Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait
Maison Francis Kurkdjian (2017)

Overall

About Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Where to buy Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait

Reviews of Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

There are 11 reviews of Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

I have this and BR 540… They’re definitely different but I can’t articulate the subtleties. I want to say this one is stronger yet still soft.
Nov 2, 2021

Owned BR540 'regular' EdP for over a year. Finally gave this a shot. Was thinking that I might like more since I don't see marigold listed here.

But trust me: it's there. I think all in all it's slightly less sweet than the regular EdP and a bit more suede-like in the opening if that makes sense. Where the original is powdery leathery (evernyl), and mighty sweet. The extrait in the drydown is very similar to the original (98%).

And since I recently started not liking the original that much anymore after a year, this is a bummer for me.

Nothing new. The marigold in here might be even more pungent in here because there is less sweetness camouflaging it.

Sorry Kurkdjian, thumbs down from me.
Dec 16, 2020

Thicker woodier and a bit denser, but most noses might not pick up the differences right away since your nose will be greatly distracted by the sheer sweet stickyness of this. Pure candy with berry cherry undertones in a bottle.
What I enjoy and simultaneously detest is the gonadotropic vibe in the background, it just smells so pheromony sexual to my nose.
There is no denying that this is the new Aventus I suppose.
Let the craze begin.
Nov 4, 2020

I like the EDP but I like the Extrait better. Both have the same scent however, I find the EDP's vibe more 'glassy' and the Extrait's vibe more 'woody'. The Extrait has more of a wood backbone and is more refined and rounded; and obviously has better longevity too. At the end of the day it's personal preference on which version you prefer but my advice is pay the extra and reach for the Extrait. It's just better all round.
Sep 6, 2020

When most people say something is a clone of Baccarat Rouge 540 (2014), they mean this extrait version and not the original. Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait by Maison Francis Kurkdjian (2017) is an ultra-deluxe heavier recipe of the scent originally made by the perfumer for the glassmaker Baccarat back in 2014, then became a surprise hit after he was allowed to release it himself the following year. Not a ton has changed with the formula besides a few tweaking of the knobs and a substitution of notes here or there, but it is enough to make something that a half dozen other niche houses seemingly want to duplicate with subtle variations on the theme, all to relatively great success unless you're the house of Amouroud (who vibed off the original BR540 several times instead). I think this extrait version is marginally nicer than the original disappearing act of a scent, if only because I can actually smell it for more than 30 minutes, but I think better things have been built on the skeleton of this pricey beast since it was hatched.

The opening of Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait is identical to the original scent, so expect sweet semi-candied floral arrangements that lead into saffron and jasmine indole. The key difference here is the introduction of bitter almond to the scent, which moves BR540 Extrait into a direction similar to Parfums de Marly Pegasus (2011), minus the heavy lavender (although there is some lavender here). The rest goes on as expected, with a jumble of synthetics resulting in a smooth musky woody accord that has cashmeran, Iso E Super, and a gabagool of things, but with one key change. This change is the big thing that makes BR540 Extrait its own creature, and it is the inclusion of an "amberwood" molecule. Detectable sillage is a day's worth and projection is also good, but you're getting a day of scratchy amberwood and peppery almond after the rest is gone like the original, almost as if these two additional notes exist outside the rest of the fragrance to bear witness of its brief passing on skin. So weird. I'm a fan of MFK but this one despite the "upgrade" is not really better, just stronger.

Romantic in intent, but built to leave an ostentatious trail, BR 540 Extrait "fixes" what is "wrong" with the original Baccarat Rouge 540, but it'll set you back $450 dollars for it. I saw the original as overpriced hype sauce and this is no better, especially when Initio Oud for Greatness (2018) tossed in more lavender, a bit of medicinal oud, and better complexity for 100ml of fragrance at the same price (but still too much). Parfums de Marly Kalan (2019) mixes pepper, lavender, and vetiver to the formula for a piquant mineralic experience that is actually cheaper (and cheaper yet if discounted), offering similarly more complexity and value. I get the "OG Hype Beast" cred, but if only I cared about hubris like that I might act on it and splurge for a bottle, and since I don't, this is just extra window dressing on an expensive oceanfront house with a shakey foundation. People seem to like smelling this on others, but that's still not enough for me, especially at the price per mililiter. At least the red glass bottle with gold cap and nameplate are a nice ritzy touch. Sample before buying. Neutral.
Jul 14, 2020

Basically smells the same to most people. Its a bid woodier. More rounded, and just better in my opinion. I've worn both, and had my wife wear both. We both prefer the extrait on each other and on ourselves. Thumbs up here.
May 23, 2020

Show more reviews of Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait...

Add your review of Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait