A*Men Pure Malt

Thierry Mugler
Givaudan

A*Men Pure Malt is a men's fragrance launched in 2009 by Thierry Mugler

Reviews of A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

There are 143 reviews of A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler.

The recently departed Manfred Thierry Mugler created a 20th century gourmand standard bearer with Angel Men(A*Men) in 1996. The 'Pure' flanker series became it's own coveted series of focused fragrances released from 2008-2012 as limited editions and included Coffee, Malt, Havane, Wood, Leather, Energy. As we entered the 2020s it seems like all have become scarce and more difficult to find with Pure Malt and Pure Havane having seen the most success and production. I don't have a ton of confidence in finding reasonable avenues to procure any of the others and am grateful I was able to acquire Malt and Havane before they hit stratospheric prices.

A*men Pure Malt has a sweeter 'peat-ier' twist. Pure Malt seems to just slightly lag behind Pure Havane in current popularity. I love them both. If you have the chance to obtain this as a decant or a bottle at a price point you can afford I recommend it. Accuracy as a true boozy scent doesn't meet an organic or niche level quality it is simply A*men's synthetic gourmand sweetness and adds the boozy twist. As a synthetic slightly booze laden A*men it is great. Yes this is over-hyped, and likely too expensive right now as a flippant investment, but worth trying to smell what all the fuss is about. Thumbs up.

I'm so happy I ignored the marketing that this is for men. This is warm and boozy and woody and I'm swooning from this soft enveloping hug.

I have been on a bit of a Mugler kick recently since I picked up some sample bottles of A*Men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane and Pure Tonka (I know, late to the party). I wrote all of these fragrances off on the basis that I didn't like A*Men when I first smelled it.

I'll be the first to hold up my hands and say I was wrong.

Of the samples listed above I bought full bottles of Pure Malt and Pure Havane and to be quite honest, I struggle to choose between the two.

Pure Malt opens with a nice heady, booziness which is backed up by the A*Men DNA but is not overbearing or cloying. Pure Malt isn't quite as groundbreaking as the original A*Men or B*Men however it is very wearable and I find it to be a lovely, light-ish, oriental gourmand that lasts all day.

It really is unbelievable that a designer fragrance at this price point could be so good. If, like me, you can't choose between Pure Malt and any of the other flankers available in your country (in the UK it's Pure Havane) then at the price point you could easily afford both.

I hope this is around for many years to come.

Not my bag to smell like a high end beer was spilled on a generic, lacquer sealed table, but maybe some enjoy that. I would've hoped for more in the drydown, but nope, pretty linear; just yeasty beer.

Projection and longevity were average for the house, so you don't get the usual Mugler benefit of beating everyone in the grocery store over the head with your scent. Which is probably a benefit, as you might be cited for Public Intoxication.

Maybe this cup of tea, or brew, is for you, but I expect more from this house.

Just behind Pure Havane, but its a close second :) FANTASTIC designer fragrance.

Possibly the most overhyped fragrance of all time.

Some of the reviews here say that this is a blind buy, and the amount of praise that Pure Malt receives here would certainly lead one to believe that that may be the case, but let me assure you that this is not a blind-buy, and there's a very good chance that it's not a "buy" at all.

It's built on the Type-2 diabetes-inducing A*Men (1996) chassis, and the first blast is an intensely sweet synthetic that reminds me of a dirtier H.M. (1997) by Hanae Mori. Where people are getting the notion that this smells like booze -- nonetheless Scotch whisky, THE booze made from malt and peat -- is beyond me. I am a big fan of Scotch whisky. I have had a lot of Scotch whisky in my time. I know how to spell it correctly. In fact, I've even been to Scotland twice and have worked for a Scotland-based company! This smells like whisky about as much as lime Jolly Ranchers taste like biting into a fresh lime, which is to say "a passing resemblance" at best. As this is built upon the A*Men platform, this is best left to younger gentleman, and old folks north of 40 years of age, such as myself, should probably pass on this. It smells like something that belongs at a club, and certainly not at any place one would consider "elegant" or "refined." You certainly shouldn't wear this in any professional or office setting. Longevity is fair, though projection and sillage are good.

This isn't an objectively "bad" scent, but I almost feel it to be in the interest of the public good that I make it clear that this is not a blind buy, nor is it a crowning achievement, nor is it a classic. It's one of the better A*Men flankers, and that statement alone, parsed exactly as is, will give you all that you need to know.

I'm generous with my neutral on this one.

Show more reviews of A*Men Pure Malt...

Add your review of A*Men Pure Malt