Daim Blond

Overall

About Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Serge Lutens

Reviews of Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

There are 82 reviews of Daim Blond by Serge Lutens.

Pale suede that smells of hot sand and apricot.
Stripped of the usual curlicues Daim Blond is an oxymoron, a spartan oriental; more understated than Arabie and Ambre Sultan, and I would say more ground breaking.
It's beautiful in it's own way, but it's a hard beauty to find. Daim Blond doesn't work on paper, this bitter-sweet fruit of the desert only ripens on skin, and then not for long.
May 3, 2021

I enjoy Hawthorn as a note. Here with cardamom, it has a slight but fleeting gasoline-mist accord. I find that fascinating and beautiful. Iris and suede, I smell next. There's a slight fruity, almost creamy feel. Musk begins to pervade.

I find Daim Blond to be soothing and delicate. It has a different take on iris and leather, that I've not experienced before. It is evocative for me. Inspiring. The suede-leather lasts and lasts.
Apr 3, 2019

Ostensibly, this is a mix of ionones (violets over suede) and iris, but there's so much else happening here that it feels unfair to lump it in with the rest of that genre.

Sniffed up close on skin, the smell is puzzling but captivating, a mix of fresh laundry, kheer (the Indian rice pudding flavored with cardamom), and vague fruity tea. There's something in there that combines all of these disparate elements and makes them all smell like some sort of alcoholic beverage, perhaps a yeasty French champagne or the fermenting rice smell of a sake factory. I know this all sounds strange, but it all has the smooth texture of musky suede, so it works.

But then there's the sillage, a gorgeous cloud of violets, plum, and sandalwood that's kind of like Feminite du Bois reimagined as an aperitif, which hovers nicely but that doesn't register when smelled up close (I think this may be why so many people write this off as "weak").

The drydown is the suede and iris you'd expect from something like this, but deepened with that greasepaint makeup smell you get from the drydown of peach aldehydes, as well as a pinch of Serge's signature honeyed base.

This is quite good, and I'll echo the other reviewers who suggest picking this up while it's cheap and plentiful. It may be a bit weird for a blind buy, but if you're a confident fan of iris/suede perfumes, this is definitely one of the more interesting ones.
Jan 24, 2019

Portrait of Lunia Czechowska by Amedeo Modigliani 1919
Oct 16, 2017

A beautiful fragrance that is very wearable. So light, but with enough body to transport your positive emotions on it's soft, sweet, suede wafts of powder. I'm not a lover of powdery scents, but Daim Blonde isn't just a powdery scent, it has it's own understated but desirable quality that speaks for itself. I've only worn it once, but I already love it. Another bottle worthy Lutens to be sure.
Apr 23, 2017

Lutens is responsible for the best iris suede on the market, his Iris Silver Mist. Daim Blond (Golden Suede) is a much quieter take on this suede note. More center stage is the dried apricot/peach vibe with the suede quietly in the back ground.

It is one of the lightest of the Lutens scents (at this point I have reviewed exactly half of the 62 listed on Basenotes), almost undetectable on my skin despite many applications. I find it to be too subtle for my enjoyment. Had the oils been denser, I might have enjoyed this more.

As it is, it is a pleasant light peach/apricot suede, neither bad nor outstanding.
May 12, 2016

Show more reviews of Daim Blond...

Add your review of Daim Blond