Cuirs
Carner Barcelona (2011)

Overall

About Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

Carner Barcelona

Part of the 'Woody' collection.

Where to buy Cuirs

Reviews of Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

Mostly sandalwoood, smooth cistus and spices on my skin. Yes Carner Barcelona seems focused on (I'd not say rip-offs but) olfactory uninspired attempts of reinterpretation (in order to bè diplomatic). It is undeniable that in this case scents a la Montale Aoud Musk, Les Liquides Imaginaires Fortis, Nasomatto Black Afgano and Duro, Tiziana Terenzi Laudano Nero, Marc de la Morandiere Kozmic Oud, Bruno Acampora Nero, Orto Parisi Boccanera and most of all LM Black Oud jump intensely on mind. Carner Cuirs is definitely an accord of musk, cistus, leather and woody resins with a sheer sandalwoood-presence and an intense balmy-spicy core (I get cinnamon, saffron and probably cumin). Yes it smells finally kind of watered down (and this is not straightforwardly a bad news). The opening is by soon kind of smoky, quite woody and vaguely suedish, with mild spices and a sort of balmy/soapy (vaguely gourmandish) background (hints of honey, coffee?). Yes along the way it seems to lose its initial strenght and smells softer, less potent and smoky than "Black Afgano" or I'd say Laudano Nero. I detect creamy woodiness, hints of citrus, synth super spicy resins, patch, woods and soft suede. Cedarwood provides that dry harshness that Alfarom connects partially to Montale Dark Aoud. I agree that Cuirs (despite the cistus-musky presence) lacks that intensely green herbal vibe provided by cannabis that "Black Afgano" unfolds while the woody and smoky parts are present and less vivid. Over the first smoky/woody/citric blast it smells linear (spicy/resinous/woody/musky) to the end. If you wanna find a superior (more elegant and wearable) solution on this "intensely gloomy" genre stick to the great Bruno Acampora Nero. Dry down smells a tad too sweet anyway, my rating is barely medium at moment.

Apr 24, 2020

Blind bought a 50ml bottle, that I thought was a good deal.

All I get is cumin and saffron on top, and a blend of patchouli, labdanum, woods and pepper which give an idea of oud. Like previous reviewers stated before, if you want to smell leather, look elsewhere.

As for similarities, to my nose it's 20%LM Black Oud and 80% Gucci Intense Oud. Similarities to Nasomatto Black Afgano is vague and limited to the chocolaty/oudy drydown. Don't expect a clone of NBA, but a copy of GIO reminding of LMBO.

Sounds good, except that... the projection is VERY soft. Unacceptable at this price point.
I had Terenzi LN and LM Black Oud on the other arm, and as stated before it's similar to BO in the top and drydown, but has no similarity at all with LN (nor in scent nor in performance).

Thumbs down for me.
Apr 11, 2019

Hi Quality Aromachemical Ambered Tonka, Musk with a point to a distant coffee-ed, celery-ed Leather and support upon contemporary Sandal. Yawn.
50 ml of Arbole Arbole cures any incline to this area of study.
Oct 28, 2018

Not sure I detect much of the leather that would justify the nomenclature, but after testing I would have to say that the experience has been positive. A woody oriental redolent of the Amouage line and of a much updated version of Jaipur Homme.

Like the latter, there is cumin at the opening, but much, much more subtle. One of the achievements of the Amouage scents I have tried is that they present an oud note in an acceptable and palatable way. This achievement is shared by Cuirs. The listed woods are all detectable, with cistus and a touch of amber, and makes for a dry and slightly spicy drydown. I wonder what a touch of lavender might have achieved?

So all in all, I don't see a problem here. It's clearly not made that much of an impact going by the reviews, but I would imagine those interested in the genre would get something by stopping here a while. Interesting (to me) to note that I tried this on the same day as Gucci's terrific Guilty Absolute, which has points for comparison in the sense of being a dry leather and woods scent, but which takes a much simpler tack with fewer accords and no spice to speak of. If you had to make a straight choice between them (as I asked Mrs FWF), it might come down to whether you prefer the elegance of the Gucci or the slight exoticism of the Carner. At the moment, that would be a difficult, but pleasant, choice.
Feb 17, 2018

"Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul"... my Cuirs.

Best perfume buying of my life.
Feb 10, 2018

Cuirs is a great fragrance from Carner Barcelona. Sometimes OUD can be overwhelming but in this fragrance it is blended the right way. Sweet and spicy. It does smell like Black Afgano but sweeter not as strong. It is a perfect fragrance for the Fall/Winter. Longevity is very good, lasts up to 8 hours on me.
Oct 25, 2017

Show more reviews of Cuirs...

Add your review of Cuirs