Casmir

Chopard
Caroline Scheufele

Casmir is a women's perfume launched in 1991 by Chopard

Reviews of Casmir by Chopard

There are 53 reviews of Casmir by Chopard.

This is a strange thing for a fashion house to release - at any time - and these days, I’d expect to find it in a niche catalogue.

The profile is split into two halves. A delectable sweet powdery Amber with a side serving of fruit salad; and sour 'plastick' with a dark bitter note.

Amber is the main theme - and that makes Casmir easy to like, who couldn’t go for sweet powdery sandal?
But there’s also that strange undertone - the serpent in the garden - offering not an apple but a bowl of plastic trifle.
It fits the line Salman Rushdie wrote when he was working as an ad copy writer - Naughty but Nice.

I remember writing that something was like ‘No5 crossed with Shalimar’. And that’s sort of the case here. A powdery flat Amber of vanilla, sandal and fruit, and a discrete plasticky accord, which doesn’t smell like No5 but feels abstract in the same kind of way i.e. it has a semi-detached relationship with natural smells. In fact, from the point of view of abstraction, Casmir is closer to No5 than many things released in the intervening ninety years.

The same kind of disconnect with reality can be felt in Roma Uomo (Menardo 1992 / 94), Narciso for Her (Kurkdjian & Nagel 2003) and Peau de Soie (Ropion 2016). It seems that this plasticky, post natural style holds a fascination for perfumers, and connoisseurs alike, even if the general public want something more 'natural' and legible.

This sweet and sour, venomous and plasticky accord seems to have been going for some twenty five years now, and that's a testament to the person who dreamed it up.
It looks like it has found a place for itself outside of perfume fashion trends, but it’s difficult to know who to give the medal to - because the dates are a bit confused. Was it Michel Almairac (1991 / 92) or Annick Menardo (1992 / 94)?

Like a real beautiful goddess who pops out of the cake at a party and mesmerizing him with dark green eyes. who is she?Virna Lisi in the scene of "How to Murder your Wife" (1965).Casmir is a warm vanilla fruit.another's so nostalgic perfume for me as it reminds me of my mother's friend, she was a classy,elegant woman and she would always wear this. when i was about 14 years old and she kissed me,I closed my eyes and enjoyed of her lovely scent!

This is the vanilla queen.super cozy, warm and fresh at the same time.an early gourmand fragrance with a sweet vanilla desert that dominates the scent.a respectable vanilla with nice florals, noticeable amber,and some warm coconut and fresh fruits that floats in and out of the mix.this transported to the mid 90's velvet babydoll dress,with ripped tights,Doc Martens,and a plaid flannel listing to Nirvana.she is nothing vulgar,spectacular in the way.she is just smooth,creamy and comforting.

After a quick confused fruity opening,it dips into a strong jasmine with the white sharpness of lily of the valley and faint, but distinguishable traces of geranium. the base has some patchouli,amber coming through. Underneath it all is a mighty vanilla that is always lingering over other notes,but never shows itself bare.a unforgettable fragrance with excellent value for your money.sillage and longevity both are great.

An older, fruit concoction. It simply smells of the 1990's. The fruits are blended nicely. Not off-putting at all. It settles into an almost warm, fruit compote. Definitely gourmand, for the time being.

The fruits flow into the flowers in time. And, as the fruits are well mixed, so too, are the flowers.

Creamy base with an amber accord. Sweet, but not too much. Patchouli and "animal" vibe, delicate as these notes are, create a lovely, sensual base. One of the better Chopards.

Casmir is a very fruity yet almost exotic take on a what is suppose to be an oriental? At first spray I am greeted with a strong piercing blast of PEACH! Yes PEACH! It is so strong I almost say GOT DAMNIT! WTH IS THIS?! However some other fruits start to creep in, somewhat of a lime note hidden beneath the carnation, a note in which I do note like as it smells repulsive to my nose. I also get a little raspberry as well to give it some sweet yet tart flavoring. By the dry down, the cinnamon & patch makes it's way to the stage with the cinnamon being the star show towards the end.

I find Casmir to be a little off putting to my nose as it reminds me of another old world fragrance that does not work for me, Mitsouko yes I am talking about you!

While this is constructed very well & does not smell synthetic, it does not agree with me which is fine. I honestly only purchased this because of the bottle back in the late 90's! So no love lost. Average Projection & longevity on my skin.

Many years ago I used to work in a bookstore that also had a cafe and I was one of the baristas. I purchased Casmir with one of my paychecks and wore it quite often during the late 90's. I would often get asked by customers what items we were baking or what drink I made that had that excellent scent.

Casmir has a very creamy vanillin base that also has a 'can't quite put my finger on it' top notes that in that environment often was mistaken for baked goods. When restocking books I would often have loads of customers come up to me just to smell the perfume and ask me what it was. I was completely flattered until one creepy older man kept walking up to me and smelling me over and over. He returned quite often to sniff me and I told him to just buy a bottle of Casmir and do his sniffing and home. I had to shelve Casmir and switched to Pleasures, which turned out to be the repellent scent for this particular individual.

Casmir is a good cheaper gourmand fragrance and quite a heavy one too. Sadly it evokes too many stalker quality memories for me to wear again.

This is tooth-achingly sweet. I can't imagine anyone but Barbie wearing it (although Pink Sugar is probably more apt). Speaking of Pink Sugar, this might just be the same thing, boiled down to a thick syrup.

You can't help but applaud such audacity, but I would never consider wearing it.

Update: I bought a bottle. I don't know why. It's like someone took a bottle of Bois de Vanille and punched you in the face with it. There's also an unsettling note that's almost reminiscent of gardenia's cheesiness, but from some other narcotic white flower (ylang maybe?) Whatever it is, it's revolting and I love it.

So no, I'll never wear it. But I had to own it.

Show more reviews of Casmir...

Add your review of Casmir