Reviews of Anice
Etro (2004)

Overall

Add your review of Anice

Reviews of Anice by Etro

There are 16 reviews of Anice by Etro.

There are some perfumers, who remind me of Victor Frankenstein. "Look what I can do." Sometimes, they do not take the time to ask themselves, "Because I can, ought I to?"

This is certainly a unique and original scent. Anise and fennel over a soft musk. The references to Sambuca and the classic Springerle Christmas cookie are right on the money. (Another scent I recently experienced reproduced garum masala perfectly).

These gourmand scents are wonderfully right in the kitchen. They are part of the taste experience when eating the foods made with them. However, using them to scent the body can be jarring and confusing. This is well done, linear and certainly projects well.

I must ask myself "Why would someone want to smell like a Christmas cookie or a popular liqueur? What will be the effect on others around me when I wear it?"

I can't see this being worn in public. Around one's house however would seem perfectly fine, wearing for self, not others. If you love the scent of anise, fennel, licorice, etc. this is for you. Others just curious might do better sampling before blind buying.
Nov 15, 2015

Genre: Fougère

Pretty much what it says on the bottle. The opening is anise and salty black licorice, which cycle slowly toward a more herbaceous, bittersweet, yet still recognizably anisic accord in the heart. From there it's pretty linear and uncomplicated, if not terribly potent or long-lasting.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this stuff. I think it does a better job than either Caron's Eau de Réglisse or Hermès's Brin de Réglisse, but I don't find it all that wearable. In the end, it's not merely a gourmand – it's a food flavor. More of a curiosity than a perfume, if you ask me.
Jun 9, 2014

I really like the opening of this; licorice candy...but the drydown and middle just turn into a very standard floral--pleasant, not offensive, but really special either. I would maybe give it 3.5 stars if I could.
Mar 23, 2013

Together with Etra and some others, one of the Etro i appreciate less. As other reviewers underlined it is almost anise and nothing else, a sort of finally dry and straightforward anise-licorice-herbs accord with just a touch of musk.  Another dominant anise fragrance is for instance l'Eau de Badian by L'Occitane which anyway surrounds the anise with some evident other decently dosed  elements as grapefruit, blackcurrant, tea and moss. Anice Etro starts with a raucous, alcoholic (i see the association with Sambuca) and harsh blast of angelica, aromatic herbs, citrus and anise than evolves towards a sort of "solinote" dry smell a bit too cold, boozy and impersonal to be evalued as a fragrance. The smell is slightly windy (i mean airy and cold as well as some balsamic herbs or cumin are in the blend), exudes the metallic and (as others underlined) almost salty smell of licorice, may be owns some floral notes (rose?) in the blend together with cedarwood (rosewood?). Not for me although managed in its object.
Dec 21, 2011

Anice by Etro - one is greeted with a delectable explosion of anise, truly reminiscent of Sambuca with its inviting semi-sweetness ... this stirring immersion is slowly diluted with citrus, and further, in its heart, with a lovely floral, thereby softening it more ... this wonderful melange becomes more creamy and further diluted in its intoxicating base, with the additon of hints of flavorful vanilla and amber, made even more pleasant by the flickering of musk therein .... it's a skin scent for the most part, and regrettably, the longevity is not that good ... it is a light, pleasing scent while it lasts ...
Nov 9, 2011

All I get from this composition is ANISE, ANISE and even more ANISE. A tremendously realistic interpretation of the ANISE. It inevitabily reminds me of an italian liqueur called Sambuca that is sweet, sticky and unmistakeably made from ANISE. The drydonw has some ANISE but it gets a little better with a shy dose of musk and vanilla, yet everything is still overwhelmed by the main ingredient: ANISE. Did I use the word ANISE too much? That's exaclty what this perfume does on the olfactory aspect.
Apr 7, 2011

I feel compelled to write a review for this one after having read the existing reviews. IMO even the positive ones do it wrong. Yes, it is called "Aniseed". Yes. the first seconds of application are consumed by an ouzo blast. But from then on it is a whole different story. The salty sweetness of liquorice comes in only to pave the road for a delicate green an floral accord which anchors to the skin with a hint of white musk. By the end of the journey all that is left to remind the aniseed is a cool salty feel that complements the florals making them less feminine and more etherial. Ultimately this is an excellent cool summer skin scent without any ozonic hint which is good and rare.
Jul 15, 2009

A clever scent that manages to carry you on a relatively straight line across a range of anise scents. So you get a bit longevity of the anise theme through a clever use of ingredients. The opening is, unsurprisingly, reminiscent of ouzo or sambuca (what do you expect when anise smells are being carried by a lot of alcohol?).The problem is that it's not clear who would want to smell like this.Unlike the Yohji Yamomoto smell where licorice is used to bring together other scents, this is just licorice.
Jul 7, 2009

A bag of black Twizzlers and all that. Anice alone in my opinion is a disgustingly harsh and raucous smell. Yup, it's anice and I don't like it.
Jul 27, 2008

I wish I could be more eloquent in my reivew but my thoughts were the same as the other reviewers. Etro Anice smells exactly like Good-n-Plenty's liquorice jelly bean candy. It is revolting and I had to scrub it off immediately. I just have to ask: who on earth wants to smell like this??? Here are thenotes, per The Perfumed Court: anise, bergamot, rosewood, jasmine, fennel, caraway, iris, vanilla, musk and amber.
Jun 19, 2008

An explosion of anise opens the fragrance and I'm immediately tempted to wash it off – too much like ouzo. But the excesses of the opening immediately dissipate into a rather straightforward but now nonthreatening anise note. And that's the whole story. This is not a very complex scent: It is simply…anise. It's a gourmand that smells like licorice. It moves very quickly from the opening explosion to a discreet skin scent, spending very little time as a sillage producer. Etro's Anice is an ok scent. Personally, I neither like nor dislike the smell of anise or licorice, and that's pretty much my feeling about this scent. I must say, though, that I don't get the usual Etro synthetic sub-vibrations from this one.
May 26, 2008

Opens with a blast of "whoah, I drenched myself with ouzo (or sambuca, if you like)!" Then it's a soft, subdued refreshing/powdery/sweetish anise cologne.
Apr 2, 2007

The inital sambuca blast is welcoming for anise lovers. Unfortunately this fragrance is fleeting and fades quickly.
Jan 16, 2006

very delcious light anice licorice fragrance...reminds me of some cookies my italian grandmother kept around the house..also somewhat like lolita lempicka for men but much simpler. light, masculine, spring/summer fragrance...and of course sexy and sensual!
Oct 21, 2005

Too linear and "boozy". Apart from the beautiful flacon Anice has little to offer, just sambuca-smelling cologne, PASS.
Sep 26, 2005

One of the more "masculine" Etro fragrances. I really like it - it's a very natural, pure and yet warm fragrance. You put it on and just feel good - it's perfect for spring and summer.
Mar 21, 2005