Baptême du Feu

Serge Lutens

Baptême du Feu is a shared scent launched in 2016 by Serge Lutens

Where to buy Baptême du Feu

Reviews of Baptême du Feu by Serge Lutens

There are 14 reviews of Baptême du Feu by Serge Lutens.

I am certainly no shrinking violet when it comes to challenging and eccentric fragrances, so naturally I was drawn to Bapteme de Feu because it is just so left field, so daring in its execution, but nonetheless is anchored in the more familiar blueprints of perfumery so that it doesn't come off as entirely alien and ineffectual.

The opening is just a 'wow.' Not many fragrances can elicit that response from me, but the trophy goes to Bapteme. It starts hot, metallic, but edible, spicy, and aromatic, too. What really grabs my attention second is its dichotomy of the innocent and the profane: candied tangerine and ginger, the smell of burnt cookies, burnt edges, burnt smoke, a Maillard reaction captured in liquid form. This a plate of tiny edible barrels from smoking guns.

I am flummoxed by the deconstruction in its heart, beguiled even, because it somehow turns to a more prurious direction. Sweaty, ripe, but not dank. It isn't dirty to the point of being rank, but there is a bit of 'no-no' business going on. The castoreum must be responsible, and it actually pairs wonderfully with the more confectionary notes (which would make sense given its notoriety as an additive for sweet flavors). Furthermore, I've smelled far more urinous notes in other, more heavily lauded fragrances. Rest assured, it is the tiniest shading that provides dimension; there is no wet diaper here, no vagrant unwashedness. Once again, its the castoreum, it really is a dynamic substance. I am really finding this to be beautiful right to its dry down. As the owner of genuine absolute extraction of osmanthus, I can vouch that there is some in here, and it harmonizes with that castoreum like milk and coffee.

I'd take many of the other reviews with a pinch of salt, as this salty number is the cat's meow and has that addictively lavish Serge Lutens DNA.

Harsh opening of burnt citrus and smoke that is overwhelming for the first hour, but the more I wore Baptême du Feu the better it evolved. After an hour or so more dried fruit notes reminiscent of Christmas puddings. I got more hints of the cake-like gingerbread rather than the crisp cookie style and the smoke notes really simmered down and reminded me more of dying fire embers.

Wear was exceptionally long, 10+ hours.

A dark aroma of mandarin marmalade - with a touch of restrainedly chutney-like spicy zest - opens the beginning, with an underlying impression of a soft and creamy raisin bread also forthcoming here.

Soon a touch of smokiness arises, a slightly unusual burnt addition - maybe the gunpowder mentioned in the scent pyramid, which is given added depth by a castoreum; the latter becomes evinces a touch of sweet peppers and gradually becomes more prominent with time. Touches of osmanthus add another facet of gentle spiciness.

I get moderate sillage, good projection, and five hours of longevity on my skin.

This scent for autumn evenings is quite a creative creation, which uses ideas not frequently used in perfumery. Some phases are thick and syrupy and are lacking nuances and texture at times, but the creaminess makes for a rich impression. 3.5/5

At first it is a bit difficult but as it evolves it becomes more and more cosy. Much more complex fragrance than the notes listed, so try it before purchasing. Personally I find it very interesting and unusual; an oriental who pretends to be gourmand with good longevity and the sillage is average . Spicy and sweet. For my nose the main notes are tangerine, gingerbread and floral note.

Magnificent! Smells like cold, dark red fruit. It's unisex, but I think it leans feminine.

It is one of the more unique scents I've smelled in my years. No questions about it, you should at least sample it.

Probably my favourite Lutens so far. His scents seem to turn on me a bit, and this one doesn't. A beautiful, rich, fiery, spicy, yet deep, dark and seductive perfume. I'm getting lots of cinnamon - or is it that gunpowder impression that appears cinnamon-y to me? Maybe there are some dried fruits under that to give it some slight sweetness, too - but overall fragrance is not sweet. It does feel like fire - a bit. And the name - Baptism by Fire - is both so beautiful and so fitting here. I couldn't wear this all the time, but I can definitely see myself growing to love it a lot.

Show more reviews of Baptême du Feu...

Add your review of Baptême du Feu