1872 for Women
Clive Christian (2001)

Overall

About 1872 for Women by Clive Christian

Reviews of 1872 for Women by Clive Christian

There are 6 reviews of 1872 for Women by Clive Christian.

I ordered a sample of this out of curiosity. One of the most expensive brands? It must be golden rainbow scented magic!

Not so for me.

At first blush I get a cheap metallic scent, reminiscent of bad artificial musk. This never quite abates, but in half an hour or so a more subtle and pleasing floral combination comes to the forefront. It's not powdery or one-note, but a nice, mellow, and dreamy fragrance that lingers close to the skin. Silliage was strong for the first twenty minutes and then disappeared. What was most noticeable to me was the metallic smell lingered on my clothing rather than the nice dry-down fragrance.

I cannot imagine paying full price for this fragrance. For me it has the hallmarks of a department store grade perfume and is definitely not worth the price.

Sep 4, 2018

At first there is a strong soapy scent mixed with what smells like vetiver, though none is listed.

Sourness pervades, followed 30 min later by a distinct whiff of Rose de Mai. This is the highlight of the all too brief perfume. After an hour I couldn't smell anything at all, save for a smidgen of pineapple.
Sep 18, 2015

Tried this perfume on in NYC twice and bought a tester online for 1/3 the cost. For that price, the clean, soapy, lemony crisp scent is a new favorite of mine. This is a well behaved scent I would recommend for day or non-romantic evening use. This scent people will say "You smell good" rather than ask "What are you wearing?" Don't get me wrong, they may definitely ask what you are wearing too :) !
Nov 7, 2009

I was very interested to try the much vaunted and stratospherically expensive Clive Christian 1872 for Women, and eagerly dabbed it on from my precious vial sample. But like the song goes, my reaction was essentially "Is that all there is?CC 1872 has a pleasant enough lemony/soapy scent which more or less smelled the same on my skin the whole time. After about 30 minutes, I noticed a slight bitter smell reminscent of "Off" bug spray. The sillage was fair at best. To be perfectly candid, CC 1872 is boring perfume with anemic notes that are unlikely to offend anyone. And perhaps that is its key selling point. There are plenty of other more interesting perfumes on the market that have a light citrusy smell. Unfortunately, I think CC 1872's chief attraction is the mystique of buying "the most expensive perfume in the world". To this point, the most noteworthy thing about CC 1872 is its price. From nosing around the internet, I've found that it is currently being sold for MANY hundreds of dollars and in return one will receive a 1oz of juice in a "handmade crystal bottle with 24-karat gold-plated sterling silver collar and engraved crown stopper". Hmmm.... What is that saying about there being a certain someone born every day....? Per The Perfumed Court, here are CC 1872's notes: bergamot, tangerine, lemon, pineapple jasmine, lily of the valley, rose de mai, jasmine, orchid, cedarwood, sandalwood and patchouli.
Jun 19, 2008

Oh my gosh, I just love this fragrance. Complex and layered, and every new development is a delight. This is a beautifully balanced floral, with an amazing progression, great lasting power and excellent sillage. It smells expensive, elegant, refined and mysterious. Each note complements the other, with a perfect harmony among the components. I often find a perfume I love, but can still (in my mind) improve upon, such as "Oh I love this, but it would be even better with a touch more vanilla" or " Gee, this is terrific, too bad they didn't tone down the saffron." I can safely say that 1872 is a composition that I would not tinker with. Bravo!
Jun 9, 2008

1872 comes on rather loud – almost rude, but that is just for the first few minutes. Typical of many of the “best” fragrances, it blasts an opening and then gathers up the errant notes, organizes them, and then sends them out into a beautifully refined, balanced floral / green fragrance. The rose is the strongest note I get from the floral, but the word “strongest” is definitely out of place. Except for the near rudeness of the initial opening, there is nothing in this scent that is not sensitive, refined, and sophisticated. The quietly impeccable rose note stands out slightly from the recessive but complete jasmine. There is also the suggestion of bergamot in the accord, and the fact that individual notes can be identified in such a subtle and transparent accord speaks to the incredible quality of the fragrance. There is also a violet note definitely present. There is a very slight fruity – berry, I think – note in the accord, too. The total ambiance of the fragrance is light, transparent, and yet it is solid enough that I never lose track of the accords: This is another testimony to 1872’s quality. 1872 has a light sillage and excellent longevity. It’s a beautiful fragrance that I don’t necessarily see as feminine except for it delicacy. If it works with a person’s chemistry, it might actually be worth its price.
Mar 9, 2008