Cuirs

Overall

Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

About Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

Carner Barcelona

Part of the 'Woody' collection.

Where to buy Cuirs

Reviews of Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

There are 19 reviews of Cuirs by Carner Barcelona.

Let's start with some positives: the heart and dry-down ain't too bad. Thank the Lord for the nagarmotha and cistus somewhat holding back the synthetic washover of (if only it were...) oud and gaiac wood, or that would have been a disaster too. Right, that's about it for positives. I'm not even going to go into the entire debate about how derivative and unoriginal this really is, because (another backhanded positive) ultimately whatever it is meant to be derivative of lacks the defining characteristic of this demonic excretion - its top notes. There's plenty of things I associate cumin and saffron with, and they are all, in their own realms, desirable: Persian food, Sicilian pasta dishes and, my favourite, Indian curries. But am I alone in thinking that I absolutely do NOT want to smell like a lamb stew or a chicken tikka, nor even like a sauce of prawns and cream worked through tagliatelle? And am I alone in not having the patience required, or the optimism, to disregard twenty minutes of smelling exactly like that (and, to be honest, mostly like a rogan josh) in order to reach the heart and drydown described above? And am I alone in thinking that, with the possible exception of cistus and oud (if it were oud), none of the ingredients mentioned - and certainly not bloody cumin! - have anything to do with leather? Part of me thinks I should like to smell this on someone else, just for the faint hope that I won't be getting olfactory messages from my local tandoori place while doing so, in which case I can forgive the wearer and put it down to some personalised happenstance that prevents me - and only me? - from appreciating this fragrance properly. But since 'properly' means personally, in my own most ways and capacities, I'm calling this a total no-go.

For someone with a name that means Son of the Smith, I have a strange dislike of metallic things, especially odours.
And there's a metal odour about this; like 'metallic urinal cake' or ivory soap - wrapped in medicated toilet tissue and soaking in a metal dish.
It's a woody amber & 'ood', a hint of clean urinal, a strong metallic note; no leather anywhere.

Mostly sandalwoood, smooth cistus and spices on my skin. Yes Carner Barcelona seems focused on (I'd not say rip-offs but) olfactory uninspired attempts of reinterpretation (in order to bè diplomatic). It is undeniable that in this case scents a la Montale Aoud Musk, Les Liquides Imaginaires Fortis, Nasomatto Black Afgano and Duro, Tiziana Terenzi Laudano Nero, Marc de la Morandiere Kozmic Oud, Bruno Acampora Nero, Orto Parisi Boccanera and most of all LM Black Oud jump intensely on mind. Carner Cuirs is definitely an accord of musk, cistus, leather and woody resins with a sheer sandalwoood-presence and an intense balmy-spicy core (I get cinnamon, saffron and probably cumin). Yes it smells finally kind of watered down (and this is not straightforwardly a bad news). The opening is by soon kind of smoky, quite woody and vaguely suedish, with mild spices and a sort of balmy/soapy (vaguely gourmandish) background (hints of honey, coffee?). Yes along the way it seems to lose its initial strenght and smells softer, less potent and smoky than "Black Afgano" or I'd say Laudano Nero. I detect creamy woodiness, hints of citrus, synth super spicy resins, patch, woods and soft suede. Cedarwood provides that dry harshness that Alfarom connects partially to Montale Dark Aoud. I agree that Cuirs (despite the cistus-musky presence) lacks that intensely green herbal vibe provided by cannabis that "Black Afgano" unfolds while the woody and smoky parts are present and less vivid. Over the first smoky/woody/citric blast it smells linear (spicy/resinous/woody/musky) to the end. If you wanna find a superior (more elegant and wearable) solution on this "intensely gloomy" genre stick to the great Bruno Acampora Nero. Dry down smells a tad too sweet anyway, my rating is barely medium at moment.

Blind bought a 50ml bottle, that I thought was a good deal.

All I get is cumin and saffron on top, and a blend of patchouli, labdanum, woods and pepper which give an idea of oud. Like previous reviewers stated before, if you want to smell leather, look elsewhere.

As for similarities, to my nose it's 20%LM Black Oud and 80% Gucci Intense Oud. Similarities to Nasomatto Black Afgano is vague and limited to the chocolaty/oudy drydown. Don't expect a clone of NBA, but a copy of GIO reminding of LMBO.

Sounds good, except that... the projection is VERY soft. Unacceptable at this price point.
I had Terenzi LN and LM Black Oud on the other arm, and as stated before it's similar to BO in the top and drydown, but has no similarity at all with LN (nor in scent nor in performance).

Thumbs down for me.

Hi Quality Aromachemical Ambered Tonka, Musk with a point to a distant coffee-ed, celery-ed Leather and support upon contemporary Sandal. Yawn.
50 ml of Arbole Arbole cures any incline to this area of study.

Not sure I detect much of the leather that would justify the nomenclature, but after testing I would have to say that the experience has been positive. A woody oriental redolent of the Amouage line and of a much updated version of Jaipur Homme.

Like the latter, there is cumin at the opening, but much, much more subtle. One of the achievements of the Amouage scents I have tried is that they present an oud note in an acceptable and palatable way. This achievement is shared by Cuirs. The listed woods are all detectable, with cistus and a touch of amber, and makes for a dry and slightly spicy drydown. I wonder what a touch of lavender might have achieved?

So all in all, I don't see a problem here. It's clearly not made that much of an impact going by the reviews, but I would imagine those interested in the genre would get something by stopping here a while. Interesting (to me) to note that I tried this on the same day as Gucci's terrific Guilty Absolute, which has points for comparison in the sense of being a dry leather and woods scent, but which takes a much simpler tack with fewer accords and no spice to speak of. If you had to make a straight choice between them (as I asked Mrs FWF), it might come down to whether you prefer the elegance of the Gucci or the slight exoticism of the Carner. At the moment, that would be a difficult, but pleasant, choice.

Show more reviews of Cuirs...

Add your review of Cuirs