• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Welcome new-at-DIY-fragrance members! Read this first

Dravcas

Jan 25, 2015
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the great stickies on this forum - BN has been a great source of information for me as I collect notes on perfumery DIY prior to starting, and I have to say I keep coming back to refresh concepts. The How-to primer and list of 100 aroma chemicals has been particularly useful, so thank you again.

I thought I would quickly introduce myself and state my intentions! My name is Adrian, and my partner and I have been talking about making solid perfumes for a while. We researched solid perfumes from the simple single essential oil variety to those with bespoke fragrances. We decided that it would be much more fulfilling to produce our own perfumes rather than blend someone else's fragrance oils. The idea has now grown (as they are prone to do) to include traditional ethanol-based perfumes.

We are researching and researching but will soon begin ordering some gear. My plan is to make a purchase and produce a sort of lexicon on the properties of each item before making any blends.

I'll continue to lurk around, but will be popping my head up to say hello!

mintle

Jan 20, 2015
Dear all,

I just wanted to say hi since I am a reader not a contributor to this forum yet. And also thank you sooo much :) for gathering all this valuable information and sharing your knowledge!

I am mastering my patience skills now since it takes a lot of research, learning and reading to even get to know and explore raw materials.I have always had a sensitive nose and was able to identify scents and compositions worn for example by strangers passing me by on the street. I just want to create beautiful scents for me and my friends :)
I have built my mini lab and gathered supplies, even created one formula that is wearable with plasure (however please note I tend to be less judgmental and more forgiving towards my first creations in any field ;)).

Looking forward to this great journey!

rrheaton

Feb 7, 2015
Hello,

I am brand new to this. I have created a blend I LOVE, its approximately 2 ounces and 20% is my aromatic blend. I mixed this with 150 proof alcohol in a two ounce container to sit for a while. The fragrance is sitting at the bottom and completely separated from the alcohol. What can I do to fix this? I used a lot of jasmine sambac absolute so I really hope I didnt ruin it.

Please advise!!!!

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
I don't know if you have the means of separating the two layers, but if you can find a way to do so then I'd do the following:

Separate what you have now. If you get a little of your 150 proof layer in the separated-fragrance layer that's okay, or leave a little of your separated-fragrance layer in the 150 proof, that's okay.

You're not done, because the separated-fragrance layer probably will not smell the same as the concentrate originally did, because some materials within your blend will have had more tendency to separate, and others more tendency to stay in the 150 proof. So, neither will smell the same as the original.

(Give your separated-fragrance layer a smell though, it would be interesting to know!)

Next, to the 150 proof I'd add an amount of IPM (isopropyl myristate), perhaps equal to half original amount of fragrance concentrate. Add an amount of water at least equaling your amount of 150 proof: it can be more if that's convenient. Shake. Let separate.

Separate the IPM layer from the alcohol/water layer, give it a smell too for knowledge, and add to the separated material of the first step.

If being very particular, repeat that step.

This should recover practically all of your aroma materials. (Perhaps not phenethyl alcohol if present; perhaps a bit of other things, but most likely everything of importance unless that includes PEA. Even PEA will be at least partially recovered. Jasmine doesn't contain PEA.)

Then redilute back with proper (190 proof) alcohol. Everclear 190 proof is I think the best; perfumer's alcohol is also usable.

If separation just doesn't go well with the implements available to you, separatory funnels are available from Amazon.

Last edited:

rrheaton

Feb 7, 2015
Thank you! How can I separate the 2? Is this possible by using a pipette to remove the bottom layer?

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
I generally use a separatory funnel, or in rare cases (different than yours) have simply poured off. A pipette might work, particularly if you can find a glass that has a conical bottom, like a martini glass. As speculation, you might be able to plug the bottom of a glass funnel and use that as the container to pipet from, or if the layers are well separated, to drain the bottom layer using your finger to control the flow.

I don't know as I've always had the glassware that's designed for separation, and have only improvised when I've had gummy material, or too much material to fit into a funnel, or precision wasn't needed and I was in a rush.

pussinboots

Oct 21, 2010
Hello,

I am brand new to the DIY forum and just wanted to say thank you for all the wonderful resources gathered here! This sticky is a wonderful idea!

I have a question that I've been trying to answer searching the forum, but perhaps I don't know where to look. My hope is that if the thread already exists - that perhaps it could be added to the original sticky, as I suspect others may have this question.

My question is about smelling and learning the raw materials when you are first starting out. I have read that it's wise to dilute your raw materials before smelling them - because it's less wasteful and also easier to get a more accurate impression of the aroma. Ok! So how do I do that? I have a bunch of EOs and a handful of isolates that I've ordered. I'd like to beginning studying them using the Jean Carles method, and maybe get a few synthetics to sniff too. But how do I dilute them to begin sniffing? What do you dilute them in - perfume grade alcohol? Is a 10% dilution a good idea across the board? I've heard "it can vary depending on the material" - but since I'm new, I don't know how to determine what a good % dilution would be.

Once one has the proper dilution, then I'm assuming it's straightforward work with tester strips - and letting them sit, and smelling at intervals, to see how the scent evolves over time, and taking good notes. Right?

Thank you! I'm sorry if my questions are foolish or have been answered elsewhere. I've searched on "dilution" but did not find this exact question address for the very beginner.

Last edited:

HRLQN

Jun 19, 2014
I dilute with perfumer's alcohol, I see you're across the pond so I'm not sure about where to source that from over there but there's a couple of links on that subject in the original post in this thread.

As for percentages, I do tend to use 10% across the board. Generally the only materials where this would differ is with some of the much higher impact chemicals such as Geosmin and the various pyrazines, which tend to come pre-diluted anyway. The best way to do this is to pick up a set of digital scales so you can accurately measure out your ingredients when diluting. And be sure to label said dilutions, and to take the percentages in to account when writing out formulas.

SuzieQ

Jul 20, 2016
this is a great collection of links, it sounds very useful! I kneaded my first experiments just... and, at first, I read more about the "Equipment", and if I can, I will add some info about budget methods.

alt2

Aug 8, 2016
This is so awesome! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I think I have effectively spent 6 hours reading link after link after link after reply after reply... and so on. This site is awesome. You guys are great!

Chetopa

Apr 13, 2016
This is such an amazing resource/list! Thank you so much for putting this together. I've been on Basenotes for months but hadn't jumped over to this forum until I got the bug again to try again and make my own fragrances. My 1st two batches were basically futzing around with Everclear and essential oils which resulted in some decent room sprays but nothing that lasted on skin. This will be a huge help. Thanks again.

turron

Dec 29, 2008
Hello, I'm new - before posting a new thread, I wanted to see if this would be appropriate:

I want to post a breakdown of the aroma chemicals/essential oils that I want to combine (ie the top notes, middle notes, base notes, accords) to get feedback on the combination and any tips on possible additions. I have to buy the components in advance and some are pricey, so I'd like to have sound advice before buying something that may not work at all.

Would this be OK?

Srishti

Jun 13, 2017
Hi All,

I am trying to make perfumes. Could anyone guide me with these questions:
1. Can I fill alcohol based perfumes in plastic spray bottles?
2. Is it necessary to add water in alcohol based perfume?
3. How is mist made? Is it just more percentage of distilled water?

Dmitriy

Dec 10, 2014
Hi All,

I am trying to make perfumes. Could anyone guide me with these questions:
1. Can I fill alcohol based perfumes in plastic spray bottles?
2. Is it necessary to add water in alcohol based perfume?
3. How is mist made? Is it just more percentage of distilled water?

2017-06-25_151531.jpg Are you sure you read at least the beginning of this topic in which you write? It is not recommended to store perfume in plastic containers. I do not know the answer to the third question.

Attachments

• 2017-06-25_151531.jpg
    2017-06-25_151531.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 433

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CairnsAirConditioning