Reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme

Overall

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Add your review of Acqua di Giò pour Homme

Reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

There are 338 reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani.

What an easy to like, easy to wear scent. Clean, fresh, and light. Like a sea breeze on open water. The way the fruit and marine notes blend together is masterful. Great for summer or the office. I do understand how this held it's popularity. Having smelled Profumo I would easily prefer that but the original is still very nice. I think this makes a great starter fragrance gift for a young man that doesn't have a clue what to get himself. Every time I smell this I realize it would smell good accompanied by a leather jacket. I'm grateful I wasn't overexposed to this in it's first decade so I have no bias. I feel like this is really tough to dislike unless it's from some Fragrance Overexposure Stress Disorder, which is a real thing, apparently. I understand that like A&F Fierce, for some this is the scent equivalent of hearing the song "Jack and Diane" for the god awful millionth and a half time. Luckily for me I'm still naive enough to enjoy this. I think this is magnitudes better than Eternity when it comes to reference fresh scents of the 1990's . Thumbs up.

I feel like this has went through reformulations because it has poor performance. I've only smelled batches onwards from 2016. I'll opt for Profumo or even Perry Ellis 360 Red. My review is from a 2020 sample.

I'm always surprised that AdG is so popular, given that it's so subtle. Quiet melon mixed with the smell of a beach, salty and subtly herbal.

There was a point around 2008 where it was considered a sign of perfume snob credibility to hate melon perfumes, because they were so common (and because Abercrombie piped Fierce into every mall, so melon perfumes were literally forced upon us against our will). Even so, I've always liked AdG. Somehow, its melon is understated and, dare I say, classy. And the salty sea air smell is pleasant.

Sure, the melon smells dated these days, but the real focus is on the beachfront atmosphere, so it doesn't matter. Thumbs up!

Acqua di Giò was nothing but 'Cool Water lite'.
It's a fruity-mossy aquatic where citrus takes the lead instead of crab apple.
The texture is smoother, and it's less bitter; it has less impact than the more grinchy Cool Water.
Despite - or because of - being more bland, Acqua di Giò was a big success - like its role model.

Pre-allergen sample of Acqua di Gio V Lancaster Cool Water mini

The first fragrance I ever bought a second bottle of. I was 19 and pretty uninformed. I was looking for an alternative to the Hugo I'd been wearing and the Polo/CKone everyone else was. I was lucky and picked this up duty-free in Italy the month it was released so I wasn't aware yet of how stupidly popular it would become.

I still like the scent, but for me, it's become a little stale. It became sooo ubiquitous. Even now, 15-20 years after it's height in popularity, it's instantly recognizable, which is good for Armani, bad for those who want a signature scent.

Acqua Di Gio EDT -

How I loathed this fragrance when it was new. For me, it was a victim of its own popularity as it was inescapably absolutely everywhere. School, the grocery store, the mall, the movies, everywhere!!

Now, revisiting this one almost 25 years later I can review it with a clear head and confidently say that I have now confirmed the source of my hatred for calone in fragrance. "Marine notes" just don't do it for me, especially when turned up to 11.

1 star out of respect for the popular imprint Acqua Di Gio has left on the long history of men's perfumery.

My adoration for Acqua di Gio is unapologetic and unconditional. This is my spouse's signature scent, structured enough to be noticed yet not so overt it eclipses his underlying skin musk. His mid 1990s Silicon Valley casual style has given way to a mature beard and tailored shirts of the corporate world but AdG is still going strong. Buyers should look for semi-regular 40% off sales at Armani Beauty website with free basic ship over $70 USD purchase. This stretches your dollars in a tight economy and protects against counterfeits. Delivery times are reasonable.

This is an okay scent. Does not perform well with ladies in South India.

It's nice but I need a scent that ladies like such as A*Men, Armani Mania and Boss Bottled.

The deodorant is fine on its own with the ladies but the ladies in South India aren't receptive to me when I wear the EDT!

Imagine four friends driving a convertible along Mediterranean coast. All young men wearing Ray-Ban glasses and freshly pressed light-coloured shirts. The evening wind brings salty smell and atmosphere of impatience. These guys just can´t wait to arrive at local disco, order some mojitos and hunt hot chicks.

I was really trying NOT to like this fragrance, as it´s associated with certain lifestyle. However it is simply a well-made fragrance. Very safe choice for summer evenings. The scent of fresh laundry, citruses and sea air always puts me in to casual mood instantly.

It may not be astounding or incredibly inventive, but AdG is pleasant and wholly inoffensive. Fresh, marine, and clean without being soapy. It makes an easy day to day scent, and it's no wonder it's the only thing I wore during a month-long bout of depression when I couldn't be bothered with anything else. That said, now that I'm feeling better and actually taking a closer look at it, I do have issues with the longevity. Today I wore it on my wrists and neck. After 3 hours it was completely gone from my wrists and barely hanging onto my neck. That to me is a shame, since it has a lot else going for it.

Aquatic OG. First fragrance I loved. Wore it for years, as did many others. This is a masterpiece. Fresh, masculine. Performance is not fantastic anymore, but it just smells great.

When Acqua di Gio was released in 1996 it truly changed everything. The scent perfectly aligned with the Armani aesthetic of the 90's - crisp, clean, elegant and luxurious - but restrained and refined when compared to the "more is more" scents of the late 80's/early 90's.

No wonder so many fragrances (hundreds, perhaps thousands) have been inspired by AdG. No wonder there are so many knock-offs. I remember as it started to become more popular, AdG would make the powerhouse scents seem out of style and even obnoxious. This is why I think there is so much animosity towards Acqua di Gio. Nobody likes sharing their glory with the new kid in town or having their classics overshadowed. Some of my peers at the time refused to wear AdG because it was "feminine", compared to many other men's fragrances at that time. And once AdG and its clones were so popular it became an easy target for those who wanted to step away and stand out, or weren't buying into the trend. Fair enough.

Because I wore it for nearly a decade and took it out of my rotation (even selling off my bottles), I never thought I would rekindle any sort of love for AdG. I have so many nostalgic connections to AdG that I can't be without it - a 50ml bottle will do.

And I decided to get the oldest bottle I could find (a 2001 Cosmair era). It certainly is different from the 2019 AdG in that the original has a very beautiful, lingering base that is completely absent in the newer versions. In fact the original release is even more restrained than the 2019 juice, which has a good dose of synthetics that I can't get past on my skin. The opening is louder, the mid-notes are shrill, and the base is salty and brash.

From start to finish AdG is a masterpiece, and it's taken me 23 years to come to that opinion. At the same time I almost certainly will reach for *anything* else in my wardrobe!

A victim of its own popularity, to borrow one reviewer's grammar, you certainly won't be the only one in town wearing AdG. But for those of us who recall the time and place, I think we should celebrate just how much of an impact this scent made. Shortly after AdG was released I graduated high school, went to university and started off on my own. It was an amazing time in my life and if I ever need to remind myself of that era, a spritz or two of AdG lets me travel back in time and recall those wonderful years.

Most people who were coming up into adulthood in the 90's when this fragrance launched, will name other things from the era as what they smelled more in the air on guys, so the real magic behind the seemingly-limitless popularity of Acqua di Giò pour Homme (1996) is part due to it being a late-bloomer on shelves. When Acqua di Giò pour Homme first dropped, the only other men's fragrance on shelves was the decade-plus Armani Eau pour Homme (1984), by then a tired exercise in citrus chypre craft that only appealed to old men driving BMWs, rather than the kind of younger luxury market Armani was targeting with its Armani Exchange mall stores. Acqua di Giò pour Homme alongside the previous year's Acqua di Giò (1995) were to fix that problem, representing a slow development cycle that combined the novel aromachemicals of the day with fashionable aesthetics (i.e. the aquatic genre), then tossing the usual hard bodies bumping uglies on the beach at TV viewers in the adverts just like Calvin Klein and Davidoff both did for their era-defining fresh fragrances. I'd say this combination of known styles and novel materials with expert perfumers and dripping sex appeal paid off in the long game; but for the short term, Acqua di Giò pour Homme was not a huge smash hit. and this mainly boils down to the usual Armani retail exclusivity since the average Joe could slide into a big box retailer and pick up the competing Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne (1996). That aforementioned fragrance is the equal opposite to Acqua di Giò pour Homme really, playing the short term by being available everywhere upon launch and having more novel adverts, but at the cost of brand reputation.

Depending on what website you peruse, you'll find one of two perfumers attached to this fragrance, but far more list Alberto Morillas as the man who did the deed. The truth is both perfumers worked on this fragrance together, and have said as much in interviews for those who wish to dig them up. The other and far-less cited nose is Jacques Cavallier-Belletrud (Né Cavallier), who was brought over by Armani exactly because of his then-recent work with both Pasha de Cartier (1992) and L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake (1994). Really, his skill with dry ozonic citrus accords is what Armani wanted, while Morillas had just come off of producing Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger (1994) for Lauder's Aramis division on Hilfiger's behalf, plus the hugely-successful cK One by Calvin (1994) with Harry Freemont. Armani in this case wanted Morillas' mastery of modern aromachemistry and his nose for mass-appeal. Together, these two basically smashed the best bits of L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme and cK One together, giving the whole ozonic floral musk monster they created an aquatic glaze to justify the brief and marketing. You get ozonic freshness and Italian citruses in the opening, a huge dose of then-new hedione high-CIS in the heart with rosemary, persimmon, and the usual aquatic players. The base is a simple chypre-type with patchouli, oakmoss, and labdanum dialed down real low so the Iso E Super "cedar" notes and clean white musks can do the talking. This masterpiece of mass-appeal design goes on fresh, stays fresh, and lasts for a good 6 to 8 hours varying by application and skin type, best for high heat but often becoming a year-round signature for the guys who fell in love with it.

The big slack-jawed galaxy-brain FragBros that comment on how played out this stuff is now and how dated it smells just look at the date of release and then write it off, while simultaneously dousing themselves in a 7th generation copy of a 2nd rate clone of this juice put out by a niche house for 3 times the price because it was released in 2020 or something. Hypocrites and peer pressure-induced groupthink lunacy aside, there is something to be said of how ubiquitous this stuff became in time, which lets me circle back to the top where I mentioned how Acqua di Giò pour Homme benefited from being a late-bloomer. You see, Acqua di Giò pour Homme really didn't start becoming -everywhere- until about maybe 2002 through 2007, and by that time there were tons of competing aquatics like Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren (2002) or Aqva pour Homme by Bvlgari (2005), that last one also being composed by Cavallier-Belletrud. If I had to guess why, it's because distribution finally opened up after five or six years into the mid-tier department stores like Macy's and Dillard's stateside, plus in Western Europe where high street markets remain popular, people could pop into a local druggist and nab a bottle rather than pay the boutique a visit. Plus of course, we cannot forget all those Armani Exchange stores, which had by then continued to pop up in more malls across the globe. Suddenly, people didn't have to settle for that bottle of Curve (and eventually Tommy too) from the local big box, they could have Acqua di Giò pour Homme after years of seeing the ads on TV. Line that up with the second wind the aquatic genre was experiencing in the 2000's, and a star was born. You can hate it if you want to, but I won't. Thumbs up

I've personally given Acqua di Gio pour Homme 4/5 stars, but I can only give it a neutral overall. Here's why -

Acqua Di Gio is my third "big boy" cologne (I have never really used cologne until a couple years ago when my girlfriend of the time bought me Abercrombie Fierce, and I purchased my self, Polo Blue.

I am a HUGE fan of Aquatics. Half of my collection bears aquatic themes and in these forums, you'll see my name on a lot of the Aquatic frags. Now, onto the real review.

The opening scent to AdGpH, is borderline God-sent. The Jasmine shines, and the rosemary comes in hot, making this not have a harsh-smelling opener. Through the opening and into the setting period, it transitions seamlessly by not impacting your nostrils like a roundhouse kick from hell. But next, is why it lacks for me.

I work in an office, so this is PERFECT for an office setting. It is my daily, my go-to for a quick run to the store, and sometimes even while im casually going for a bite with friends or a workout, I'll throw AdGpH on. But, I personally enjoy frags that have medium or better longevity, and i enjoy frags that have sillage that shows up and is ready to party (not literally that much, but if im standing in line for a ride at Disney, I wouldn't mind the person behind me asking what I have on.)
The sillage at first is great, but it quickly within the half-hour becomes subtle, and the longevity is gone within 2 hours. It's a shame, because this fragrence is such a well made, well presented product that can be the center piece of anybody's collection. Of course, this is only my opinion.
Worth the money? Absolutely, it's a must have. But some may tire of having a frag that can't keep up with their days.

Scent 9/10
Sillage 3.5/10
Longevity 3/10
Top Notes 8.5/10
Heart Notes 6/10
Basenotes 8/10 (If only it lasted longer, it would be a 10)

Legendary, worn by so many all over the world for decades now and STILL sported by countless others today. I give credit where it is due for AdGpH original: It stands as a dependable marine-citrus-floral men's cologne that may not be for everyone, but remains available everywhere for a new generation of wearers to explore.

AdG has a wonderful tanginess and salty touch. It shimmers and fills the immediate area with its brightness, requiring a measured, restrained level of application. Floral elements of jasmine, rosemary, and patchouli blend seamlessly, touched by the juicy sweetness of persimmon and held on a beautiful masculine foundation of musk and labdanum (rock rose).

The Profumo version, IMO, does a great job of turbo-charging the original without becoming an offensive beast scent. The Absolu version, though, seems to want to be a "me too" scent echoing Armani's Stronger With You versus the original AdG.

Great go to scent that should be given a sample spray especially because of how relevant and remarkable AdG still is considered to be by many, many wearers.

I'll start my first review off with this classic. Acqua di Giò.
This is the cologne your older brother told you about in highschool. I've been wearing this fragrance for over 10 years. This has been my "go to" for ever. I even met my wife in this.

Lately I have become noseblind to it. I'm not sure if this is due to the reformulating or not but it almost feels as if I can't even smell it anymore. I chose this frag as my work scent. I recently had to stop because I was spraying up to 6 to 8 sprays and only got a slight hint of jasmine. I thought maybe the bottle went bad. So I went to a department store and to my surprise it was just the scent itself.. Such a shame what happened to this fragrance. This fragrance attributed greatly to the first kiss from my wife. For that I owe this frag.

Occasion: Skipping class and going to the beach with your friend's on a hot summer day while The Smashing Pumpkins "1979" blast on the car radio.

Projection: 4
Longevity: 5
Versatility:8
Overall: 6/10

I don't get how this is as popular as it is. Has to be people buying it onsale. I mean its ok just nothing special... here's my experience.... after reading all the ++ reviews and it being touted as the best selling cologne for men, I thought can't go wrong. I bought a bottle online and when I received it, I put it on and thought hmmmm kinda soft and femme to my nose. I thought maybe i got a bad bottle or someone watered it down or someone bought a dollar store knockoff and put it in an original bottle...something cause all the reviews and sales it has to better then this. So i bought a new bottle from my local perfumery and nope was the same. Now I admit i'm no expert but i know what i like and what i don't. I know this sounds negative but its not. Its an ok frag if you wanna smell kinda soapy and soft for about an hour then nothing. I just may be too old for this(30's here). Maybe its a perfect cologne for the younger "millenial" generation with their more emotional ways...but I just don't get it....I use it more as an after shower spray around the house thats it for me. I do like other aquatic softer smelling frags a lot this one just smeels to femme too soft and doesn't seem to last more then an hour or so on me..

aquatic, sea notes, lots of citrus with lime predominant. Other than that it is very basic and smells pretty much the same the whole time, but that may not be a bad thing as it smells very nice to me. It has FANTASTIC longevity and sillage; perfect "workplace" scent as it lasts well over 10 hours; I've gotten more compliments for this scent than any other.

I guess I don't understand all of the hate behind this. Or maybe I was never exposed to what angers so many people about this fragrance. But going on scent alone, it's a super fresh, clean, citrusy, and super soft woody aquatic, and smells amazing as long as it's not overdone.

Girls want their man to smell simple, fresh and let the man himself be confident, not some guy willing to let his fragrance do all the talking for him.

Acqua di Gio smells like dish soap and the opening is even worse. A big headache trigger to me with its intense citrusy smell. Nothing special, I don't get what makes this fragrance so popular.

Seems to be reformulated and not as long lasting. I bought and wore this in 1998 and it was THE compliment getter. I'm a fan of aquatics and this one reminded me of magnolia bloom for some reason. Citrus, floral, yet sweet and mature. If I had an old bottle I'd wear it in weekly rotation.

Comes on aquatic, calone mutters in background, beats a hasty retreat. A Secret Santa gift for someone you like a little.

Great crowd-pleaser that you have smelled before on others, but is still pleasant to wear and can get compliments because it is so fresh and clean. On my skin, this lasts all workday, 8 hours and projects nicely during that time.

What a gorgeous fragrance this is, after all my forays into niche I can't say this wows me anymore but it does continue to please me.