• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

What Percent of Your Wardrobe Do You Actually Wear?

kosui no kaori

Sep 14, 2022
Out of your entire wardrobe (whether it be extensive or modest), what percent of your bottles actually get worn rather regularly?

Do you evenly rotate amongst all of them? Wear a set 5 or 6, while the others gather dust?

I definitely neglect a large part of my collection, and need to figure out a better way to give more scents more love. I tend to try something (I have countless blind buy bottles that I’ve done this with), like it/love it, and then forget about it while it gets pushed back behind new additions or old favorites. I came across a large number of scents today that I’d completely forgotten about, yet loved.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Out of your entire wardrobe (whether it be extensive or modest), what percent of your bottles actually get worn rather regularly?

Do you evenly rotate amongst all of them?
Unfortunately, I would say I wear only around 5% of my wardrobe "regularly".

I do not evenly rotate among all my fragrances. Wish I did....or could. I think having a large wardrobe pretty much rules this out.

kosui no kaori

Sep 14, 2022
I might use 30% of my wardrobe regularly. But I have a lot of samples and decants I should wear more of, for sure.

Yes!

I didn’t even account for my samples and decants - they definitely need more love, too.

enframing

Jan 27, 2023
I just started, give me a little time, please, to figure this out. I have around 70 bottles and maybe 50 discovery samples. At this point I probably wear 3% on the reg. But honestly, many of the scents I have are "iconic" in one way or another (good or bad). I don't have them to wear, I have them for an education.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Did a little math and it was bit surprising.

Given the size of my collection, I thought it would be way smaller.

Over last year I have worn 85% of my stuff.

But only about 20% were worn enough that I would say "regularly."

Last edited:

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
throughout a year I probably wear about 60 - 80%, but some only once. I do switch them up a lot in order to get through that many and I don't travel with the same fragrances I use at home due to size issues. I currently have too many fragrances.

ErroneousFact

Aug 16, 2022
A solid majority, which only really precludes blind buys I don't like enough but aren't worth selling. Which will get used for other stuff, sometimes far faster than wearing them like spraying several rooms willy nilly.

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
I share some of the sentiments above in that I think I wear 80-85% of my collection pretty regularly. Some fragrances to my mind don’t really work for work, so I wear them in the evenings and on weekends. I strive for variety but definitely have favorites. And yes, I probably have too many fragrances… 🙃

D

Deleted member 26372156

This sounds ridiculous but I'm only comfortable having 1 to 3 bottles of perfume at a time. Maybe ten years ago (when I was 22) I had a larger collection of 7 or 8 bottles but now I'm just not comfortable having so many perfume bottles taking up space and collecting dust, even if they are beautiful.

The way I engage with perfume as a hobby is mostly through samples, reading about perfume, watching perfume content, and sampling in stores if I can. I love what other people have to say about a particular fragrance and see how subjective our sense of smell can be. I don't need to own something I really like.

It just feels more personal to me to have one or two perfumes. Someone can walk into my bedroom and look around...there's my diary and fountain pen, there's the bottle of perfume I always wear, my favorite top, my prized bristle brush etc...it just feels more personal than if my shelf looked like the entire inventory of Nordstrom's...I just pick a vibe lmao

I'm wearing Le Labo's Neroli 36 these days and Un Air de Bretagne by L'Artisan Parfumeur (I like scents reminiscent of the ocean plus I'm in California)...and I have about 10 little samples of various fragrances. Blind buying a full bottle of perfume just by reading about it is something I've never done--it's not for me! Smelling everything inside of a boutique and chatting away with the sales associate is probably my favorite aspect of this hobby :D

strangelight

Jun 9, 2022
Most actually! I spend a lot of time trying samples, and some frags are very seasonal for me (Moon Bloom is summer only) but I'm pretty happy with my current collection and have moods where I want to wear pretty much every fragrance. I have ~13 FBs and about 14 travel sizes/decants >5ml and I have "use" for almost everything.
My main "I like it but never reach for it" offender is Tauer's Une Rose de Kandahar. Keep flip flopping on whether to sell it or wait.

edit: I've almost always made sure to fully test a fragrance at least 3 times before buying and have never felt the need to own FBs of fragrances that have much cross over with each other - helps a lot with stopping me from owning more than I would use. For example, Rogue's Champs Lunaires is lovely but I have no need for another tuberose.
There are 2, maybe 3 FBs I want that fill holes in my wardrobe but after that I should probably make it a "rule" to only buy more if I use up or sell one.

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
I'm currently down to 55 fragrances from just over 115 a few months ago and wear 100% of my collection! Would like to get it down to 50 in a couple of months, it just feels like the perfect number for me. Picking my SOTD became a chore and it was time to get rid of anything that hadn't been worn for a few months. If I don't love something enough to wear it regularly then it simply doesn't belong in my collection! No likes now, just loves and I'm also building up a collection of 50 minis (and back ups of a few of them) to add interest and variety to things! I'm definitely a recent convert to minis because it's fun to just wear something for a few days or weeks and then move on to something completely different!

Pheusinger

Jan 20, 2019
I've work most of them. "On a regular basis" is kinda tricky though. I tend to use the different "synchs" (Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Weekend) to help shake things up, and have been trying not to repeat the same scent within a given month. There are some favorites that slip past that system, but thats been my MO more recently. I've also used my own themes to keep variety going (like a particular house for the week or specific genre).

whoame

Jan 15, 2022
This sounds ridiculous but I'm only comfortable having 1 to 3 bottles of perfume at a time. Maybe ten years ago (when I was 22) I had a larger collection of 7 or 8 bottles but now I'm just not comfortable having so many perfume bottles taking up space and collecting dust, even if they are beautiful.

The way I engage with perfume as a hobby is mostly through samples, reading about perfume, watching perfume content, and sampling in stores if I can. I love what other people have to say about a particular fragrance and see how subjective our sense of smell can be. I don't need to own something I really like.

It just feels more personal to me to have one or two perfumes. Someone can walk into my bedroom and look around...there's my diary and fountain pen, there's the bottle of perfume I always wear, my favorite top, my prized bristle brush etc...it just feels more personal than if my shelf looked like the entire inventory of Nordstrom's...I just pick a vibe lmao

I'm wearing Le Labo's Neroli 36 these days and Un Air de Bretagne by L'Artisan Parfumeur (I like scents reminiscent of the ocean plus I'm in California)...and I have about 10 little samples of various fragrances. Blind buying a full bottle of perfume just by reading about it is something I've never done--it's not for me! Smelling everything inside of a boutique and chatting away with the sales associate is probably my favorite aspect of this hobby :D
I can relate to this. I also have 2 different perfumes in full bottles and several samples. Currently I'm wearing the samples more because I'm trying to figure them out, get to know them better. And it feels so good when I come back to my regular perfume, everytime I connect to it better and confirm it really is a great match.

D

Deleted member 26372156

I can relate to this. I also have 2 different perfumes in full bottles and several samples. Currently I'm wearing the samples more because I'm trying to figure them out, get to know them better. And it feels so good when I come back to my regular perfume, everytime I connect to it better and confirm it really is a great match.
Is Korrigan your regular perfume? That is a special one :O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whiffwizard