Antilope fragrance notes

• Base

• Oakmoss, Civet, Sandalwood, Musk

Where to buy

Latest Reviews of Antilope

Not a perfume I would recommend to someone just starting out on a perfume journey. Not to sound like a snob but this is an old school aldehyde that to a newbie inexperienced nose will receive the dreaded "Old Lady" comment and scrunched nose. You have to know who you are and what you are doing in order to rock Antilope confidently. In fact, It’s a test of patience and faith in old style perfurmery. Where you have to do a little suffering for a glorious payoff in the dry down.

I feel this is a perfume of opposites. At first it is clean and soapy, bright yet strong aldehydes, crisp starched white shirt and then it shifts, and you begin to smell a flower garden, lily of the valley, carnation, red roses, and jasmine. All are blooming and new then the shift begins again, and the flowers and fruits are a bit too ripe and going off. There’s also some greenery buried in the chorus of floral noise; vetiver is always hard to miss and it’s especially evident as Antelope moves to its final act: a warm and powdery base of musk and oakmoss. This perfume makes me contemplate the impermanence of life. It begins bright and hopeful but in the middle and the end it becomes wistful, and a bit melancholy. A contrast between strength and tenderness and tenderness wins in the end.

Comparing this to Patou's Joy right now and I can see the similarities, but Joy is not a dupe for Antelope. Both are bright aldehydic florals in the beginning and both finish tenderly. I envision a young woman - not a debutante, but not senior, either - who is dignified, classy, and independent, attractive but with too much self-respect to be loud and showy. A perfect antidote to the syrupy sweet, cotton candy offerings that seem so pervasive today.
20th June 2023
Vintage Antilope perfume is mostly a powdery musk bomb on me. I really don't get any flowers or anything else. Antilope is rather charming but ultimately a little dull as well.
12th December 2022

Antilope is a different type of fruity; a woody-fruity.
It's a mix of almond frosting, pinky-red fruits, and coumarin-iris-vanilla.

On paper, it falls flat like appliqué raspberries on hessian, but wear it and the radiance is complex, a room filler; and it doesn't have the shouty feel you sometimes get from fruity scents.

Being a fruity, Antilope is not out of place with J'adore and all the rest of those things, it just has more finesse than them.
But on the other hand, even though it's a red fruity floral, Antilope is closer in spirit to the old green chypre of Y (1946). High praise in my book...
22nd March 2021
Stardate 20171230:

Vintage EDC:

I think the top notes were gone so I get no citrus here. What I do get is a wonderful blend of flowers, spice and animalics. Not too dirty - just right.
I would love to try the vintage EDP formulation to see the aldehydes and florals.

31st December 2017
First review from February, 2014 was a negative: I have sampled the current version and find it for me a non-scent. I can hardly make out any of the 13 ingredients, listed above in other reviews. This is just barely a dry grassy scent. The vintage must have been wonderful- too bad they ruined it.

First edit for vintage: This reminds me very much of Millot's Insolent (1947), so it would seem that Millot copied Weil's scent of 1945. With a nod to the original concept of a grassy scent from Arden's 1934 Blue Grass, Antilope is certainly grassy, the effect of a wind blowing in a wheat field. Much use of artemesia and immortelle, though the latter is nicely reigned in with a combination of floral elements. Quite classy and interesting. Do seek out the original vintage, happily still available from private sellers on the internet.
24th February 2014
I have a little mini of Antilope; I don't know its vintage.

I read the "ingredients", but my experience of it is a complex "grassy" scent...like a full summer meadow..or imaginatively, a savannah..

It blends well with my own scent & is not overpoweringly sweet. I have to use small amounts only because it is a very small bottle (sitting appropriately near three china leopards)...
21st June 2012
The Antilope I am familiar with is a fleuri aldéhydé et boisé (floral aldehyde with wood notes). According to my 1964 Dictionnaire des parfums de France, Antilope has the following notes: jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, iris, cedar, vetiver by-products, patchouli, aldehydes, ambergris, musk and civet. It was recommended for younger women. They described it as a fresh and playful fragrance suitable for all occasions.

I was surprised to read a far more complete and complex olfactory pyramid for Antilope in the Fragrantica website:

Top notes: neroli, bergamot, aldehydes
Heart notes: clary sage, rose, lily of the valley, jasmine, carnation, iris, violet
Base notes: sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, tonka, amber, oak moss, musk

According to my personal experience of this fragrance, Antilope's composition includes all the aforementioned notes plus a few more probably. This is a rather complex and well-balanced fragrance very typical of the early post-war era. To me, Antilope is a very feminine and sophisticated fragrance. The drier notes and the aldehydes are a little overwhelming at first but as soon as the dry-down begins, the rich woody notes emerge. I have not seen Antilope in the EDT concentration, just EDP. Also, the animalic notes (ambergris, musk and civet), which are almost a Weil signature, are quite present in the composition and not everyone can handle them. For these reasons, I shouldn't recommend it for just any occasion as the 1964 advert suggested. Is Antilope a little passé? Yes, but who cares!!! It is chic and elegant to a fault which cannot be said of some of the new trendy fragrances du jour.
21st May 2012
Loved the EDP, whats available now is way too heavy with alcohol and not enough of the components that made this fragrance one of my favorites. I have a huge bottle of the EDT but there is so much lacking in the EDT vs the EDP or even the oil. I personally prefer the oil. Is it possible to get the oils in Secret de Venus, Antilope and/or Zibeline?
3rd May 2012
I love the opening – I find it unusual and quite elegant with its “lilting blonde softness” chamomile (beautiful description, Calchic) and excellently presented aldehydes. It's not long before Antilope Eau de Parfum moves to an indole-laden, rather ‘50s powdery-floral accord with jasmine, lily of the valley, orris, and rose all definitely exhibiting their charms in the heart notes. I don't find it very original but I, personally, can't complain because its heart has turned Antilope into a compulsively sniffable affair. So far, this EdP reformulation delivers quite well. The drydown, though, is a disappointment. True, I'm happy the leather doesn't rise up and bite me, but none of the other notes do have much of an effect either. For me the base dies… no iris, patchouli vetiver… only some anemic amber, a half-hearted cedar, a spongy leather, and a characterless musk. The base comes across very weak to me. I don't know where the problem is, but I do have a problem finding enough substance in it.

I would love to have sampled the vintage offering
11th December 2010
This one came out during the craze for aldehydes where the rage and this hapends to have aldehydes this one has more of an exotic tinge to it chanel no 5 has more of a sparkling bergamot and lemon weil's antilope more is a musky leather of a perfume.
4th November 2010
My first exposure to Antilopewas the EDC in the tall hexagonal bottle. bears no resemblance to the vintage formula, it is sort of a drugstore shampoo-y floral.

Then there is the vintage:

I scored EDT & PDT on ebay January 2012. Reminds me of vintage My Sin + chamomile, with less civet. Same "lotiony" floral heart, which must include clary sage and muguet, to my nose anyway. Very easy to wear. Long lasting, too. Like My Sin and Chanel °5, it has aldehydes, anisic I believe. Chanel °5 has never worked for me, so I thought all aldehydes would be off limits, but Antilope has won me over. Just remember, go vintage or go home!
27th May 2010
My review for 'Antilope' is based on extrait from a recently opened flacon dating to the late 1940's, early 50's.Bottle was boxed, cellophane sealed & perfectly stored.A boozy opening of partially dead & damaged aldehydes followed immediately with the most powerful hesperidic top notes I have ever experienced from a vintage 'fragrance'.Sicilian Bergamot plus Tangerine or Mandarin possibly combined with lashings of the highest quality Grasse Neroli, absolutely breathtaking !No cloying sweetness at all to be found in this perfectly blended beauty, the inclusion of sage in the heartnotes and Vetyver in the base stops this from happening.At this stage the floral elements become apparent, I detect a melange of Rose, Hyacinth, Narcissus and Jasmine, all underpinned with a generous dose of Florentine Iris (Orris butter)The addition of Acacia Farnesiana within this floral composition lends a slightly dry, honyed beeswax accent in keeping with the Savannah reference to this perfume.I believe the newer formulations include chamomile, this would account for the extra dry hay-like effect absent in the original version.Superb sillage drying down to a woody base with hints of Vetyver, Oakmoss, Amber resin, Sandalwood and soft Nitro musks.I failed to detect any of the listed animalic notes in this vintage orchestration, no civet, castoreum or Ambergris & would classify this as a Floral chypre (Dry Hesperide)Have yet to sample Secret de Venus 'Antilope' ? (Huile de Bain) another number on my to-do-list !The newer Parfum de Toilette version is less floral with a slightly synthetic woody base lacking the depth of character showcased by the original formula.Vintage Extrait of this calibre & concentration is appreciated fully when atomized.and applied sparingly.A rare vintage jewel from the House of 'WEIL' . . . . .
14th May 2010