Bois Farine

Overall

About Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Parfumeur

Reviews of Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

There are 67 reviews of Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

Bois Farine is inspired by a tree which grows on the isle of Réunion. It's an ironic name because Réunion, which means meeting, is six hundred miles off Madagascar; not so handy for meetings then...
But that’s where Jean-Claude Ellena went to sniff the flowers of the tree, which apparently smell like flour.

The perfume is light and powdery-woody but it has a depth, a heft - which l’Artisan call pastry and hazelnuts – and which gives it a real charm. There's the almond smell of marzipan, as well as a kind of soft woodiness along with the flour - which I don't quite get as much as bitter oily-powdery-doughiness. It’s quite honeyed - fruity, and with fig leaf.

This may have been new in 2003 but its quite familiar today, the powdery-woody core of the scent has been copied many times; and - lets face it - it's a great idea and a good base for development.
Its made with ambroxan, and probably Iso E Super, so these days it would be a no brainer : start with the core of this for a light woody scent with powdery hints, and then take it in a masculine or feminine direction - as required.

But, coming back to our scent, it’s a good piece of work, imaginative; and it conforms - in the best possible way - to the old adage KISS : keep it simple stupid. A simple harmony, filigreed with bitter-sweet contrast.

But for me it gets a bit sticky later on; insistent. In fact, the base reminds me of Jardin en Méditerranée; which Ellena wrote the same year, and has the same kind of fault at the end, too heavy.
Aug 4, 2021

It's smells exactly like undercooked dough. Linear apart from the fresh opening which is marred by the dough smell. Projection and longevity is poor. If that is what you want to smell of then this is would be stellar if it performed. I don't.
Feb 6, 2021

The opening is straight for the baker’s (not me!) oven: creamy freshly baked cookies with fennel seeds, sweet almonds and nuts. Lovely.

The drydown evolves around a few iris, a green and slightly powdery iris impression that moderates the initial sweetness. A lovely bright iris that lacks any fustiness.

The basenis woods galore: cedar mainly, but Ali’s sone sandal and guaiac, with a benzoin that gradually fades into the background.

I get moderate sillage, good projection, and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

An agreeable spring scent slightly on the gourmand side initially, but the later phases are a bit too anaemic and generic. Overall 2.75/5

Oct 21, 2020

Rehearsal in the Studio by edgar degas 1878
Mar 17, 2020

This bready iris
For all, reminder, thankful
That one, the non blonde.

Thus in her footsteps
Seeking first to understand
I understood it.

Flower becomes bread
And yet bread becomes flower
Savor mystery.
Nov 28, 2019

I entered a shop selling the whole Artisan Parfumeur collection because I love their amber fragrances and saw the much-envied terra-cotta balls. I wanted to let someone I love smell some things of the collection, but then the name attracted me. I tried this one on first, and last. I told the seller I’d smell it all night and probably would come back the day after to buy it, but simultaneously I was already addicted by its roasted nuts smell and gave her my credit card. Just have all my money, Bois Farine, no question asked. I’ve been buying memories.
Feb 1, 2019

Show more reviews of Bois Farine...

Add your review of Bois Farine