Antaeus

About Antaeus by Chanel

Chanel
Jacques Polge
Jacques Helleu

Antaeus was a handsome hero, son of Greek Goddess of the Earth, Gaeia and God of the Sea, Poseidon.
A warm, woody fragrance with notes of Sage, Patchouli and Labdanum.

Where to buy Antaeus

Reviews of Antaeus by Chanel

There are 239 reviews of Antaeus by Chanel.

This is the antithesis of modern perfume.
It is bold it is strong it is projection and it is longevity. It is ANTAEUS, Chanel Paris
What my nose detects.
The opening is pungent Lime and Myrrh and coriander. Slowing opens up the heart with that Basil peppered Rose landing on a labdanum patchouli and oak moss base.
There is a honeyed sweetness in the base even in current formula that is reminiscent of beeswax absolute.

This is based on 2020 formula. It’s a beast still and ever so satisfying. I have worn vintage and while it is more dense. The current form is more than satisfactory and pleasing. Especially given the true vintage prices.
Oct 23, 2021

I’m too much of a novice and this is far too rich and complex a fragrance for me to try and give any sort of note breakdown so let’s just forego that.

I will say that, for what everyone says about how aggressive the opening is, I think it’s very well blended and as such, pretty easy to take..

Not vintage and no batch code on hand(read: lazy). I bought it in 2020 from a Chanel counter and, even compared to some other vintage bottles I have, it is deep, refined, honest and ambitious. It lasts long and it isn’t at all off-putting.

An integral part of a spiritual olfactory lineage in which it is the landmark with Aramis 900 on one side and Ho Hang Club on the other. Long live.

All said, if anyone wants to share a vintage decant, I’d be remiss to decline.
Oct 12, 2021

Antaeus launched in 1981 for Chanel's men's line, at a time when hairy-chested powerhouses were poised to become the mainstream standard for men's perfumery. Forty years later and you should read the reviews on these fragrance forums. They talk about Antaeus as if it were big sweaty balls in a bottle. They say it drips with, and imparts onto the wearer, an objective and undeniable virility. They wax poetic about the good old days and lament the reformulations, which they denounce as castration. I have not worn, not even smelled (knowingly, anyway) vintage Antaeus. But I do have a modern formulation. And let me tell you, there is something very interesting going on with today's composition that nobody seems to be talking about: it's got a femme streak. Specifically, that waxy makeup accord that Chanel does so well. Sure, you've still got your aromatics atop patchouli and moss, and sure there's an ashiness throughout and a quality that many may find too animalic to bear. And yet, in contrast, there's that trademark Chanel makeup accord shot through. Not only is this a deliciously sly subversion of its own history of machismo, its also a savvy business move, because its unisex appeal ensures Antaeus will stay on the shelves. This nimble adaptability is, in my opinion, a sign of a truly complex fragrance.
Feb 16, 2021

Chanel Antaeus EDT -

Out of the night that covers me
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

- “Invictus” (Henley, W.)

4 Stars
Feb 5, 2021

Antaeus by Chanel is the oldest fragrance I wear since I was a very young boy in the eighties. I know all the reformulations that he has undergone and to tell the truth the first ones I found unacceptable, but what can you do with them, it always remains one of the best men's perfumes ever created.
This last bottle that I am using dates back to 2018 and I do not find it bad at all with an excellent performance in terms of lasting and projection
Jan 12, 2021

The slogan of Nuance, a women's fragrance from the 1980's, was "If you want to capture someone's attention whisper." That is NOT this fragrance. Chanel Antaeus SCREAMS. It is a projection monster that announces you before you arrive. It is the scent that sexual activity is about to begin or is in its long and sweaty process. More refined than YSL Kouros, Chanel Antaeus is of its day without being dated in a negative way. Kouros to me smells like steaming urine on a hot slab of iron ore. Definitely not an office scent. Chanel Antaeus is an anamalic scent that brings out the sexual animal in a man. It was my selected Christmas gift in 1981, my senior year of high school. My mother checked on getting it but the sales associate told her it was "very expensive." My reply was "So?"
Apr 13, 2020

Show more reviews of Antaeus...

Add your review of Antaeus