8 88

Comme des Garçons
Antoine Lie

8 88 is a shared scent launched in 2007 by Comme des Garçons

Reviews of 8 88 by Comme des Garçons

There are 29 reviews of 8 88 by Comme des Garçons.

Smells like a bad clone of Lalique le Lion mixed with some Cool Water Then add a couple of kitchen spices amongst which curry.

Don't even bother sampling this.

The Sower by Edvard Munch

I was expecting anything but not this powderbomb that a spray of this tuned into. If I was told this would be Love's Baby Soft Powder Edition, I would think "Oh, yes ... wow. Each to their own, I guess!"
Coming from CdG this smell surprises me, as I find it very, very, very conventional.
Alas, i don't like it, but lovers of baby powder scents could find a new holy grail here. The sillage is quite heavy.
Still: weird!

metallic gold smell, pretty artificial but nice... a must have for all this house's hardcore fans!

My personal bias dictates 888 is hideously offensive, nauseatingly rich and cloying, and smells like an 80 year old woman. It may be interpreted as smelling like "gold," IF you hate gold, and the aforementioned "gold" has a tendency bludgeon and suffocate you when in its presence.
Trying to be (more) objective, it smells like loudly amplified and obtusely generic floral, and synthetic saffron (neither note is one I would actively seek in a fragrance). I have never been repulsed by any fragrance in the way I am repulsed by 888; I dry-heaved upon smelling it, and that's NOT an exaggeration.
While I love MANY of CDG's releases, and consider them a house of multiple masterpieces, I feel they proverbially crapped the bed by releasing this.
Of course everyone has different tastes/opinions, but I see no redeeming value in this towering abomination.
Moving on...

The pepper, saffron(ish), turmeric opening is kind of unique. It isn't my idea of the concept of gold, though that inspiration seems more something to spin this fragrance on. It may not have to end up where it started, so I'll just acknowledge the seed at the heart of this of a sort of cool, solid mineralic strength, a seriousness.
It is on me, very dry, herbal, and centered. This odd saffron doesn't in any way warm my skin, like it usually does. I don't pick up the florals other people have mentioned, or any amber in the dry down. That would have made it more wearable for me. Instead it became even more uncomfy - aggressively aromatic herbs, like a raspy dry wild thyme bush. I couldn't find a resonance with this one.

Show more reviews of 8 88...

Add your review of 8 88