Bay Rum

Overall

About Bay Rum by Geo F Trumper

Geo F Trumper

Reviews of Bay Rum by Geo F Trumper

There are 14 reviews of Bay Rum by Geo F Trumper.

TRUMPER – BAY RUM

Bay Rum originated in the West Indies island of St. Thomas in 1838. It was used as an astringent and cleanser, splashed on face and arms, during hot summer months. It was first marketed in 1890 (The California Company) and 1893 (Kirk Co.), when it made its way into North America and thence to Europe.

The original formula consisted of West Indian Bay Leaves (not to be confused with the Bay Laurel Leaf used in cooking), clove, pimento, lime, cinnamon and all distilled in pure islands rum.

There have been bay rum fans for over a century. Many purveyors have kept them supplied. Perfume Intelligence lists but 18, but Basenotes lists 27, the most prominent in many versions being St. John's, a Caribbean based perfumery.

Trumper's Bay Rum is a simple combination of Bay Leaves, Clove and Bergamot. No fancy additions of multiple citrus or other spice notes here, just direct and linear. Some of my earliest memories are of the barber shop when as a lad and young adult, a haircut was always finished with a splash of bay rum and a dusting of powder on the neck. The Trumper brings me back to those experiences.

I have sampled about a half dozen bay rums in my life and my favorite is still the Michelsen Bay Rum, which Caswell Massey marketed in the 80s and 90s. This used the original formula cited above in the second paragraph with the addition of orange, richly complex and distinctive.

My spouse found the Trumper to remind him of a Christmas pudding, with soft butter, dark brown sugar, and mixed spice. He also associates this his adolescence since most men who wore scent in those days used Old Spice or a bay rum. For him this is a soft, comforting, gentle, yet manly and bracing scent. Safe to be worn by a confidant businessman.

It is doubtful that any bay rum these days actually contains rum, but that's beside the point.
The Trumper version is perfectly fragrant and decent, fresh and invigorating. If you love bay rums, you can't go wrong with their version.

May 22, 2020

A fairly straightforward concoction of bay, rum (fancy that!) and yes, clove. Every bay rum scent I have come across contains clove so you expect that, but it is quite loud here. However I would place this some way above pricier clove scents (like the dire Serge Noire) as well as most of the widely available barbershop bay rums; this one lasts longer and the rum scent is stronger than most, offering a bit of sweetness which goes some way to balance the spice.
Feb 10, 2013

Frankly more than a disaster. A spicy mess with some faint bay leaves and probably mint and cedawood in the blend. Effectively a clove bomb which anyway lasts on my skin less than 40 minutes. The beginning is effectively weird for a couple of minutes with a strange detergent/mossy and vaguely alcoholic/boozy blast but in a while a cloves tornado plus a touch of nutmeg starts to prickle your nose reminding me the far in the memory Christmas's aroma produced by a local (in my area) preparation of spicy dry figs wrapped by leaves of laurel. Anyway an un worthy experiment for sure. Pass by.
Jan 25, 2013

Well, is this made out of clove? You can sewar it! The opening left me perplexed for a few seconds as it smelled unpleasantly familiar but couldn't exactly detect what it was about. Then a big clove started to materialize in front of me. Huge, brown and running towards me at 200mph speed. Scary...Clove is all I get, sorry! I quite like clove, but this interpreation is definitely crude and very (very) linear. I had no guts to try it on my skin.
May 3, 2011

I'm not the expert on Bay Rum scents, but are they supposed to be just clove? Not that I mind clove, especially when it's so accurate, but this is like an entire meal of clove soup with clove sticks, clove salad, roast clove with a side of mashed cloves and iced clove tea, followed by a clove pie. I doubt that I'll be dining here again. I'd like a word with the manager. And it's pink. I don't get it.

That being said, what's presented here is subjectively a clean and clear, airy spice scent with implicit wood notes, and it's fairly refreshing and ethereal when you sniff it from right up close.
Apr 11, 2011

Well this one is exactly what it says on the front of the bottle. Initially bay rum scent with cloves lingering in the background. After about 30 minutes the bay rum scent is mostly gone and you're left with the faint scent of clove for a couple hours (on me at least). Completely gone after that so longevity is pretty sure. Straight forward, linear and does exactly what it says on the bottle.

I'm generally not a bay rum fan, but this one was light enough that I could wear it.
Mar 28, 2011

Show more reviews of Bay Rum...

Add your review of Bay Rum