Dark Amber & Ginger Lily
Jo Malone London (2008)

Overall

About Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone London

Jo Malone London

Part of the Kohdo Wood collection.

Reviews of Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone London

I really enjoy this. Not your typical JM, but typical of JM intense line but on the lighter side. If you like Amber you will enjoy this. However, it is a lighter amber and is not as warm as most. This is so easy to wear and is a no brainer. It's an easy grab and go scent, perfect for most all settings. I find it beautiful for day or evening wear, however, I personally would not wear this for formal wear or a special occassion. while it is beautiful I just don't find that it has enough complexity for that. It's a safe blind buy and I think would make a great gift.
Jul 22, 2020

This stuff just smells great! It smells great when you put it on, and it still smells great at the end of the day. Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is very linear on my skin. I've read some reviews that say it goes from a nice opening and then changes to something less desirable, but that's not the way this wears for me. It smells virtually the same from start to finish and I really like it. I get cardamom throughout the wear as well as ginger, incense and some amber to sweeten it up a bit. I don't think this smells overly feminine on me and I'd love to have a full bottle of this fragrance. I think it's a winner!
Jul 26, 2019

A markedly feminine fragrance from Jo Malone's "Cologne Intense Collection."

Fragrance notes:
Top = black cardamom, ginger, pink pepper;
Middle = jasmine, orchid, water lily, rose;
Base notes = leather, sandalwood, kyara incense, patchouli, black amber.

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is a spicy-balsamic fragrance, with ginger, cardamom, and sandalwood notes dominating, with waxy ambergris and water lily not far behind. Orchid is evident, with its sweet powdery note, as is the sizzle of pink pepper deep within.

The result is a creamy, woody, spicy formulation that isn't forebodingly "dark" as the bottle color (and part of the fragrance name) suggest. It's a genuinely pleasing scent that a guy MAY wear with some credibility, but I still think it's more appropriate on a woman. YOU be the judge. :-)
Oct 6, 2018

Basenotes also lists "Kohdo Wood Collection : Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone", so I'm confused about which one I'm actually sampling here. My small atomizer is simply labeled "Dark Amber & Ginger Lily / Jo Malone".
Whichever one this is, I'm addicted.
On my first sampling, I rated "below average" since the opening was overwhelmingly bitter woods. I just hadn't given it enough time.
As it develops over an hour or so, at least on my skin, it becomes lighter, powdery and intoxicating. A night-time, sensual fragrance for evenings at home. And contrary to many reviews here, this scent lasts and lasts on me, improving with each hour.
It's one of the stars of my small collection.
Sep 20, 2017

This is really interesting at first. It delivers. Amber, ginger and lily. For about 45 seconds.

Then it all disappears and becomes your usual chemically offensive melange.

Oh, now the not listed nasty oud note comes in and obliterates what's left of our trusting olfactory nerves.

Yet another olfactory disaster from this experimental company that never quite GETS IT!
Aug 10, 2017

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily feels really out of place in the Jo Malone collection. It's rich and thick and kind of dark and I can see why her fans may not like it. That being said, I find it unique and compelling and very well done.

So what does it smell like? Well, it's an amber, which is usually made by combining resins and incense with vanilla. But Jo Malone constructs this one using that sweetened condensed milk smell made famous by Angel instead of the common vanilla, so it has a weird sweet richness. There's some pencil-shavings cedar in the topnotes, while the lily comes across as a white floral. The end result is frankly quite weird. Sweet milk and amber and woods and flowers that all come together to smell like rich, compelling goo. Definitely worth a sniff if you're into "oriental" fragrances or just looking for something unique but beautiful.
Nov 12, 2016

Show more reviews of Dark Amber & Ginger Lily...

Add your review of Dark Amber & Ginger Lily