Angel

Thierry Mugler
Olivier Cresp
Yves de Chiris
Thierry Mugler

No flowers in this scent! Just a whole load of food: Chocolate, Vanilla, Caramel...
Its uniqueness is what makes it so popular, but also the reason others can't stand it.

Where to buy Angel

Reviews of Angel by Thierry Mugler

There are 258 reviews of Angel by Thierry Mugler.

A provocative hellion. Iconic bliss dwells in this rank mixture of patchouli-cocoa. Truly, Angel was a heaven-scent 90s paradigm shift, proof that a perfumer can create something no one asked for and see that visionary risk pay off with blockbuster sales success. Angel provokes desire and then puts it to bed, a sensory merry-go-round.

I loathe gourmands (the requiste vanilla powder and spice is here) but embrace this one wholeheartedly, as there is something 'loamy' about its deeper notes. Is it sexy, or is it innocent? Who cares? Angel is deep and earthy, powerfully dry and sweet, yet as ethereal as cotton candy, too.

Suffice to say it's an almighty legend for good reason.

There is something very unusual & bizarre in the opening of Angel. Rotted garbage chicken, a sweet/sour earthy, unpleasantness that we associate with trash.

I find that, for me, Angel shines in the very long winded middle section of the wear. I let the opening notes chill the eff out, and then enjoy the sweet, cozy patchouli that comes out later in the middle & drydown.

I did not care for Angel for a very long time. It was just too weird, to gross, to big of a stink for me. But I’d always come back. I would, and do, spray one of the tens of sample vials pawned off on me by my aunties to wear every now and then to see if I tune into it. Sometimes I do & sometimes I don’t. It’s odd, it’s big, and I think it’s funny how much people hate it & I think that’s kind of why I like it.

After a brief blast of bergamot freshness, and a burst of berries (strawberries, dewberries, whiffs of recurrants, I get an impression of fresh hay the is an expression of the Helonial.

The drydown turns flora, with mainly a green jasmine on me that has no woody character, with touches of a darker rose and hints of orchids.

The the sweeter core starts: a honey not to start it off. Soon caramel is on the forefront, with a background of milk chocolate mixing a completing this triad. later on a coumarin develops, that adds spicier tones that lead into the base.

The spicy side in compliments by a rich but minimally harsh patchouli.. The desert platter in enriched further by a rich and smooth tonka not, with woods also arising as time goes by. I get mainly sandalwood here, but it is not strong on me. Towards the end, sweetish white musks add additional nuances.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection, and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

This scent for warmer autumn days was released in 1992 as the prototype of a gourmand, triggering the inundation with products of this genre in the coming years. Over time I fine that the intense and indulgent richness has been modified to make it slimmer. lighter and a bit more generic. Still a good one though. 3.5/5

Bonkers! Good! Call me crazy, but in this day and age I think it leans masculine.

Angel has been completely reformulated... and in my opinion, destroyed. No longer the chocolatey sweet, vanilla caramel fragrance that would last all day. When I first purchased Angel EDP in the 90s, it became my favorite and the most complimented fragrance I have ever worn. I would be stopped by both men and women all the time to ask what I was wearing. Angel would last all day, and the sweet yet woodsy undertones would last on clothing and pulse points for a very long time. After years of wearing, I became a little bored and strayed away to Dior's Savage. After years, I purchased another bottle of Angel EDP and was taken back because I thought the bottle I purchased was either defective or a fake. I went to Nordstrom and purchased another bottle, only to find it was the same as the one I thought was a fake. I was mortified and called Mugler customer service. They told me the Eau de Toilette had been reformulated but NOT the EDP. Wrong! LIES! The chocolate bass-note now smells like lemon nutmeg to me and the fragrance only last a few hours. As it wears, it smells like an acidy lemon body odor... to hard to describe. I am sickened that Mugler ruined the best perfume I encountered. It would of been less painful had they discontinued it completely. My guess is Mugler is no longer being manufactured in France, or it was sold to some company like Cody (that ruins any company they buy), or the original ingredients became too expensive to manufacture so they replaced scents. (My guess is it was sold) I wish the original would be reintroduced, even for twice the price if necessary... or perhaps the chemist that has the recipe died and took the formula with him. Rest in peace Angel EDP... you will be sorely missed.

I love the smell of Angel. I always have. So I wear it for me.

Show more reviews of Angel...

Add your review of Angel