Anubis
Papillon Artisan Perfumes (2014)

Overall

Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

About Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Anubis was launched in the Summer of 2014 as part of the initial trio of fragrances from Papillon (the other two being Tobacco Rose and Angélique)

The company says:

With a name inspired by the Egyptian God of the afterlife, Anubis embodies the sacred mysteries of Ancient Egypt.  Heady blooms of jasmine, amid rich suede, smoulder over an incense laden base of frankincense, sandalwood and labdanum.

Vivid slashes of immortelle, pink lotus and saffron create a perfume shrouded in darkness and veiled in mystery.

Reviews of Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

There are 29 reviews of Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes.

This excellent fragrance has nothing at all to do with Guerlain's Songe d'Un Bois d'Ete which I own and love. That is Wasser's attempt at a provocative oud, Anubis is a marvelously dry, dusty, leather incense that lasts all day. It is genuinely surprising, if not particularly difficult. At worst it has a gothic, ren faire, costume-y vibe. At best it is my favorite fragrance, textured and endless.

Suede, incense resins, creamy woods, saffron and immortelle (aka cumin flower), with other supporting florals. The base will unleash some more florals and immortelle.
To my nose stands in between the creamy/saffrony myrrh of Guerlain BM/Songe (as others have noted) and the incens-y suede of the less popular Edward Bess Genre (that I casually received a couple of days before this one, and it struck my mind as soon as I tried Anubis).

While it made sense when it was released in 2014 as a 'twist' on Songe d'Un Bois d'Ete (released 2 years earlier), the price tag is now improper in views of the alternative options available in particular given Bois Mysterieux's honest price tag. To each his own, but as far as I'm concerned I'll stick with Guerlain's and Bess's, that I found both more satisfactory for my tastes, independently of the price. Thumbs down, due to lack of originality - inexcusable at that price point.

This is a simple subtle honey and chocolaty woody scent, good longevity but stays quite close to the skin. If you like this kind of thing then it is outstanding. Not for me though.

Scent: 7/10
Projection: 6/10
Longevity: 7.5/10

A high quality artistic scent. Perfection.

This is my go to scent when searching for something otherworldly or ethereal. Rich and thick beginning with ideal leather notes sweetened with immortel, labdanum and frankincense... Incredibly pleasing from start to finish for those of us who like high quality, artistic and unique perfumes.

Asian acquaintances mention I smell like temple. Mission accomplished!

Good work from this house!

Note: I noticed that the liquid does evaporate in the bottle. Perhaps some tweaking in design is needed

Edit: I'm not sure what happened. After I used my sample and bought a spray decant, Anubis became less lovely, less floral, more harsh. The great floral at the heart didn't hang together, and the harsher elements prevailed. I've had this experience several times when switching from dabbing a fragrance to a spray, of liking the fragrance less. The experience shows, I suppose, that there is a perfect concentration and application-style for some perfumes. Unfortunately when I opened the decant and dabbed from it, it still wasn't the exquisite creation I remember. So is there another variable? Air perhaps? My nose? I'm leaving the review below intact for the time being, though I may need to change it.

I thought this might be yet another incense, wood and leather fragrance, which I love in principle but can be a derivative genre. Or loud. Or clumsy. Or lacking vision. Or not my cup of tea. I wasn't prepared for its big, beautifully blended jasmine/immortelle component which made it smashing. The magic dance of its floral and earthy accords gives Anubis mystery, depth and richness. It's as if this was an alchemy I was always longing to happen with this type of fragrance, but didn't know it. When the topnotes started unfolding, I instinctively said “Yes”. There's a roundedness that's satisfying and balanced, which you don't always get with all those earthy elements, and feels fleshed out and whole.

The part I liked best was it's leather - simply beautiful. The florals gave such grace and beauty to the leather, and the leather gave such human, earthy resonance to the florals.

Anubis has a somewhat close but strong sillage for two hours, turning into more of a skin scent after three hours, though it's still quite smellable from 6-8 inches away. And when I moved I could smell its light sillage. It stayed at this level the rest of the day, becoming enjoyable in its soft resin, wood, incense, leather and floral drydown, because it didn't become simplified or stripped down. In particular, I'm pleased it didn't devolve into oud, or it would have made it less. Anubis feels like somewhat of a classic to me.

big thumbs up on this one...for me, this lies somewhere between the smell of resins coming from an ancient tomb or sitting in a wooden cathedral with huge billowing clouds of incense...thick, rich and opulent...can almost feel a physical presence of a wall of fragrance...for me this is incense, resins , suede and some woodiness...and that's all it takes to make me very happy...and a nice smoldering smoky overall effect...full bottle worthy to me...The only minor complaint I have is that I wish it had more of a powerhouse projection and a longer shelf life....otherwise, excellent...

Show more reviews of Anubis...

Add your review of Anubis