Neutral Reviews of Canoé
Dana (1936)

Overall

Add your review of Canoé

Reviews of Canoé by Dana

My memory of Canoe isn't good after not having smelled it since the mid-80s. I liked it alright, but not nearly so well as my Uncle or my brother, who both liked it well enough to make it their signature scents.

I think of it as very dated at this point, but it's cheap now so you might give it a try as a budget cologne or try the aftershave.

I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5
Feb 5, 2018

For as many reviews as I've read and my attempts to dissect various notes in various fragrances only to become completely confused, I find myself surprisingly in virtually complete agreement with zoghbi here. I got this one many, many, many years ago - I think for Christmas - and I just couldn't get over the cotton candy impression I got from it. The barbershop/Clubman, etc., comparisons just don't make the least bit of sense to me. It's a pleasant fragrance, all right, just not one that I would want to wear. It strikes me as rather feminine, actually, sweet but not floral, and so I'll give it a neutral in that regard. Whatever floats your boat - or canoe, as it were.
Jul 26, 2016

I give this a neutral rating because I guess there's nothing wrong with it really. It's just that I don't particularly care for it. It is very musky, and powdery. I find if you use Pinault Clubman aftershave or Aqua Velva Musk aftershave this compliments those very well as a cologne. If you love musk and that really powdery scent this would be the one for you. It's very affordable.
Apr 12, 2015

This has an excellent opening but turns into a, to me, too sweet of a vanilla musky like smell which does not suit me that well. I hardly wear it and prefer the better Pinaud Aftershave/Cologne which gives me the same vibe/smell but less sweet and more fresh. Mind that I have a current version of this reformulated stuff which is most probably not that good as it used to be. Rating: 5.5/10
May 12, 2013

Ahhh nothing special. Used to own it when i was younger a while back. Didnt really do it for me, but i do remember it being a weak safe scent maybe a barbershop smell.
Aug 12, 2012

I'm a huge fan of powdery barbershop fragrances. Canoe is nearly universal in its availability. Alas, with so many barber fougeres in my collection, Canoe is an odd man out. Specifically, the sweet vanilla in the drydown is too much for me. It's great that this is still in production and is a great introduction to classic men's perfumery, but I prefer Royal Copenhagen, Pinaud's Clubman or Jockey Club for the talc notes - the latter trio is less sweet and linear than Canoe and similar in price.
Jun 26, 2012

I recently added Canoe to my wardrobe in honor of its iconic status as a reference aromatic fougere per Michael Edwards. I find the top notes to be a bit unsettling, alcohol, lemon and I'm not sure what else. Hairspray comes to mind. Fortunately, this fades fairly quickly. I get a definite Brut vibe with this one. The mid notes pass me by entirely. The tonka and vanilla base notes emerge and dominate early in the progression with a noticeable heliotrope note. No oakmoss to my nose. I rate this a neutral for its pleasant, persistent dry down and its long history of making guys smell pretty good. The new formulation, which is now (according to the box) "Made in China with Fragrance Oil Made in the USA", is the only version I've tried. I've smelled it on others years ago but never gave it much thought. I'd love to get my hands on the "Made in France" version.
May 10, 2011

Sadly vile. I really wanted to like Canoe – at first blush it resembled an upscale, refined Pinaud Clubman, an oily, powdery lemon-butter talcum powder straight from the barbershop.

Unfortunately the drydown becomes rancid, piercing, and abominably cheap. Pinaud Clubman itself smells better and actually costs less. Poor Canoe must have been quite nice before reformulation degraded it into a chintzy mess.
Feb 6, 2011

Very similar to Pinaud's Clubman but sweeter. Perhaps too much so. Whereas Clubman has enough of a dryness to not seem obtrusive, this one smells sweet. I think it is too much Vanillia that becomes too dominant in this one.
Jan 28, 2011

I haven't worn or smelled Canoe for quite some time, but I do remember it being in my collection as a youngster. From what I can recall, it was very powdery..but in a light refreshing way. One of the better cheap colognes out there. I may actually get a smaller bottle for old times sake.
Mar 5, 2010

Excellent cheap, drug store fougere that smells much better than the Brut that's out there now (in the cheap plastic bottle). Wear it as a casual. It's nice but to wear it at a formal event or even in the office you might come across as a cheap tightwad.
Jun 8, 2008

I'm afraid the appeal of this fragrance pretty much escapes me. I agree with the reviewer who described Canoe as both medicinal and powdery. But, unlike him and several others,this does make me want to wax nostalgic about the 1930s and barbershops. Instead, it makes me wonder why anyone would want to douse themselves in something that resembles the smell of a treatment for fungal infections of the feet and crotch.
Oct 19, 2006

This fragrance reminds me of those translucent gummy erasers I would use in grade school. Not a bad scent, but is candy-like to me. Whatever happened to CANOE SPORT? I think Canoe Sport was 10x better then the original Canoe, along the lines of SportScent by Jovan. It was a sporty, flowery fragrance, yet masculine, that reminded me a little bit of Insense by Givenchy. I still have a bottle of it (plastic bottle) and it still smells good. Dana sure has discontinued a LOT of their fragrances. They might as well hang it up as a fragrance factory because it's obvious they can't keep any of their GOOD fragrances around!
Oct 13, 2005