Ambre Sultan

About Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

Serge Lutens

Where to buy Ambre Sultan

Reviews of Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

There are 162 reviews of Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens.

To me, this is all about amber, incense and patchouli, some spices there (notably nutmeg). Beautiful stuff, not for every day wear, for special occasions in cooler climate. Great sillage, but takes a few minutes to start. The opening notes are hard to detect, but it's certainly resinous. It isn't until about 10 minutes, I notice the star which is amber. It does smell oddly a little bit like crayons, but that's sometimes the case with ambers. There's a type of honey and vanilla accord keeping it a little sweet as well.
Oct 1, 2020

I'm a resin lover, a fan of coriander, an angelica glorifier, an admirer of woods and a patchouli supporter..

Ambre Sultan, in two weeks time, became a very loyal companion. Of course I never forgot my other friends, but this scent gives me the warmth when I need it, a uniqueness of character which pleases me and it stays with me for over 12 hours.

There's always an edge in perfume which Serge likes to cross, which is very interesting; in Ambre Sultan the edge has become its subject.
I find that even more interesting.
Feb 20, 2020

A good, straight forward amber. Slight essence of brown sugar, syrup-soaked wood. Honey undertones. Big dollop of vanilla. It is on par with Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums.

Slight peppery note in time... Something lightly herbal or green appears. It reminds me of vetiver or cypress, this last impression. Overall - grand and worthy of praise!

Nov 2, 2019

I can only assume there was something wrong with the samples I tried (branded boxed samples, not decants, btw) because I see no other reviewer mentioning the horrendous performance I got from this fragrance - weak spicy maple syrup and then completely gone in 15 minutes.
Oct 29, 2019

3 opinions:

1. The first time I sprayed Ambre Sultan on my wrist I understood why this has been referenced as the end-all/be-all of Amber fragrances. I had found my new favorite.

2. My partner walked in and asked me what smelled like play-doh. I was fairly crushed.

3. I left for a meeting. On the way, I ran into a coffee shop to get a drink. A stranger followed me in and yelled, What IS that smell? The barista asked if it was their coffee that she was grinding. He said, "No coffee smells that good."

I still f****** love it. No matter what anyone else thinks.
May 28, 2019

The problem I have with AS is the shiny green and herbal note. It has a resiny component that smells like an evergreen hedge, vaguely toxic.

And if the green resiny note weren't there AS would just smell like unsweet rubbery amber, vaguely boring in a gabardine fabric and ice cream sort of way.

But it's there, and the temperate associations I have with the evergreen note seem to clash with the parched oriental - no matter which way I look at it.

AS is a decent piece of work but I've never liked it - and now I know why, I don't know where it's supposed to be taking me, into the garden or a Bedouin tent.

***
Jan 21, 2019

Show more reviews of Ambre Sultan...

Add your review of Ambre Sultan