Anubis
Papillon Artisan Perfumes (2014)

Overall

About Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Anubis was launched in the Summer of 2014 as part of the initial trio of fragrances from Papillon (the other two being Tobacco Rose and Angélique)

The company says:

With a name inspired by the Egyptian God of the afterlife, Anubis embodies the sacred mysteries of Ancient Egypt.  Heady blooms of jasmine, amid rich suede, smoulder over an incense laden base of frankincense, sandalwood and labdanum.

Vivid slashes of immortelle, pink lotus and saffron create a perfume shrouded in darkness and veiled in mystery.

Reviews of Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

There are 27 reviews of Anubis by Papillon Artisan Perfumes.

This is a simple subtle honey and chocolaty woody scent, good longevity but stays quite close to the skin. If you like this kind of thing then it is outstanding. Not for me though.

Scent: 7/10
Projection: 6/10
Longevity: 7.5/10
Dec 16, 2019

A high quality artistic scent. Perfection.

This is my go to scent when searching for something otherworldly or ethereal. Rich and thick beginning with ideal leather notes sweetened with immortel, labdanum and frankincense... Incredibly pleasing from start to finish for those of us who like high quality, artistic and unique perfumes.

Asian acquaintances mention I smell like temple. Mission accomplished!

Good work from this house!

Note: I noticed that the liquid does evaporate in the bottle. Perhaps some tweaking in design is needed
Nov 10, 2019

Edit: I'm not sure what happened. After I used my sample and bought a spray decant, Anubis became less lovely, less floral, more harsh. The great floral at the heart didn't hang together, and the harsher elements prevailed. I've had this experience several times when switching from dabbing a fragrance to a spray, of liking the fragrance less. The experience shows, I suppose, that there is a perfect concentration and application-style for some perfumes. Unfortunately when I opened the decant and dabbed from it, it still wasn't the exquisite creation I remember. So is there another variable? Air perhaps? My nose? I'm leaving the review below intact for the time being, though I may need to change it.

I thought this might be yet another incense, wood and leather fragrance, which I love in principle but can be a derivative genre. Or loud. Or clumsy. Or lacking vision. Or not my cup of tea. I wasn't prepared for its big, beautifully blended jasmine/immortelle component which made it smashing. The magic dance of its floral and earthy accords gives Anubis mystery, depth and richness. It's as if this was an alchemy I was always longing to happen with this type of fragrance, but didn't know it. When the topnotes started unfolding, I instinctively said “Yes”. There's a roundedness that's satisfying and balanced, which you don't always get with all those earthy elements, and feels fleshed out and whole.

The part I liked best was it's leather - simply beautiful. The florals gave such grace and beauty to the leather, and the leather gave such human, earthy resonance to the florals.

Anubis has a somewhat close but strong sillage for two hours, turning into more of a skin scent after three hours, though it's still quite smellable from 6-8 inches away. And when I moved I could smell its light sillage. It stayed at this level the rest of the day, becoming enjoyable in its soft resin, wood, incense, leather and floral drydown, because it didn't become simplified or stripped down. In particular, I'm pleased it didn't devolve into oud, or it would have made it less. Anubis feels like somewhat of a classic to me.
Apr 17, 2019

big thumbs up on this one...for me, this lies somewhere between the smell of resins coming from an ancient tomb or sitting in a wooden cathedral with huge billowing clouds of incense...thick, rich and opulent...can almost feel a physical presence of a wall of fragrance...for me this is incense, resins , suede and some woodiness...and that's all it takes to make me very happy...and a nice smoldering smoky overall effect...full bottle worthy to me...The only minor complaint I have is that I wish it had more of a powerhouse projection and a longer shelf life....otherwise, excellent...
Mar 25, 2019

Massive suede & frankincense shows up first. Big sandalwood and labdanum follows. Primarily, I get leather. I smell a tiny bit of flower; not much. Lots of saffron appears. This sweetens up a bit later on, on the skin, with jasmine and immortelle. Anubis is a dark, brooding, masculine, furry animal.
Dec 29, 2018

Anubis is the second perfume I'm trying from Papillon, after Tobacco Rose, and like Tobacco Rose, Anubis is very provocative and strong.

Certainly the main players here are the olibanum and myrrh, as the incense aspect is perhaps the most dominant, but the olibanum is subdued in part by being combined with the animalic suede, lovely floral immortelle, and mysterious saffron. I'm not intimately familiar with pink lotus.

This certainly strikes me as a fragrance that could work well for both men and women in the cold weather. Incense, myrrh, suede, and the slightly sweet immortelle.

At 50ml for $160, the price tag matches the quality, so this largely comes down to whether you love it or not, and I'm not quite sure if I do. I much prefer the myrrh combined with vanilla in, say, Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser than this, though the immortelle has the added effect of keeping Anubis rather unisex. Certainly one to be worn in the cold weather, as well.

7 out of 10
Dec 28, 2016

Show more reviews of Anubis...

Add your review of Anubis