Bois d'Ombrie

Overall

About Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie

Eau d'Italie

Reviews of Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie

There are 30 reviews of Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie.

The fragrance that triggered my interest in Eau d'Italie was Bois d'Ombrie. A number of BN reviewers I respect sing its praises, and it seems my sort of thing categorically: leather, tobacco, vetiver, woods, iris, spices–what's not to like?

Alas, I have a problem with BdO noted by its detractors: specifically, the bitter, vinegary vegetal note simply doesn't click for me. It's too bad, because it seems as if someone dumped a bottle of vinegar into a brew I would otherwise have loved. But then, perhaps that divisive note is the point. After all, the rest of the profile is fairly common amongst masculines of a certain era. So, I wave to those across the divide who enjoy this, but I'll be staying on the other side, happily without a bottle of Bois d'Ombrie.
Sep 14, 2021

A sharp scent made by a man who has created Dzongkha and Timbuktu. Bois d'Ombrie smells like ash to my nose; a woody smoky thing that doesn't smell like a fragrance. Luca Turin has had a good description of it: Bois d'Ombrie is an odd, original, very interesting, and arguably not entirely successful accord of vetiver, leather, smoke, iris, and burnt-sugar notes. It is unquestionably a great smell, but fails in my opinion to coalesce into a great fragrance.
Apr 10, 2021

Tremendously enjoyable, dark and smoky vetiver-leather with lots of pleasure-giving goodies in its bag – cool, pale milky greens (calamus) at the start, resins deployed with great restraint, a touch of burnt sugar, smudgy shades of iris and carrot seed. It has a most attractive bitterness to it, giving the whole thing an unlit, shadowy quality that appeals to my sense of escape. Lovely and addictive as it is, it's a perfume I fantasize about being oomphed up much more and given the gothic gravitas it deserves, an eau de parfum at least rather than the eau de toilette formulation it is available in.
Sep 5, 2020

The Golden Forest by gustav klimt
Dec 30, 2017

Although my partner has gone into raptures over this scent (he rarely cares for anything I review), I hate it. All I get is nasty, bitter oud, a scent I loathe.

He gets iris and the smoky scent of Islay Scotch - as the leather enters, he gets a soft scent of lemon rind, bitter, sparkling, so that the smoke and the iris fade to the background, while leather and lemon dance in the foreground. (His words.)

I must admit that on his skin it comes together nicely, far nicer than on mine. Still there's that bitter oud note that makes it intolerable for me. Such irony, finally he finds something he wants to bathe in and I can't stand it.

C'est la vie!
Dec 5, 2016

Wonderfully approachable! This is certainly a crowd pleaser, with it's boozy tobacco and woodiness and a moderate level of sweetness. Wore to the office today, and it fits very well in the workplace. Eventually settles into a slightly powdery/sweet incense and tobacco. Sillage is low to moderate, and lasts 4-6 hours on me. Thumbs up!
Dec 1, 2015

Show more reviews of Bois d'Ombrie...

Add your review of Bois d'Ombrie