Cape Heartache
Imaginary Authors (2013)

Overall

About Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors

Reviews of Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors

There are 24 reviews of Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors.

I'll never understand the hype behind this house. I've tried nearly half the line and found nothing memorable with maybe the exception of Saint Julep.

I got a sample of Cape Heartache free when I ordered a bottle of A Whiff of Wafflecone (a fragrance yet to be added to the directory at time of this review). I wasn't expecting on trying this, but I'm glad to check it off the list.

There isn't much to say here. If you're expecting a fir/green/coniferous scent, you might as well turn right around. This more or less smells like strawberries n' cream, but not until the middle/end. The opening just smells like a strawberry car air freshener. When i was younger, my dad had this spray strawberry air freshener for his van. Of course, this was before the days of amazon, and air fresheners, or anything that we take for granted now, were harder to come by, not money wise really, just being harder to find. However, I digress. The strawberry air freshener for me ties to that memory, which is what I think of when I smell this. It's just such a weak and "novelty" sort of scent, like most of the others from this house. Not so much weak in projection, although not great, it's just weak overall as a fragrance..like just lackluster.

So.. here I am again finding myself reading all these rave reviews, and I wonder, are they real? Am I smelling something different? Maybe I am just a much more critical reviewer? Maybe they all got samples/bottles for free? I do see a pattern in many of these reviews giving praise to all fragrances from this house, which certainly makes me scratch my head. Whatever it may be, I will always give my honest opinion on a fragrance. I don't think this is worth anyone's time. If you must try it, please sample it first; it may come out to more per ml, but it's better than having a fragrance that was an impulse buy that you'll never wear.
Dec 15, 2020

It does smell similar to some of their other aquatics. That salty, Bvlgari Aqua aquatic smell, but this one has a huge dollop of incense. It really comes forward in the heart, in that this ceases to be an aquatic and turns into an herbal/incense frag with aquatic echos. I like this one. It has really drastic development, which can be good and bad.
Feb 1, 2020

Very smooth natural smell evocative of forests. Fir balsam and certainly pine needle absolute do have a fruity aspect, which has been skilfully brought out in this perfume.

Slumberhouse has done the same thing with Sadanne, with a pronounced strawberry nuance, but compared to Cape Heartache, Sadanne is a heavy handed composition.

There is an earthiness suggestive of forest floor which accentuates the naturalness.

Regarding the declared ingredients, mountain fog is a great one, I wonder if they distil it on the spot?

But vanilla leaf, which I looked up, could have some basis. it seems to be in a similar category to woodruff, melilot and deertongue, where natural extracts are occasionally available, so we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

One of my top favourites in the Imaginary Authors lineup.

Jan 21, 2020

So odd...a big blast of pine air freshener and Bonne Bell strawberry Lip Smackers right off the bat. Like, what a weird combination. But it's surprisingly not unpleasant–at first. There's a bit of smokiness there as well, but maybe that's the hemlock? As it develops, there is a distinct note of plastic mingled with the strawberry that reminds me of a strawberry scented doll my friend had when I was a kid. I would not want to wear this, as I find it far too cloying, but it definitely transports me to another time and place: my friend Sarah's bedroom when we were about seven years old, playing with dolls.
Jan 3, 2020

Cape Heartache is super interesting. On me it started with some pleasant wet woods and pine for about an hour. Then very quickly the strawberry starts to creep in. It amps up further and further until I feel damn delicious walking around the office. I honestly would have never expected strawberry to work well on a guy, nor expect it to combine well with pine, but it does. They say everyone's skin is different, but I'm suprised to see that another reviewer didn't get any strawberry with how lush it is on me. I'll also say that the longevity was great, depending on where sprayed. The sprays on my chest worked much slower through that woody -> gourmand transition than those on my wrist did. Leaving me with still projecting from my chest over 6 hours later.
Oct 5, 2019

A very strange experience. On application, opinion was divided. "Bathbombs", said the family. "Calamine lotion, or hospital disinfectant", said I. A spicy phase followed, passing the torch to a near-gourmand experience after a few hours. The later phases were spent with a smoky, woody theme with overtones of strawberries and balsamic. Late in the day, I am left with strawberries and cream as if wandering the outer courts at Wimbledon.

What has this got to do with "Cape Heartache"? I'm not aware of any literary or cultural reference, but perhaps it works as a tip of the hat to those spy novels whose protagonists pay flying visits to a random collection of locations over the course of the narrative. I wouldn't buy this, but it's been an interesting ride.
Aug 10, 2019

Show more reviews of Cape Heartache...

Add your review of Cape Heartache