Aromatics Elixir

Overall

About Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Where to buy Aromatics Elixir

Reviews of Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

There are 109 reviews of Aromatics Elixir by Clinique.

I am a male and have been wearing Aromatics Elixir since it's premier! I have always been heavy handed with it's application. In the beginning, there was not an instance where I would go and not be asked "what are you wearing?!!?" I decided to keep "my secret" to myself. And have continued to do so 50 years later! I even went to the extreme of not discarding my empty bottles of Aromatics and lol, now have a storage container with thousands of empty bottles! Now that is loyalty!!! I once took a picture of all the empty bottles several years ago and mailed it to the Lauder cooperate office. I was a bit disappointed in their response of thank you for supporting our product and sending me a travel size of Aromatics. I can honestly say and feel that I am the most devout client of Aromatics Elixir!
Nov 11, 2021

A very strong floral and oriental fragrance. So vintage. Good.
Nov 9, 2018

Aromatics Elixir (1971) spearheaded a new house for Estée Lauder, the third since the company itself launched in 1946 and appeared with Estée Lauder Youth Dew (1953), following the male-only Aramis house in 1965, created after the 1964 launch of Aramis by Estée Lauder (1965) proved a smash success. The house of Clinique formed three years prior to the release of Aromatics Elixir, which itself felt like both a sequel to Estée Lauder Youth Dew and Estée Lauder Azurée (1969), which both took the floral chypre in animalic oriental and green leathery directions respectively. Aromatics Elixir was considered a non-conformist fragrance for women with sharp green opening notes, and a soapy clean finish that was miles away from the rich spicy orientals, or dusty tame florals women came to consider as the standard fare for a lot of the 20th century. Chanel and YSL was already to go with this new direction too, but stateside Aromatics Elixir was easier and a bit more affordable to come across. Estée Lauder itself would riff off of the Clinique-labelled Aromatics Elixir to make Aramis 900 (1973), which is for all intents a dialed-down and more-hesperidic Aromatics Elixir "for men". Estée Lauder via Chant and other perfumers was infamous for retooling its successful feminines as masculines but renaming them to sound unique all throughout the 70's into the 80's, but here it is super obvious. Unsurprisingly, Aramis 900 and Clinique Aromatics Elixir smell pretty close side by side, and both are wearable by any gender in the 21st century, but Aromatics Elixir edges out its "masculine" redressing in power and complexity.

The fragrance opens up with aldehydes, bergamot, galbanum, and a soft chamomile counter-balance that screams out of the sprayer super green and citric before slamming on its brakes. Rose is very quick to follow much like The Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose (1972), but rather than settling in with just that rose, Aromatics Elixir works in some jasmine indole, orris, muguet, and ylang-ylang, bringing to mind a vibe similar to Azurée. Tuberose is here but not in the amounts that it would be in the 1980's, letting the soapy white florals mix with the green top and create a vivid clean sparkle that dances on skin for hours and hours. The oakmoss bite expectant of a chypre is here, backed by a slight tinge of animalic civet, but not enough to steer it out of clean territory, while patchouli, vetiver, and labadanum keep the green/gold chypre color palette, like a soapier and rosier take on Azurée mixed with a dab of Youth Dew musk. There's nothing particularly woodsy about Aromatics Elixir, but wood notes in feminines outside of sandalwood pretty much died out after the 60's, so having something like a cedar note mixed in would have turned this right quick into a men's fragrance from the perspective of the conventions found in the decade. Longevity is good, and sillage is mighty like a lot of Estée Lauder classics, so be careful with application as a little goes longer than expected, especially when compared to it's softer-spoken brother, Aramis 900. Best use is spring through fall outdoors, but really anyone can wear this anywhere with the right application, as it it quite versatile, if old-fashioned by modern conventions.

Aromatics Elixir really only survives today because of its cult following, and has had many limited edition repackages reminiscent of Calvin Klein cK One (1994) and a more recently an explosion of flankers all trying to adapt a new skin over the aging framework of the stuff. Worn in the right company, anyone will definitely stand out in a crowd with the electrifying opening and fresh, clean dry down, without the fear of heavy animalics making one seem as they're trying too hard for attention or affection. I don't know if it "goes far beyond the role of perfume" as it's advertisement states, but it is a certain kind of confidence bottled up for enjoyment, not a bravado or gung-ho confidence, but like a clean suit or dress and favorite tie or necklace. Aromatics Elixir is like a security blanket disguised as a powerhouse, because it moves in with sharp angular opening notes before becoming something comfortable and poised, with a sharp bite in the finish that never lets you forget that there's power being held back, which is saying a lot for something originally spun at the "fairer" sex, but such is the wonderful dynamic interplay that is the debut fragrance from Clinique. Simply a classic that must be tried, Aromatics Elixir is another wonderful example of that old former "Lauder DNA" where everything had this green, gloriously resplendent, and luxurious feel within the chypre context. This one deals more with soapy accords, oakmoss, and rose more than some others of this era, but is equal to just about all the old Lauder family fragrances by Bernard Chant and the gang. Thumbs up
Sep 17, 2018

This is extraordinary stuff. I'm learning that chypres fascinate me, and as far as I can tell AE is a true test of your love for the genre: it's a chypre in the challenging, confrontational, old-fashioned school. It opens with a powerful blast of funk mostly composed of old-fashioned bitter herbs, but there's just enough of something friendlier in there to balance it on the line between repellent and intriguing. When I tested the EDT version the confrontational bizarrity evaporated far too quickly and left a base of wanly polite florals behind; where others might have felt relieved by that, I found myself wishing it hadn't rolled over and apologised. The EDP, however, does exactly what I hoped - it reeks and reeks and does not quit, and I still cannot tell for one moment whether I actually think it smells nice or not. Which absolutely rivets me to it. As it wears on, every once in a while the florals try to elbow their way to the fore but are promptly squashed again by that unholy top end; it's like watching a civil war among opposing factions of wood faeries, and I'm hooked. On the wishlist.
Dec 14, 2017

My kindergarten teacher wore this. 36 years ago. Yes, AE is that unforgettable. So, I tracked down her signature scent, intending to make it my fabulous signature, too. Wrong. I wore it for about 6 months, but this is way too strong on me ... a little goes a long, long way. Too loud to pull out and describe nuances, when a simple "no" will do just fine.
Sep 9, 2017

Show more reviews of Aromatics Elixir...

Add your review of Aromatics Elixir