Costa Azzurra (new)
Tom Ford (2021)

Overall

About Costa Azzurra (new) by Tom Ford

Tom Ford

Where to buy Costa Azzurra (new)

Reviews of Costa Azzurra (new) by Tom Ford

There are 5 reviews of Costa Azzurra (new) by Tom Ford.

For me this is the best of the French Riveria Style of citrus exemplified by Aqua di Parma. The turn off for me is that all this style of fragrance are incredibly dated. They always transport me to those wooden decked sailing yatchts that some billionaires clog the harbours up with. Or simply put it reminds me of Some Like it Hot. So maybe for a fancy dress but not really for every day. Not if you are really interested and have had a good sniff around.
Tom Ford is probably the best of the lot as it has a sharp woody incensy vibe running throughout the experience from opening to dry down but the longevity is still poor and its really quite a timid fragrance. Not a joyous or considering the sillage and duration especially manly.
This gets a bare thumbs up but certainly not FBW. For me at least.
Nov 26, 2021

I tried this yesterday and liked it but later in the day couldn't escape that I had smelled this before. Pretty sure it was Carolina Herrera for men via 1991. Pretty much the same scent but Herrera was much more affordable.
Sep 21, 2021

I had a strong 90s epiphany with this one. Somehow the smell was very familiar, as if I had smelled this before, and then I realised it reminded me of Karl Langerfeld's "Photo" which was a smash hit perfume from 1990, probably because of the lavender-lemon combo. It is a very sweet fougere, but I can't say I enjoy this one really.
Apr 28, 2021

This is a surprisingly retro fragrance, in a 90's kind of way. The soapiness of it reminds me of CK One (Calvin Klein) or the likes of Polo Blue (Ralph Lauren) and Tommy (Tommy Hilfiger). On one hand I find it very preppy, almost juvenile while on the other hand it reminds me of airport tax free shops, gym changing rooms and night club rest rooms. Needless to say this is not a fragrance for me but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it back in the 90's.
Mar 5, 2021

Okay Tom Ford, I see you over there with the 50 pages worth of listed notes, but what is actually in Tom Ford Costa Azzurra (2021)? For starters, this is a retooling of the Private Blend iteration of Tom Ford Costa Azzura (2014) and re-release into the Signature Line in the same manner that Tom Ford has done with several other Private Blend releases, but sees a bit more noticeable of a shift in tone than the previous transfers to the Signature Line. The original Costa Azzura was an aquatic and this new version is not, so right away there's that to get past. Secondly, with the birth of this new Signature Line entry comes the death of so many other Signature Line fragrances loved by the online fragrance community, including Tom Ford Noir (2012) and Tom Ford Noir Anthracite (2017), meaning Costa Azzurra feels something like a signifier of a more-commercial direction change for the house (also read "the death of the brand"). I'm not so sure how accurate this is considering stuff in darling genres to the fragrance community like Ombré Leather (2018) and Beau de Jour (2020) got put into the Signature Line too, so let's just say that Tom Ford maybe just decided to switch out one retro vibe for another, with this newest Signature Line adoption feeling like the first thing he's put out in that line which targets a distinct early 90's aesthetic. Costa Azzurra is marketed unisex, but one sniff will communicate 90's "men's cologne".

Let's get out of the way the fact that there is no discernable oud in this scent, despite whatever the Baskin Robbins 31 flavors note pyramid tells you. I get a very similar golden fruity sort of ozonic feel which reminds me very much of vintage Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger (1994), which considering that brand is also governed by Estée Lauder like Tom Ford, makes this linkage a very real possibility. Once the heart heats up, things change in tone to become more resinous yet still slickly modern like a better take on Acqua di Colonia Assoluta (2003), with standout ozonic citrus and fruit notes of the top being mulled with cardamom, benzoin, juniper, herbs, and patchouli. The base is richer still, offering a golden almost Chanel No. 5 (1921) type glow minus any animalic facets with a synthetic oakmoss chypre riff blended into olibanum and mastic with bit of vanilla. Gone are the aquatic top notes from this version, with the only thing really linking it to the old Costa Azzurra being the fruitiness and floral parts of the scent. The base is the biggest difference here, and the decision to go more with citrus than remain aquatic is the deciding factor over whether or not you'll like this version. Wear time is a long noticeable 10 hours and this feels best as a casual spring through fall scent but is warm enough for year-round use in climate-controlled evironments with brief jaunts between car/bus/taxi and wherever you're headed when outside on a cold day. I think a woman could pull this off if they were fans of that golden fruity ozonic period and wore stuff like Creed Millésime Impérial (1995) at that time, and you could almost say this is Ford's answer to it.

Tom Ford Costa Azzurra does fill a sort of niche lacking in the Signature Line up until this point, and that was for a fresh dumb-reach kind of scent that didn't feel like a throwaway aquatic a la many Nautica releases, but also wasn't the stiff traditional masculinity of something like Grey Vetiver (2009). We may never see a fully abstract post-aquatic "blue" fragrance like Bleu de Chanel (2010) or Dior Sauvage (2015) enter the range to fill this need, and that's a good thing. I don't believe the usual Tom Ford customer is looking to smell like they're keeping up with The Joneses, but also doesn't want to scour eBay for overpriced surviving examples of truly vintage fragrances, so they buy into the slightly less-overpriced "repackaged timelessness" that is essentially Tom Ford perfumes. Costa Azzurra is the first time TF masculines have targeted a 90's style, as past entries have floated between the powdery animalic glory days of Guerlain in the 20's to the very hairy-chested Burt Reynolds vibe of the 70's and 80's, most of which represents stuff sadly culled from the TF line-up. While aforementioned options still exist if you wanna get your prestige postmodernism groove on, it is nice to see TF do something that isn't an ambery or smoky baroque period piece but still clearly inspired by things we don't see much of anymore. I mean, who wears Tommy anymore (besides me)? However you slice it, Costa Azzurra is potentially divisive, but a needed drop of sunshine on an otherwise overly serious (and overly expensive) line. Thumbs up.
Feb 25, 2021

Add your review of Costa Azzurra (new)