Up!

Spray it on and discuss world-class literature. Or, better yet, create some.

Tried this after Intense, and I think Intense is the better scent, but this is ok and I could respect either choice. If you have Intense, I wouldn't see the point in getting this. Will stay a sample.

There are a few milestones in perfume history, that really changed the way of the whole industry and the way consumers understood what male perfumery is all about. Dior Homme is one of them.

Originally released back in 2005 and getting a slight reformulation in 2011, Dior Homme is one of the all time best sellers, something that didn't just happened by chance or just because of a strong marketing campaign. It is not only the way this perfume was presented or advertised, it was a perfect combination of a brand new revolutionary way of how male perfumes may smell like, while sharply representing the philosophy of the Dior Homme line.

I remember the first time I smelled Dior Homme and how I instantly fell in love with it. Traditionally, female perfumes smell a lot like flowers while male perfumes smell a bit like a barber shop: I am not really sure if this is just the way perfume industry and social belief defined how it should be or it is based to something more primitive and animalistic, like hormones and subconscious sexual attraction. Dior Homme came to mix this up.

What is really exceptional here is that Dior Homme goes a lot into the flower based female perfumery, while keeping a strong male core in it. I read a lot of complaints that Dior Homme smells like "lipstick in a leather bag" but this is not the case. Things are not so simple here. Its smell is a lot more complicated, with a lot of layers that slowly develop over time. Iris is really the strong note here, in a creamy and powdery base with hints of leather, which - quite peculiarly - keeps this perfume in the male side of the board.

Moreover what is really remarkable here is that the whole line of Dior Homme fragrances that followed (Intense, Cologne and Parfum) are little pieces of art too. It is really exceptional how they all succeed in taking the base of the original Dior Homme EDT and developing its smell to a different, still elegant and sophisticated level.

I think if someone asks me to describe this perfume in a few words, I would say that this is the definition of class and elegance.

No matter if you will love it or hate it you should give it a try. Dior Homme will be the kind of perfume that everyone's going to mention in the future as an eternal and vital part of male perfumery.

*This review was written after several full wearings of the perfume and not just after smelling this on paper or on wrist.

I like this much better than the Intense version. Dior Homme EDT comes across much fresher with a touch of powdery iris and leather.

Dior Homme Intense smells good but is enormously sweet and way too strong for my tastes. More like a melted chocolate bar in your pocket.

I sniffed this on the strip at Sephora a few times. The top notes smelled carboardish to me and I walked away from it on each occasion.
Then one day I gave myself a good spray and left.

About a half hour later I got out of my car and a breeze picked up the scent and sent it swirling about. I was like, oh wow, this is beautiful.

The worst thing I can say about it is that the scent does have a bit of lipstick-ishness. But if you can get over that, I was able to, this scent is a real gem.

This is the best designer/mainstream fragrance that I own.

Longevity is great for an EDT. Sillage is mighty, too.

This is a 10. What a surprise.

This to me is as good as perfection...... Love at first sniff... This defo better for a day scent, and Intense better for evening, or date night, either way these are what all designer frags should be aiming towards, the quality is undeniably top notch. Quality through and through.
Big thumbs up for me.

Where to start? This wonderful creation has changed my olfactory life! I really don't know where to begin so i'll begin by bouncing off of a previous review:

I disagree that it smells like a women's fragrance. Yes its general feel is sweet (but never sickly) but it smells nothing like any perfume aimed at women, past or present. Its base and background have very traditional masculine notes which is what makes it so beautifully ambiguous. It is a genuinely 21st century perfume, it could not have come from any other time in history. In some ways you could imagine a dandified gent in the 1920's wearing it but i think it's too subtle a scent for that time period.

You will hear and read many people saying that Dior Homme Intense is the better and much improved version of this perfume but i strongly disagree with that notion too. DHI amplifies the most populist aspects of Dior Homme but to my nose it is a sugar-candy cartoon of the original and lacks all the refinement, subtlety and perfect balance of Dior Homme.

There is so much that is perfect about this rare gem of a perfume that i simply don't have the words for. I was completely under its spell from the first time we met and i have never tired of it. It feels warm and cosy without ever feeling overly spiced so i find i can happily wear it all year around. The iris has a gentle sweetness that is just the right level so you would never be accused of wearing some dreadful Britney Spears concoction (!) and the amber, leather, sage and patchouli root the whole fragrance in a groundedness that confirms this to be indeed a masculine fragrance. But of course a masculine fragrance that a woman could well enjoy wearing if she so chose to do so, i think it would make just as intriguing a fragrance on women as it does on men.

And i'm pleased to (selfishly) say i have very rarely encountered Dior Homme on anyone other than myself which either means that is doesn't shout at people or it simply isn't popular with the masses. I think both are true. It probably doesn't appeal to a lot of men, but the ones it does appeal to are just the sort you'd like to know!

I have no doubt in my mind that Dior Homme EDT will go on to be considered an undisputed classic if it is not already and i cannot salute Dior enough for making this their flagship mens line... and for creating trite like Sauvage to distract the tasteless masses!!

One of the most important fragrances in male perfumery history!!

Almost edible!

Very fresh and light with the obvious iris blast. Great for daytime but could easily be worn for more formal settings.

While I love both Intense & Parfum I find that they both lack the elegance of Dior Homme.

Original, Captivating and sophisticated. Love it!!

A very sexy and sensual lip stick scent that i only on very special occasions.
A must have for the sexually active individual.
it just puts me in the mood !

I avoided this one for a while but wish I hadn't. Will surely go down as one of the classics. A unisex scent but I would prefer to describe it as a unique masculine. Has the infamous smell of lipstick, making it an acquired taste for some. I never tire of this one. An all time great from the house of Dior.

A beautiful and ironically unisex iris fragrance, with cardamom, lavender and vetiver. Well done, with a very interestingly slow evolution. Great fragrance. A classic.

Now and then a fragrance is launched that smells completely unique. This is it; and my second bottle! I have the Intense version too.
Like the reviews said it's powdery, old ladies handbag, lipstick, yet warmly masculine all at the same time. The dry down is true to the opening; it has great lasting ability. A wonderful all year fragrance that has garnered some comments. It has become one of my all time favourites.

Mmm...this is very nice. Sweet, but not too sweet...floral, but not too floral. The vetier brings a nice balance to the lavender and iris, and the leather settles it into a delightful gentleman's fragrance that's very, eh..."suited" for formal wear. GREAT! This is another fragrance I'm going to need...I'm a sick man!

Quite possibly one of the greatest fragrances I have ever smelled, the Iris opening to the cocoa drydown is very captivating. I am a sucker for Iris whether it is considered feminine or not, I have always adored the smell and love wearing it. Ever since I was a child I would sneak into my mothers make-up stash and sniff her lipstick because of that Iris smell, i've always loved it.

I wish the Iris stuck with the life of this fragrance but it doesn't, atleast not on me, and that's fine. It does stick around quite a while though, about 1-2 hours. After that it's all cocoa and it smells fantastic, not too sweet, not cloying at all. Just the right amount.

While not trying to impress others, this fragrance is more for the person wearing it.

Packaging: 8.25/10
Quality: 10/10
Scent: 10/10
Uniqueness: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10
Sillage: 7/10
Versatility: 8/10

Overall: 8.75