Reviews of Coco Blanc
House of Matriarch (2012)

Overall

Coco Blanc by House of Matriarch

Add your review of Coco Blanc

Reviews of Coco Blanc by House of Matriarch

There are 14 reviews of Coco Blanc by House of Matriarch.

This one goes on with a fleeting impression of sweetness that's quickly overwhelmed by massoia wood spiced with cumin. I also smell patchouli here, but only for the first ten minutes. After this, it settles into thick, buttery sandalwood, but retains that element of spice. From here it slowly dries down to a nutty base, very soft after the five hour mark, but still there eight hours in.
I expected more coconut/white chocolate/vanilla here, but I don't really detect them. As other reviewers have stated, this is not a sweet, yummy gourmand, but something more grown-up & complex. I'd prefer it to project more strongly, but I'll have to try dousing myself with it to see if that makes a difference.

Great gourmand! It's not the mouthwatering type nor the cloyingly sweet type, overboard vanilla. It has a restrained coconut with a touch of chai spices. It dries down to a familiar base of honey (or something slightly sweet and dry, but not musk to my nose). I recognize it from another one of her fragrances, maybe Orca.

Interesting: yes. Not sure if this is full bottle worthy. The verdict is still out with me. I did buy a travel size for my wife. This is the first fragrance that I've brought home that she said she would actually wear.

It's like roasted marshmallows around the campfire. Not s'mores, just the burnt marshmallow right out of the fire. The vanilla is great so you might have someone who will want to cuddle and get closer for a good sniff. Projection and longevity are good.

Like many perfume snobs, I tend to not like gourmands that much, but Coco Blanc is weird enough to keep me happy, while also being gloriously edible.

The coconut smells like that dried, shredded coconut used in baking, coated with sugar and vanilla frosting. Meanwhile, there's a woody element, made strangely sweaty and meaty with quite a bit of cumin. The result of this is one of those mixes that shouldn't work - the olfactory equivalent of mixing German chocolate cake frosting in a forest with an extremely sweaty guy holding taco meat. It should be just dreadful, but is somehow not just compelling in its weirdness, but actually kind of beautiful.

This is just plain yummy – it's like eating super rich, creamy white chocolate while you're standing in the middle of an Indian spice shop. It's warm and smoky and delicious. Full bottle worthy for sure!

Hmmm!!
I may have to invest in a tot of this!
It would sit alongside of a Bottle of O'Driu
Pathetique. Masculine.
This is the fragrance of the bodies of Myself and my Queen after a day of.
Lounging around on the beach of our private Caribbean Isle. Bathing in our Freshwater pool sans fragrance. Rubbed down with Cocoa Butter and Vanilla derived from the island's small, wild oasis.
We are laying on the beach, gazing at a slightly hazy full Moon.

Chocolate and Vanilla Petits Pots de Crème.

2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1/8 cup blond cane sugar
2 cups whole milk
1 vanilla bean, split open and seeds scraped out
50 g white chocolate
1 tsp unsweetened white cocoa powder

More than a Tot I think.

Coco Blanc represents, at least on paper, the polar opposite to what generally draws me into fragrance and yet, it's surprisingly fascinating. A fatty, oily mix of milky notes, massoia and butter paired to a super-spiced, kind of chai-tea accord laying on a slightly dirty woody-musky base. Honestly, it's weird, plain weird actually, but it works. It keeps the wearer's attention alive for hours without falling into predictable *yummy-yummy* territories.

I'm not sure I would ever be able to commit to a full bottle but this is still a very good piece of work in my book. Creative, original and accomplished.

Bravo.

Definitely what I shall wear to my wedding

A very natural composition which focuses on massoia, white chocolate, woods, and chai. This is a gentle, billowy gourmand that has facets of coconut, beige earth-like clay, and a light milkiness that never feels heavy, sticky, or desperate to impress. Some may be disappointed, as it doesn't fill the room with a thick, sweet cloud like gourmands often do. Coco Blanc radiates a soft, personal glow. I don't like "weak" fragrances, or those that I consider thin and with a lazy, half-dead projection. These types of scents feel incomplete to me, or carelessly rushed. They're frustrating. That is not Coco Blanc. Here, I find plenty of depth, and a carefully measured projection that feels every bit intended. It's a classy, low-key blend of sweet whites and creamy woods that seems right at home in its comfortable, intimate incarnation. The ingredients feel completely natural. There is not a trace of chemical in sight. You could think of this as a sister scent to the bolder and more rugged Ore, and in the same extended family of L'Artisan's doughy, peanut-butter-and-powdered-confectioner's-sugar Bois Farine, Coco Blanc eschews the trappings of your standard gourmand while offering a smoothly balanced option based on themes uniquely inherent to massoia--milk, creamy woods, and a mild coconut. The addition of chai and white chocolate are the perfect complements to it. 100% unisex and easy to wear, this is one that experienced fans should definitely appreciate as it exudes a confident subtlety that is hard to come by. Thumbs up.

Avoid if you're looking for the next LIDGE, DHI, or Pure Malt. While those are all great fragrances, Coco Blanc is a completely different personality.

The notes for this read like a wet dream for any gourmand lover: Sandalwood absolute, massoia lactone, Hawaiian vanilla, chai spices, butter, special reserve vintage musk. But this is far from a simple, creamy gourmand, and in my opinion, takes a bit of time getting used to. On my skin, Coco Blanc opens with a piercing note of raw Massoia, in all its oily, wood-alcohol splendor. It is sharp, pungent, and rather hissy – almost like hairspray. Thankfully, the sharp oiliness dissipates rather quickly, leaving behind a creamy, buttery fug of Massoia lactones – all the shades of fig and coconut in the flavor rainbow. All in all, it's an immensely cozy and inviting sort of smell.

The top part – scads of dairy-rich elements such as butter, cream, and vanilla, plus the coconut notes – kind of smell like those Ferrero Rocher chocolates called Raffaello. In particular, the part past the desiccated coconut and the crisp shell where your teeth sink into the creamy white chocolate filling. Eating this filling always feels like eating pure, raw cocoa butter. It doesn't really taste of anything – it's more of a texture than a taste.

But what makes this a clever fragrance is the fact that this Raffaello sweet is nestled within a darker, muskier layer that gives it an altogether grown-up character. The musky, woody layer feels a bit dark and gritty to me, and so stops the fragrance from tipping too far into overly rich, dopey gourmand territory. In other words, it's a proper perfume.

I don't pick up much chocolate here beyond the slight Raffaello connotation, but really, what is white chocolate except a waxy representation of milk and butter anyway? I sometimes eat the stuff, but I would be hard pressed to give you a description of what white chocolate actually tastes or smells like, beyond the general descriptor of ‘milky'. Towards the very end of the drydown, perhaps eight hours in, I do get what smells like a big old mug of hot milk, the kind you sipped as a child before bed. It is insanely comforting. For an all-natural perfume, Coco Blanc is very strong, and its longevity is incredible. I smell it on my scarves and coats for days afterwards. Out of all the chocolate perfumes I've been trying lately, this is by far the most arresting and accomplished.

I saw Darvant's review and realized that I had never posted mine in here. And I agree–not my thing, but excellent for what it is. I think I found it to be a tad more complex, though. My review:

Although I'm really not a huge fan of gourmand fragrances and was somewhat reluctant to even give this one a fair shake as I have no desire whatsoever to smell like desert, this is far more complex than it sounds on paper. Rather than simply being a straight-up chocolate fragrance, there's a surprising amount of nuance and distinction between the elements that elevates this scent beyond sickly predictability. Butter and milk are clearly identifiable over a deep, fatty vanilla that smells nothing like standard vanillas used in modern fragrance. This one's ever so slightly nutty and even boozy, lending the composition a true richness that sidesteps expectations of what such a scent might offer. Surprisingly the cocoa is quite tame (thank god), but the real treat is that it's all suspended over a woody musk base that locates this along the lines of the kind of interesting gourmands that Pierre Guillaume puts together. It's just a little bit dirty, and that works in its favor.

So, it's rich, buttery, and definitely gourmand–but it's far more compelling and articulate than this genre usually allows for. For me, I might wear it as a comfort scent, but I could see this having a more extensive use for the right person. For such a confident, innovative take on the genre, my hat's off once more to Christi Meshell.

An excellent exotic gourmand from an excellent new visceral brand enhanced by the Christi Meshell's experimental creativity (by a Ted Marshall's moonshiny direction of course) and supported by the quality of its selected raw materials. A lactonic-lymphatic blast of spices is the prelude to a an almost sticky accord of coconut milk, white woods and vanilla. A "compilation" of sweet (and sparkling/prickly) spices provides a sort of almost salty, "hay/baked bread-like" darkening undertone. The Coco Blanc's evolution is not complex but the aroma is fragrant and milky-resinous with a final musky balancing aura. It seems dusty spices and (may be) a touch of secret frankincense (or may be austere resins from the forest) provide a more assertive and mature undertone. Sensual and erotic stuff throughout. Not my genre but a must try for the lovers of exotic gourmands.

Best gourmand I've tried. For those that don't like most gourmands, this one isn't as sweet or as boring. The mix of spices, chocolate, and sandalwood smells divine. I'd own MUCH more than 15ml if I could afford it. Tried 3 of HOM and have enjoyed all of them (Blackbird, Bohemian Black, Coco Blanc).

Coco Blanc on me opens woody and cozy spicy with a touch of vanilla and barely there coconut. Then coconut and chocolate come into play on a creamy spiced base as the heart. This is not a cake batter gourmand, it's a raw ingredients playing well together one that brings people closer to figure it out. The dry down phase is delicious with all the notes mingling without dominating and a very slight musk. It is both cozy and comforting & sexy and inviting. I wish it lasted longer and projected more, but it is delicious and mysterious.