Reviews of Devin

Overall

Devin by Aramis

Add your review of Devin

Reviews of Devin by Aramis

There are 73 reviews of Devin by Aramis.

Perhaps I should look for a vintage bottle, but I was disappointed with mine from 2015. Comparisons to Polo Green are lost on me other than their shared use of pine and I find Devin altogether different and inferior.

The current formulation is spoiled by its liberal use of galbanum, which is always described as 'grassy', and in
its use of many other seemingly synthetic notes. This gives modern day Devin, a far cry from the Dude of the late 1970s that he once was, a cheap feel and some would say, diminishes the legacy of a classic Aramis creation. Not having smelled the original, I can't comment on that, but it's fair to assume it has been reformulated more than once over the years and a 100ml bottle can be bought at a low price in the UK currently (at c. £20).

I'd call Devin a dated, unspectacular but safe old school men's fragrance which is likely to appeal to fans of Aramis and an older crowd (call me Thomas Hardy, as I'm far from the madding crowd on this one) but wouldn't recommend it if you don't like galbanum, not that it's an obnoxious or overpowering fragrance at all.

Used in the right amounts and as part of a complementary olfactory pyramid, such as in the 1981 version of the animalic green masterpiece Jules by Dior, galbanum works well, but here it is one-dimensional and whilst longevity is very good at over 8 hours, it is not the type of green scent I could ever learn to love. My opinion might change should I every try the vintage version, but for the current one it's thumbs half up / half down.

I am outdoorsman, a naturalist, a conservationist. I am the type that when walking in the woods I really like to drink it all in. I see a log with moss and lichen, mushrooms covering it, I get in close, examine it, am in awe of its splendor. I am in love with everything from the haunting calls of the whippoorwills and loons to the morbid, mysterious beauty of carrion beetles carrying out their work. I admire the whole picture, the good, the beautiful, the bad, the ugly, and how all the tints and hues come together to spell out "home" to me.

This is why Devin is so beautiful to me. The genius of Bernard Chant is that in his works, he tapped into all of these qualities, thereby making his work smell so natural that the average Joe may be taken aback: "this doesn't smell clean, this isn't safe and antiseptic. This isn't right. I am a city man, what do you take me for?" This will certainly not appeal to the 'blue' fragrance lovers of today (at least not until their noses acquire a taste for more complexity and artistry in scent); we currently live in a time where nuance and dynamism is shunned in favor of Disney versions of the natural realm.

Devin was through much of its existence presented as a 'country' eau de cologne, almost as a disclaimer. This has since been removed from the labeling of newer formulations, but the fragrance remains primarily intact. I have an older bottle that just sings the praises of all that is agrestic, raw, rugged (tall pines, herbs, weeds, and grasses, and animalic leather/labdanum), yet vulnerable and tender under the surface (florals, jasmine, lavender, an understated sweetness).

The pine note is the real stand-out for me: it is not a hackneyed Isobornyl Acetate heavy accord but rather a more dynamic pine of needles, resins, sap, bark, wood. We do know that pine and artemisia were often paired together in men's chypres of the day (Quorum and the like), but here, they really somehow stand out as Technicolor, albeit with many muted and tawny shades thrown in. The galbanum brings out the truly green and sappy qualities of pine needles and broken leaves. The cinnamon is far from candied and rough; it really brings out the woodier qualities of pine.

If you have graduated from simpler and hopelessly accessible scents and want to explore something simultaneously thought-provoking and a source of primal pleasure, then Devin is a logical progression in your fragrance journey. Applied with a light hand, this will likely be appreciated by others around you, too. The word "classic" has been mentioned 33 other times so far in the review, and it comes as no surprise. Devin is one of the most beautiful men's fragrances I've smelled, simple as that. It brings a whole new meaning to "taking the rough with the smooth."

I love Aramis and many classic vintage fragrances from the 70s and 80s

Devin has many vintage qualities that I appreciate, mind you, I am commenting on the modern version.

It's vintage through and through but there's a powerful animalic tone that is overpowering and lingers from the start till the end.

Be afraid, be really afraid of the civet/musky note that will not go away!

It is very cheap nowdays tho!

Wow. This is what Polo should have been. A beautiful green, masculine scent. Devin has always been a complement getter for me along with Tuscany. Sadly I find the newer formulation a bit weaker than the original. All the notes are still there, just a bit watered down. Still beautiful and classic! An enthusiastic thumbs up!

I can't believe I missed this amazing classic green scent for so long.
Profoundly green with a chypre undertone, a super warm, sunny-meadow heart, with thickness of jasmine and honey and yet not sweet. Just a little woody sharpness for structure and a ghost of classic aramis holds it together. Genius.
Happy days!

Reminds me of walking along a promenade of pine trees in a hot country in the Med at dusk on the way to dinner. Wonderful smell and settles as a great, mature, green scent. Doesn't have the longevity of the OG Aramis or Havana but still a joy.

sour and vegetal. Cartier Santos and even Bogart Signature similar but fresher and more wearable. With Classic the only Aramis I dislike.

Aramis Devin EDT (current) -

To my nose, Devin is a kissing cousin of Halston Z-14. A very similar grassy, pine and mild cinnamon opening that moves through a heart of soft florals before wrapping up with a base of leather, musk and moss.

I was concerned about the floral heart of this one before I tested as heavy florals are not my preference. I was pleasantly surprised as they blended in with deft subtlety. The blending here is so good that nothing in particular stands out or dominates the overall experience.

Devin offers up a really pleasant composition that would wear comfortably in a casual or formal setting. Like the entire Aramis Gentleman's line, you get a 100ml bottle for around $20 bucks, which is tough to beat. Viva Aramis!

4.5 stars

Now this is a very nice spicy green and musky fragrance. I get the piney leathery piercing green scent straight off the bat. Then you get a dry mossy cedar note which is softened by jasmine and carnation.

The magic of this scent is when it settles you have a green plant like aromas with dry cedar that mixes in with the florals. And this smells really good, the star of the show accord if you like.

Big thumbs up from me and well worth checking out if you like green chypre scents.

I have always loved this perfume. My last encounter with this one was in 2010 in London when I bought this as a gift for my friend. I remember it was made in UK. "Estee Lauder makes perfumes in UK? Oh.. OK" was my reaction then.
I got my new bottle delivered today (I live in Indian administered Kashmir) and it did make me happy in these troubled times. Nothing's changed for this perfume. No reformulated stuff.. no change in aroma. Smells like it always has... nuanced and perfect as always! And,still made in the UK.
This perfume reminds me of my childhood in the eighties when, on marriage ceremonies a large 'majma' or tray shaped utensil containing a mixture of dry fruits, candy and paper money used to smell just like this perfume.
This perfume may smell different things to different people but I note in here (on basenotes) that the memories this perfume evokes are pure bliss and nostalgic.. Such is the power of this fragrance.

What a wonderful green scent this is! To my nose, this is a mix of leather, pine, galbanum (which smells like grass), and jasmine. Beautiful, gentlemanly, old-school chypre that reminds me of Polo Green but is actually better than that by far. Performance is also pretty good (not amazing though). Very good green fragrance overall that reminds me of a rainy day at a golf course.

There's no denying Yatagan and Devin are similar.

They're similar because they are both, in different ways, derived from Aromatics Elixir - but without the coriander and the rose.

From this starting point they develop the AE theme along similar lines - but use different materials. Where Yatagan is animalic - with chamomile and leather, Devin is plant based - using pollen and celeriac.

Because of this, Devin is lighter and smoother than Yatagan and that allows it to express their weird mutual theme with more clarity, which could be why Bernard Chant's Devin got a FiFi and Yatagan didn't.

The award could also be seen as an overdue recognition of Chant's masterpiece, because in 1971, when Aromatics Elixir was released there weren't any FiFi's to hand out.

****

A perfect blend of green plant stems and florals over a leathery chypre base. It's distinctive, yet casual and unassuming.

The most prominent notes are the galbanum, artemisia and jasmine, with touches of pine and carnation. The galbanum and artemisia provide that bitter-green smell from the sap of freshly cut stems that you smell when you walk into a florist. The pine here is smooth and not at all mentholated as it is in Polo green, making it more garden green than forest or golf-course green. The jasmine brings a bit of florals and a sort-of hay-like animalic pong that blends the greens with the leather as the fragrance develops. The dry down is a subtle amber and oakmoss that slowly sweeten up the fragrance as the bitter green notes subside.

The result is that the vibe is much more casual outdoors picnic than the stuffy country-club association you might get from Polo. The performance fits in with this casual vibe - it lasts a good 8 hours, always there but never projecting obnoxiously. This suits me perfectly, I use it as my weekend daytime scent year round.

10/10.

It was the 70s, and as young ballet dancers we mostly wore Eau de Love, Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, Sweet Earth solid perfumes by Coty, Muguet (also by Coty) and Jovan Grass Oil, which I sure wish I had now.

At some point my friend Dorian got a bottle of Alliage, and then I got it, too, since it was supposed to be a "sport fragrance" - I remember a magazine ad with Karen Graham in a white tennis hat. The bitter green opening was different from anything I'd smelled, and I really loved it. But trying it a year or so ago in revisiting all things green, I still loved the bitter green, but not the drydown.

So I was excited to discover Devin.

This is a masculine?! Not to question anybody's masculinity, but it's got the greens from Alliage plus a sweet, resinous base - classic Lauder with components I recognize from Youth Dew - so I'm happy to claim it as one of my current favorites.

My mind drifted just now to Goutal's Eau de Camille, which had a similar green and leafy (privet) opening and evolved into a juxtaposition of green + sweet syringa and honeysuckle. Devin really IS butch compared to the ephemeral Goutal, yet I think my instant love for the Goutal when it came out was probably due in part to a subliminal association I made to my old friend Alliage. I don't really think of myself as much of a Lauder person, but as someone who grew up in the States as a card-carrying member of 20th Century mall culture, they actually played a big part in forming my taste in fragrance.

Devin's inexpensive, but it doesn't smell cheap, and the lasting power is like an EDP. So now I check out classic masculines based on this discovery - who knows what else I've been missing all these years?

My old friend Devin
Your clarity, class and warmth
Remembered fondly.

An old style made new
A ladies' man - clean but with
A whiff of scandal.

The truer scandal
That I walked away from you
For an illusion.

Fragrance not my own
Costume, pretense, vanity
False fragrance, false love.

Lessons of my life
Learned, forgotten, learned again
As I smell you now.

Yet you aged quite well
Growing even more refined
With each passing year.

Go in peace, old friend
Let us keep what can be kept
Your beauty, my age.

This is exactly like a mixture of Caron Yatagan and Red For Men by Giorgio. Absolutely beautiful. Excellent longevity and sillage for a cologne. The Leather note here is like a high quality, soft, supple leather that has been treated with Mink Oil. Yet another masterpiece by the house of Aramis. Aramis never disappoints. Easy on the trigger. Spray under the shirt, not on exposed skin because it is very animalic.

outstanding classic. absolutely oldschool masculine.

Devin by Aramis (1978) is the third stand-alone fragrance in the Aramis line, following Aramis 900 (1973) and Aramis Chromatics (1973), after the original Aramis by Estée Lauder (1965) was given its own line in 1965. This fragrance was marketed as and sometimes still gets referred to as a "Country Cologne", in the same manner that Aramis 900 and Chromatics were called "Herbal Cologne" and "Metallic Cologne" respectively, and was the last Aramis to be composed by Bernard Chant. All signs point to Devin being a reactionary release of sorts, as the previous two fragrances were really just re-workings by Chant of feminine-market perfumes Chant or others at IFF at the time created for other divisions of Lauder, who would later go on record as being tired of the narrower scent profiles typically worked within for the men's fragrance market. If 900 and Chromatics were subverting Clinique Aromatics Elixir (1971) and Alliage Sport Spray (1972), then Devin was more or less the first truly original men's fragrance Chant made for Aramis, and also the last. Devin doesn't really smell all that much like anything from the Lauder Companies stables, although one could really stretch the theory that bits of Azurée by Estée Lauder (1969) ended up in here, if only the base bits. I say that because clearly Bernard turned out another leather chypre, as he seemed wont to do outside of 900 when dealing with men's fragrances. Devin is a special kind of leather chypre though, one that imbues a lot of green herbal grassy elements, with a sneaky bit of floral oomph in the heart, all in an attempt to live up the claims of a unhurried bucolic lifestyle that the scent claims to exemplify. I think it does that, but mostly as a reaction to something else.

That something else was Ralph Lauren Polo (1977), a scent that was taking the men's market by storm and soon would even more into the 1980's. The green chypre style was bleeding into both sides of the fragrance counter; and while women mostly felt it in their floral fragrances, men were seeing it in the form of heavily-fortified patchouli leather and pine things, crisscrossed with with herbs, tobacco or benzoin. In Polo's case, a standard was set for sheer density of this green pastiche, and I feel Devin was set to rival it with a more-hospitable blue-collar country small-town aesthetic. You will definitely feel the galbanum and artemisia in the opening, alongside bergamot and thyme, with bits of rounding lemon. The leather from the isobutyl quinoline and benzoin is evident right away too, enriched with oakmoss, then softened with a bit of a dandy heart. That heart consists mostly of carnation and jasmine indoles, with some cinnamon that makes Devin feel like it shares some DNA with Halston Z-14 (1976). Mostly, the leather structure here feels like it bridges Polo to later green leathers like Dunhill Blend 30 (1978) or Dior Jules (1980), but only vaguely. Mostly, I feel a connection to Moschino pour Homme (1990) in the way carnation plays a big role in the heart of the leather, before patchouli, incense, labdanum, and various animal-tinged musks enter the fray. The benzoin keeps this clean and smooth, plus there may be a speck of vanilla here too, offering another bridge to Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men (1984). Wear time is going to hit eight hours, and sillage is steady but not a monster like the eponymous Aramis fragrance. My suggested use is in spring or fall, maybe winter if applied a bit heavier. Where to use this is up to you, but Devin does feel a bit on the formal side, so far as tweed jackets with elbow patches go.

Is Devin something you need in a well-stocked collection featuring deep vintage specimens of anything I've named above? No, certainly not, and that is probably the scent's biggest shortcoming. By 1978 men's fragrances were getting louder, more statement-making, and self-assured, as the mainstream baby boomer male fragrance buyer was coming of age and full of confidence granted by having the best upbringing and most resources at his fingertips of any generation before and likely after, really "feeling his oats" and wanting something that proclaimed his virility and intent to conquer all around him. Devin on the other hand, was too Willie Nelson at a time when guys wanted Van Halen, and although packed to the gills with aromatic density, was too laid-back for its own good. Nowadays we "settle" for psycho-emotional "perfume journeys" or just good old-fashioned "atta-boys" in the form of compliments, So Devin still strikes out. However, where Devin perhaps shines brightest, is in the decades since many of these other louder green things got discontinued or reformulated into oblivion. Most of what I've mentioned save the Polo and the Giorgio are gone; or in case of the Dior, region-locked and online-only. Since Devin was re-issued in 2009 as part of the Aramis Gentlemen's Collection, it got a second chance to scratch the vintage enthusiast's itch where these others cannot due to scarcity or dealing with bad reforms. The collection itself has since been discontinued too, and some of its entries like Aramis JHL (1982) have since ascended to unicorn status in both myth and price, but Devin is still here for now, living life enjoyably in the slow lane and waiting for you to join in. Thumbs up

Aramis Devin was a blind buy for me in my recent interest to try out vintage juices. Now I didn't hate it, however this is far different than what I expected, based on reviews. As a scent itself, it is not hideous. It doesn't make me want to vomid, it is actually pleasant as a normal scent. However can't imagine it as something for a man to put on his skin and go to the office, or to an event!. I'd say it suits more to a grandma, or to a priest!

Top: I get a crisp citrusy smell, overlayed with significant bergamot. This goes away in few minutes.

Mid: Very floral and green. Jasmin is the main smell I could pick, perhaps that's why I didn't find it masculine. Also some leathery, creamy, green vibe going on here. I also smell a soft orange blossom, but that could well be something else..

Base: Now that's where it goes really bad. I must quote my girlfriend here: "This smells like inside of a church, the church candles!" And you know what, it is so true. The base is what you smell in those old churches, the moisty incense, candle-like smell. To make it worse, it is the majority of its lifecycle on your skin.

Overall, I can use this as an aftershave, maybe at home every now and then as a cologne like my grandma used to make at home - but no way near a classy, elegant man scent I had in mind. A no brainer to try before buy, definetely NOT FOR EVERYONE.

I like fragrances which are on the woody, green and leathery side. Got hooked to Cartier's EDT and EDT Concentree and have been using them for close to 15 years!

Anyways this one is about Aramis Devin. The small bottle does pack a punch!
On day 1, i sprayed a generous amount of this Devi(l)n and i regretted it the whole day. I thought it would settle down but this devi(l)n clung onto me like a badger and the intensity barely subsided even towards the end of the day.

Not one to give up on fragrances easily, I gave the fragrance a try on Day 2 and I toned down the quantity in a big way - restricting myself to just 4-5 quick sprays...and the results were fabulous.
On Day 2 I found that the fragrance was not too strong in the beginning and nicely lingered towards the end of the day.
Of course it kinda died out slowly after 10 hours+ but it persisted a long while and emitted very earthy notes.

So Devi(l)n Aramis is a basic, earthy elements like fragrance - wood, leather and farm/fields.
Needs to be worn in small quantities for best results.

Almost three years ago I gave Devin by Aramis a thumbs down for two reasons. I wasn't used to labdanum for one and the amber mixture struck me as very common of a 70's fragrance. Bringing this bottle out of retirement I came to appreciate Devin a lot!

This opens up bitter-green and herbal with galbanum and a light amount of pine. You get a wash of an amber containing a little bit of both cinnamon and jasmine combo surfaces and all comes together with the green introducing a somewhat boozy structure. A lot of leather comes forward in this scent. I agree with others that say this fragrance has a very animalic musk coursing through. The boozy amber character softens a little from a powdery form of cedarwood.

Devin by Aramis is a very masculine and rich fragrance so it's not shocking really it's tamed to an Eau De Cologne to not be overwhelming in strength and projection.There's a lot of heavy notes at work here. If you're a fan of Aramis(1965) and haven't tried Devin yet...you're missing out.

Devin just about gets a thumps up. At first the Aramis house note threatens to overpower the construction. After some wears the true character becomes perceptible although the lack of power in combination with superior blending make analysis pretty tough.

This creation from 1978 is green, sunny and woody. It has a very pleasurable opening which proceeds to an interplay with a fairly strong animalic phase which makes me think of the way fresh wooden furniture tends to smell dirty. The dry down radiates a quiet masculine aura that is quite comforting.

Devin by all rights should be a good to great fragrance but in the end misses character. It's just too muted (although this admittedly makes it easy to wear.) I can't help equating Devin to a good-looking square jaw who loves the outdoors but has a dull personality.

Devin is a precursor to more interesting scents like the beautiful Heritage and eccentric Jules. But it is affordable, easy to find, well-made and straight-up manly without being in your face about it. The kind of scent that wears well in autumn and winter when wearing a nice thick sweater.

green,woody and slightly animalic, definitely old school, but such a pleasure to wear

A scrubber for me.
Galbanum was too overpowering.
Too bitter green for my taste