Ambre 114
Histoires de Parfums (2001)

Overall

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

About Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

Histoires de Parfums

Ambre 114 is a shared scent launched in 2001 by Histoires de Parfums

Reviews of Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

There are 47 reviews of Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums.

Alchymia. Perfumare. Magnum Opus.

Styrax marries synthetic sandalwood, behaves like Kronos

Whatever tortured notes (granted – thyme and nutmeg) tried to take off and escape in the first minute, they were cruelly and irreversibly swallowed by the styrax/benzoin-synthetic sandalwood combo and were no more. “That was fast”, I thought to myself. Eventually styrax turns on its partner; sandalwood puts up some fight, but the doom sets in. The inevitable happens. King Styrax reigns in solitude and boredom; to entertain itself, it allows sandalwood to occasionally reenter the scene, toying with its belief that it can be a rival. From horror, the genre turns into a vaudeville.

Everything was over in less than two hours, and in the next many, many hours I was stuck with solid and linear styrax. At least there was some rationale behind Kronos’s decision to devour his children – a rationale I find lacking behind the motives for creating this perfume.

And talk about the risks of overdosing styrax in perfumes… In my experience, this always seems to lead to a linear gourmand scent. Hence the delicate balance between amber and gourmand. And while I love the former, I am at odds with the latter. Maybe that’s why I turn to Annick Goutal’s “Ambre Fétiche” as a safe choice for amber scent. It is so dirty, that there is practically no risk of it slipping into gourmand. But that’s a story for another time.

PS: Again, my experience with “Ambre 114” is based on the fact, that my skin sweetens perfumes, making them exhibit their sweet notes. And I know there are other people like this too. But for all the others, I assume and hope that “Ambre 114” behaves in a more balanced and noble manner.

Histoires de Parfums, Ambre 114:
Composition: 3/10
Complexity: 3/10
Development: 3/10
Naturality: 4/10

This is one to wear when you're in a calm or somber mood where you just want a fragrance that reminds you in a calming manner that things will be okay and that good things are ahead. rich,true amber with a wearable transparency.a deep and enchanting scent,worthy for amber and spicy lovers.

First impression a dark yet delicious amber.the vanilla is the second most prominent note and adds it's aromatic, mildly sweet accord adding depth to the fragrance.the patchouli and vetiver add a soft green tone. finally,the geranium adds a mild floral touch.as the fragrance commences to dry down,the amber softens and changes from a sharp to a more delicate and powdery accord. feeling that makes you wanna bite your wrist. totally it feels familiar to me and nothing something special.

I normally like amber-based scent, but this one just wore "wrong" on me. it smelled fine on the the tester. Then the skin test:
The initial odd combination of thyme and nutmeg, (never/rarely used combo in food) replaced by the mid-tone scents which is where the real annoyance began.
Then I re-read:there are some sandalwoods and more often common musks which just do not work with my chemistry, and patchouli is not a scent I generally like. I tend to think it was the musk, but washed it off after three hours of trying to ignore the smell.

Maybe this one just doesn't work on my skin, but whatever it is, I find it really unimpressive. The opening comes off as a pretty unpleasant mix of baby powder and sharp plastic. I really don't know what's causing it. I've tried other ambers which don't do that. I typically associate a baby powder smell with heliotrope, but that's not present here. Things start to blend and calm within an hour, it remains quite a bit powdery throughout, but less so than the opening. Overall, just not what I want out of an amber.

creamy smooth amber...amber takes center stage and everyone else just plays a supporting role...currently , one of my favorite amber fragrances...doesn't really get a powdery effect like some amber fragrances tend to do...nice touch of spiciness...nice vanilla without really getting too sweet...a little muskiness to add overall body to the fragrance...and patchouli...love patchouli and think it goes especially nice when riding in tandem with amber...feels warm and cozy...full bottle worthy to my nose...the flower and wood are pretty discreet to me....

Show more reviews of Ambre 114...

Add your review of Ambre 114