Camel

Camel by Zoologist Perfumes

About Camel by Zoologist Perfumes

Zoologist Perfumes

The company says:

On a track through an unforgiving desert, starting point and destination are indistinguishable from one another. Terra-cotta hued dunes twist and writhe, their shapes ever shifting. Only the merciless sun and aloof constellations can be trusted to point the way. Weighed down by treasures; some tempting the eyes with their glittering sheen, others enticing with exotic aromas, the camel plods towards a far off marketplace. Water is but a dream now, the taste of sweet dates a distant memory. There is nothing but an endless ocean of sand.

Reviews of Camel by Zoologist Perfumes

There are 18 reviews of Camel by Zoologist Perfumes.

You could search the world over and never find true love. What that statement has to do with cologne is anyone’s guess. What it has to do with this cologne in particular is yet another conundrum that I won’t be helping you solve. I just kinda thought it worth mentioning.

Anyway, as to Camel, it’s a very unusual fragrance that smells of nothing I’ve ever encountered to this point. It’s definitely a Middle Eastern vibe being generated, but I cannot be sure how. Perhaps it’s the palm dates doing it. Given that I’ve no idea how a palm date smells, I thought they were probably a safe bet. At least for the “nothing I’ve ever encountered” part.

You know, I hardly smell the crushed-up Camel cigarettes. It’s as if they’re not even in there.

There is a light sweetness to Camel that belies its tough exterior. It really is a shame that this one is illegal to own.

Certainly one of the more 'user-friendly' fragrances offered by Zoologist, Camel is quite pleasant - a sweet, woody tobacco accord (though there is no tobacco in the actual note breakdown) with rose and date palm that adds a sugary floral vibe. I don't really get the civet or anything animalic off my skin, but the overall experience does darken to something more ambery and rich (vanilla, tonka) in the dry-down.

Amongst Zoologist fragrances, this and Chipmunk have really impressed me as being quite wearable and nice, while others in the line seem more abstract and challenging.

When exploring trendy niche houses that tend to oversell their own novelty, I find that it's best to experience their wares blind, without expectation. When I sampled Camel, I didn't know that it was a Zoologist release, and found myself impressed by its way into a thoroughly explored genre of "Middle Eastern" opulence: spices, florals, incense, and animalics.

The hint of delicately applied "skank" gives Camel an element of interest often missing from the genre, but while that comes through heavy on paper, on my skin it is considerably more polite. This wears as an alluring fresh rose darkened up with dried fruits and smoky incense with a leathery base. The heaviness of the denser notes is alleviated by an aromatic structure that keeps it feeling open and dynamic and surprisingly wearable.

Nothing Camel does reinvents the wheel, but it has depth and heft and balance, putting it lightyears beyond the likes of shallow releases like Penhaligon's Cairo. Another way of saying the same thing: Camel feels like a complete perfume.

This owes me compensation for psychic damage. On first spray onto card, I thought, "this smells really... familiar. Some kind of cleaning product? Air freshener?" Ten minutes later, I knew (very specific Canadian reference) — it smells to me exactly like the horrible scent they've been pumping full tilt into the 401 highway On Route rest stops for the past few years, so much so that the last time I stopped and got coffee at the drive-through window, the cup reeked so strongly it contaminated my whole car.

I have no idea what accords are combining for this vile result, which relates to nothing natural that I know of. It's absolutely nothing like any of the listed notes, though, to the point that I wonder if there's something in here I actually cannot smell accurately.

Finally, after trying several Zoologist scents, I have finally found one that actually smells somewhat animalic! Camel kicks off with some rich fruit (dates) and incense, and very quickly too with a really sharp, shitty smell (civet is right, but it's not in the base), that is saved from being completely foul by the fact that it is encased in sweet and spicy surrounding elements. This doesn't last that long and as spices rise and fall, the scent gradually transforms into a more conventional soft amber that dries down into a warm, musky sandalwood and tonka bean. The opening is startling, but after that, it just seems to give up rather than continue to be interesting.

Starts off with a little boozy, medicinal, classy rose and woody incense. Drydown really kicks in with the barnyard, animalic oud and civet. A very interesting, shape-shifting scent.

It feels like a serious, masculine scent but there's no reason this can't be unisex. Also, personally speaking, it's not a favorite or must-have scent for me, but I do like wearing Camel for it's opening to drydown transformation, so it gets a mild thumbs up.

Decent performance with acceptable but never loud projection. It has longevity that lasts into the next day with the civet/oud drydown.

Show more reviews of Camel...

Add your review of Camel