Bal à Versailles

Overall

About Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Where to buy Bal à Versailles

Reviews of Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Conniving and vulnerable, ravishing and monstrous,she wears many hats,and one amazing wig, lots of makeup,bracelets,to cinvince an overconfident insurance agent to kill her husband.playing a frustrated housewife,a damsel in distress, and a heartless villain.because a femme fatale is defined by her duality,and one of the greatest Femme Fatale of all time is Barbara Stanwyck as Phyllis Dietrichson in Double Indemnity (1944).

A vintage scent with timeless relevance. It smells nostalgic like antique stores and reminds me of scratchy old records,old books,old 60's shag rugs,autumn colored furniture,and dusty Tiffany lamps.this is everything a perfume should be:sultry makes a strong presence,and lasting. it's like a folk music festival campground in a bottle.deep lush citruses,an almost liquor-like vanilla,and a powdery,smoky chypre finish.it reminds me of Tabu.

The opening notes include citruses,with a fragrant lemon grass type of smell,some neroli and freshness.the leather notes emerges slowly before it takes over in the dry down.before you there you smell powdery&balsamic some vanilla,amber and musk.the civet is a good note for the cold winter months.it envelops you in the warmth of It's animalic embrace.It's a 1960's women's, lib,I-am-woman-hear-me-roar scent.like.it's not feminine it's womanly.

If you're a little shrinking violet,unsure-of-yourself wallflower,this is absolutely not the fragrance for you.it has too much presence and makes no apologies for veing either female or powerful.one of the sexiest women's perfume.Longevity is astonishing.
Jan 31, 2021

I have been wearing BaV since the early 80's. My current bottle is from the early 2000's. The top has an aldehydic buzz even though none exist. I think it's the blend of all the top notes, that creates this vibe. It is bubbly, champagne-like, well-blended. The civet from the base notes, appears shortly after the top begins to settle. It has no sweetness on top. It has an almost earthy mood.

Rose and muguet appear. Ultra sheer lilac. Mellow jasmine - ladylike. A layer of leather lies just beneath. A layer of ylang ylang makes its presence known after a time.

The base is not sugary sweet. It is a muddy sweetness with again, an earthy appeal. Expertly blended cedar, sandalwood, boozy vanilla, civet (still here!), benzoin, and a fuzzy balsam. Worn out in fresh air, BaV totally reveals her charms.

The base grows more intense after a time. A very adult perfume.
Oct 31, 2018

If there were a God, She would smell of vintage Bal a Versailles in pure parfum concentration.
Oct 2, 2018

I purchased the current eau de toilette, and my expectations were reflective of the majority of the reviews. There was no funk, animalic, or sensual aspect to this fragrance. It smells like Talcum Powder and reminded me of the Johnsons and Johnson’s powder aroma in the locker room after the game. (without the funk) I am disappointed. Powder is not a good scent for an older dude.
Aug 14, 2018

I own a 70's bath oil, that I dab as one would extrait and it is superb, great evolution, the flowers, the powder, resins, vanilla, leather all is of great quality, deep and airy a the same time, shimmering , it lasts forever and even gets more intense in the first few hours. But what anchors, enhances and sublimes is the civet.
Eye rollingly scentual with sex
Jun 29, 2018

This is for the current EdP. For me this is mostly old-school powder and florals with something skanky and animalic lurking in the base. The sweet, powdery start reminds me a bit of L'Heure Bleue, then the rose and iris show up with a bit of that face-powder/vintage lipstick vibe, but with a bit of tropical, indolic floral thrown in. Some aspect of the flowers almost seem dried to me - shades of potpourri, but with a rose-creamy scent underneath, along with that animalic musk. As it dries down, the powder fades and it settles into a rose-floral, sandlewood, musk that I quite enjoy, but not enough to deal with all the powder and potpourri up top.
Jun 15, 2018

Show more reviews of Bal à Versailles...

Add your review of Bal à Versailles