Bois d'Argent

About Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior

Christian Dior
Annick Menardo
Hedi Slimane

Originally part of a collection of three scents in the Dior Homme Cologne range [Eau Noire, Cologne Blanche and Bois D'Argent], designed by Hedi Slimane.

Where to buy Bois d'Argent

Reviews of Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior

There are 76 reviews of Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior.

I remember back in 2010-11 when first trying out this exclusive range from Dior, and Bois d'Argent didn't stand out as much next to Leather Oud or Eau Noire. Since then my love of Bois d'Argent has grown steadily over the years. This is a soft iris and honey scent on a light balsamic base of myrrh, musk and vanilla. The blending is quite exceptional, and the different versions (Annick Menardo's creation vs Demachy's reformulation) are very similar to one another.

Bois d'Argent starts off with a reserved accord of iris with hints of cypress, soon sweetened slightly with honey, and it evolves to its mid phase which has a touch of bitterness, with soft incense and myrrh. The dry down sets in after a couple of hours where the soft musk, vanilla, and wood notes join the rest of the notes. The transitions in this fragrance are very smooth and seamless, so as to almost provide the illusion of linearity. While there's an array of sweet notes, everything is done with a deft touch, ensuring that any sweetness is very restrained. On my skin I find it to be adequately long-lasting at over several hours, with soft but consistent silky sillage.

Bois d'Argent conjures the colour of an understated pastel beige, and is equally cosy and comforting to wear throughout the year in different seasons. Elegant and refined, wearing this on a cold day is the olfactory equivalent of putting on one's favourite cashmere sweater. Definitely androgynous, and possibly the best in its style.

4.5/5

Oh sweet Bois d'Argentie!
Why do you torment me?
Should I buy you
Or pay the due
For Guerlain's d'Arménie?

Or own Menardos twain
And love her work again
The subtle diffs
Of sister riffs
To feel the deep refrain?

Or pay some lesser fee
In Papier d'Arménie
Let house smell good
To fool the 'hood
Though sadly never me?

Or better yet to wait
And leave love up to fate
One soon to own
Yet ne'er alone
The other sure but late?

Though if we take that chance
And neither comes to dance
Let paper love
Remind us of
The days we spent in France.

May thus resolved be things
This sweet dilemma brings
May scents we love
Be "all above"
For paupers and for kings.

We may not have all now
But Fate is good somehow
We wait in style
For in good while
Good Providence may bow.

There is no Dior but Dior
Nor likes of tray in store
Perfume's perfume
For clothes or room
May all be treasured more.

I love wear leather jacket with Bois d'Argent. It's fantastic great feeling. Luxury rich background. I feel sort of lux leather material. More than fantastic.

Sweet Iris Honey.

Opens with the beautiful iris. Dior has a really nice iris note that they use. It smells natural and kind. The iris is about matched with the patchouli and other. But this is attempted to be balanced on the sweet side by using honey. And that combo of iris and honey, bringing it sweet and powdery drives this into the territory, in my opinion, of being squarely feminine. It does have some balsamic properties, overarching the whole composition. The heart brings the patchouli myrh forward, and its balance trends back toward unisex. It reminds me something of Shalimar/TF Noir. The honey takes the spot in the olfactory experience of the civet. I suppose this is more of a personal thumbs down, and an impartial neutral. It doesn't smell like it is bad quality, though it is reportedly a big weak legged, it is not overly sheer, and I found the longevity to be average.

Sweet opening with honey, amber and myrrh; patchouli has a bitter herbal presence and then there's the powdery iris. I can see the similarities with Bois d'Iris, but that one is more focused on the buttery iris, while Bois d'Argent is more focused on the sweet notes and it gets more powdery.

Smells fantastic... But it's waaaay too weak. If it was just a little bit more powerful I would give this a big thumbs up. Too bad.

Show more reviews of Bois d'Argent...

Add your review of Bois d'Argent

Bois d'Argent by Christian Dior Perfume Ad Campaigns