1828 Jules Verne
Histoires de Parfums (2001)

Overall

About 1828 Jules Verne by Histoires de Parfums

Histoires de Parfums

He (Jules Verne) was born in Nantes, at the beginning of that century of discoveries. The close ocean took him far away, inspiring in him extraordinary novels of adventure. Inspired by the father of literary science fiction, this eau de parfum, breathes its aromatic Hesperides-like scents, just as a marine breeze over a wild heath.

Reviews of 1828 Jules Verne by Histoires de Parfums

There are 38 reviews of 1828 Jules Verne by Histoires de Parfums.

Have you ever come across a fragrance that you want to like, but just can't because of one thing? 1828 Jules Verne by Histoires de Parfums (2001) is one such fragrance for me. 1828 seemingly does everything right from the onset, being a fragrance inspired by the famed adventure fiction novelist of the 19th century, mixing marine and citric freshness with a woody aromatic background, and being a "marine breeze over a wild heath" to paraphrase the market copy. Indeed, this perfume must have been amazing in 2001, combining the popular marine themes in the mainstream masculine fragrance market at the time with a deeper aromatic twist that would be bound to please fans of the richer garrigue masculinity found in fragrances from the 70's and 80's, but in now it just smells a bit too plain for its price tag. For me, this is caused by the inclusion of either a single material, or single accord made from materials that are now nearly universally featured in many high-end floral fresh musk fragrances, that while likely not cheap, are so common as to be expected now, but smell okay in their relevant context. When you start mixing this ubiquitous "luxury fresh floral musk soap" note with more burly green notes and woods like pine, and it sends confused signals to my brain that makes me go "no please", even if at the time this came out it may have been a novel combination. Context changes everything in time, but let me explain.

The opening of 1828 Jules Verne is initially very nice, coming out of the gate with a dry pencil shavings pine note similar to Pino Silvestri (1955) or Acqua di Selva by Victor (1949), surrounded by slightly more-modern citrus aquatic cocktails. There is a nice minty eucalyptus note here joined by grapefruit and orange, tangerine and a big hedione lift into the heart. The hedione here is very reminiscent of fragrances like Dior Eau Sauvage (1966) without the jasmine flavor or 1881 pour Homme by Nino Cerruti (1990) without the rose, so you get a creamy white floral clean but without any identifying flowers to give it form. This is mistake one for me, because this "nondescript florality" (not a word but bear with me) rubs me of Calvin Klein cK One (1994), which is nice at $30 but not at $200+. Nutmeg supplies dustiness to the floral feel in the heart, while a bit of black pepper counterbalanced the eucalyptus. The dihydromyrcenol aquatic note is here too in small degrees, but this is no Cool Water (1988). The base is where mistake two occurs, as a very fluffy white musk like I've seen Annick Goutal, Xerjoff, and House of Sillage use a million times shows up here, but in the context of those other houses blends well with the florals, but here with the pine and citrus, clashes and dominates the aromatics. Some late stage Iso E Super "cedar" woods, vetiver, and some form of incense note (likely timberol) join this fluffy clean musk, but it takes over everything. Wear time is 10+ hours with moderate sillage, and this feels like it could be a year-round signature for someone.

So for me, the big deal breaker is that 90's unisex hedione "grayness" found in now-discounted surviving examples of the unisex craze mixed with the 2010's luxury floral soap musk used in $300+ examples as a way to pad out performance on a dime but avoid smelling like it is. In other words, this smells like a modern niche fragrance where shortcuts were made to enhance performance, but without the benefit of being a modern niche fragrance where those bare seams are more cleverly hidden in redolent top and heart notes, since we're talking early 2000's where niche houses were very much still in experimental mode. For this reason, I can't totally flunk out 1828 Jules Verne, since it's not trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, but I also don't fully enjoy how this thing is constructed. I enjoy the fluffy white musk bits in a fragrance that's built around them, but not when they are juxtaposed against citrus and green aromatics like this, giving 1828 a weird ghostly sweet richness it doesn't feel like it should have. Likewise, that huge hedione lift is right at home in something like the aforementioned cK One or even Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani (1996), but here just kill the magic of a scent trying to evoke a famous author from the 1800's. You could have shoved this in a Guerlain Aqua Allegoria bottle with reduced performance and I would have gone "okay sure", but here as 1828 Jules Verne, I feel misled smelling this. Neutral
Jan 18, 2021

Lovely fresh cool and clean masculine fragrance.
Eucalyptus, grapefruit, pepper, vetiver and cloves with the first three prominent and tangerine waving its hand occasionally.
The initial fresh blast settles to clean and cool slightly peppery.
Outstanding. Different enough to be a signature scent.
This can be used on almost any occasion but for me will be my warm weather scent.
FBW and I just did. I am glad. HdP have had several near misses for me. eg Fidelis and Memoires of a Trespasser.

Fragrance: 8/10
Projection: 7.5/10
Longevity: 7.5/10
Aug 26, 2020

I think I must be anosmic to this scent. Somehow super bright citrus scents often blast me for about 1/2 a second and then disappear, completely. My partner will say, “ooooh lots of bergamot” or “wow! Lime and grapefruit.” And I’ll be thinking, “does this have any scent beyond perfumers’ alcohol?”

It’s a strange feeling, as I can almost smell the scent coming from the closed bottle(let’s say near the cap) but as soon as I spray it’s like the world of smell goes quiet around me. It’s like when someone fires a gun next to the TV detective’s ears and the ringing is so loud that it blocks out all the other sounds as the character(I’ll be honest: I’m thinking of Archer) stumbles around looking dazed. That’s me in my living room right now.

I’m sure it’s lovely. Histoires is one of those houses that consistently marches to their own beat. I’ve read good things. But no. I can’t wear a scent that I can’t smell.
Jun 30, 2019

A manly fragrance. Very attractive. The citrus & eucalyptus are bright, sort of old style, at the start. Nutmeg blends in moments later. It give this a creamy, spiced tone. Pepper is here - not too much.

Eucalyptus, nutmeg, and increased pepper remain prominent, as some cedar and vetiver begin to add some freshness. Then some pine flavor comes along. The whole thing remains masculine. It reminds me of the 1970's in a way. It's very good but, I couldn't personally wear this.

Cedar, vetiver, incense, and pine increase after more time. Vetiver brightens. It's greener and more fresh, clear. The base is the best part. If it were the base alone, I Could wear 1828. As it is, I know I would enjoy this one on a man. I'll give it 3 and a half stars. Lasts for many hours.
Apr 14, 2019

I like this fairly well: it's nice and inoffensive, although maybe not very exciting. It's subtle and restrained (even elusive, as described below). During the opening, I can not get past the association with a chewing gum or bubble gum, a nice, agreeable gum, and that's not all I smell - there are more notes behind that - but the gum association is strong. At the same time, it's a natural-smelling fragrance, and easily wearable, completely polite and appropriate for any setting: office work, an interview, Thanksgiving dinner, a Christmas party.

It's listed (marketed) as masculine, and the pepper note helps make it more masculine, but I would have described it as unisex leaning feminine - it's so soft and round. It definitely strikes me as more feminine than masculine. I would like this on a woman.

So many fragrances use a cedar note that smells harsh and modern (trendy), but this lists cedar, and smells slightly woody, without a hint of chemical nightmare.

The incense in this case is frankincense rather than nag champa, and frankincense starts to dominate more as it develops, as frankincense typically (always?) does. Combined with how soft and round this is, and how agreeable the wood note is, the frankincense makes this a great scent for winter holidays.
May 22, 2018

Lovely fresh, cool and clean fragrance from HdP.
Mar 17, 2018

Show more reviews of 1828 Jules Verne...

Add your review of 1828 Jules Verne