• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Weekend perfume sync June 2023 - June 2024

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Another year, another sync!

We are back with the next installment of the weekend sync, originally started by the fabulous @SmokeAndSky

I've tried to come up with themes that are diverse and flexible enough for most people to find something in their wardrobe that will apply. It's a way for us to get creative with the things we already own, be inspired by other people's interpretations, and enjoy some lovely and lively discussions.

The idea is that you can join each weekend, either for one day or both, depending on what works for you.

I hope you will all join me on this journey, have fun!

WeekendTheme
June 3 & 4Walking a mile……in the previous poster's shoes. This weekend we celebrate our fellow Basenoters! The plan is as follows: take a peek at the wardrobe of the person who last posted in this thread and pick a scent from your own wardrobe you think would suit them. Bonus points if you can give a brief description of your fellow Basenoter's style.
June 10 & 11Peony seasonWear something big, pink and frilly
June 17 & 18Roaring 20sScent your 20ies, the current 20ies, or the ones from the previous century, it's up to you
June 24 & 25Plastic fantasticWith so much to do about things smelling natural, let's go for a scent that smells delightfully artificial
July 1 & 2Gods of OlympusThey are petty, they are messy, they are vindictive... scent an Olympian god of your choosing
July 8 & 9Aldehyde appreciation weekendFatty, soapy, sharp, or sparkling, this weekend we bathe in aldehydes
July 15 & 16The deep blue seaI'm adding a category that is my own worst nightmare: marine scents, just to challenge myself
July 22 & 23Sun burntA little too much sun and not enough sunscreen
July 29 & 30NudityA skin scent, something musky, or perhaps something a bit more dirty…
August 5 & 6Regency chique'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife', but how about a fragrance? What would you pair with a high collar or an empire waist dress?
August 12 & 13Fruit punchBring your best fruit scent
August 19 & 20ModThe 60ies are always in fashion
August 26 & 27MonsoonEverything is drenched and humid
September 2 & 3DynastyOpulence! Drama! Carringtons! Shoulder pads! Pick a scent that would not be out of place in the oily world of Dynasty - the 80ies version, obviously.
September 9 & 10The threadTime for some analysis! Take a good look at your own wardrobe, what's the thread connecting your perfumes? Tell us about it, and select the fragrance that best showcases your tastes.
September 16 & 17Rolling in the hayDry grass, golden fields, autumn is in the air! Or, if you reside on the other side of the globe, spring! In that case, something that resembles fresh green pastures.
September 23 & 24Heathcliff!!!'Why did you despise me? Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy?' This weekend we are brooding, we are tortured, and we smell just like Emily Bronte's infamous anti hero. Temper tantrums are encouraged.
September 29 & 30Starter scentShare your expertise! Suggest a scent that would be a good introduction to a specific style or note you like
October 7 & 8Bitter BettiesA weekend to celebrate all things bitter
October 14 & 15Scent a super villainIf you were a super villain, what would be your evil plan, and more importantly, what would you smell like?
October 21 & 22Pulled from the earthRooty things and damp soil
October 28 & 29Adams family valuesThe brief is: mysterious and spooky
November 4 & 5DuneIn honour of the second installment of the movie series, I present to you: The spice weekend
November 11 & 12Punk!You bring the attitude, I'll bring the safety pins
November 18 & 19Scrooge would be proudPick a cheapy that smells great
November 25 & 26TaigaAhhh, the scent of endless snowy pine forests
December 2 & 3Bottoms' up!Drown your sorrows in something boozy
December 9 & 10MoreishWear a scent that you can't get enough of
December 16 & 17Where there's smoke…Cigarette, pipe, or campfire, a weekend to smell things burning
December 23 & 24SnowFresh slopes and crisp flakes, are we having a white Christmas?
December 30 & 31Fireworks!Ring in the new year with something spectacular
January 6 & 7White flowersIn the great tradition of @SmokeAndSky, wear your white flowers in winter
January 13 & 14Rock on!Motörhead or mineralic, you decide
January 20 & 21DragWe are all born naked and the rest is drag. So wear a scent that feels like slipping into someone else's skin
January 27 & 28Everything everywhere all at onceA fragrance fit for the multiverse
February 3 & 4MetropolisFuturism at its finest
February 10 & 11Breakfast in bedBread and butter. Orange juice and coffee. Or maybe bacon and eggs? As long as you don't leave any crumbs!
Bonus day: February 14Roses gone wildPick a rose, bleed a little! What is the wildest rose fragrance you have?
February 17 & 18Let's just be friendsPick a scent or a house that you like, but it's not a love
February 24 & 25GothicGo dark and vampiric
March 2 & 3ImpressionismLoose brush strokes & natural light, what fragrance strikes you as impressionistic?
March 9 & 10DandiesThis weekend, we're elevating aesthetics to religion and follow in the footsteps of 18th century it-boy Beau Brummell. What scent makes you feel like a dandy?
March 16 & 17Work horseAlso known as the 'dumb reach'. Which fragrance in your wardrobe gets more wear than recognition?
March 23 & 24Show ponyThe opposite of the work horse. Which scent do you only break out for special occasions?
March 30 & 31Yellow bloomsWhat it says on the tin
April 6 & 7Fragrance armourInspired by a thread by @CeeTee, what fragrance provides you with an olfactory defense against the world?
April 13 & 14SymphonicPick a scent for your favourite classical composer or piece
April 20 & 21SurrealismCeci n'est pas une pipe, ceci n'est pas un parfum?
April 27 & 28PollenPrescription strength anti histamines at the ready…
May 4 & 5Sunshine in a bottleThink happy thoughts!
May 11 & 12HerbivoreGive us some plant based goodness
May 18 & 19Memento moriA scent to remind you that everything ends
May 25 & 26Carpe DiemA scent to help you seize the day

Last edited:

sakecat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 3, 2022
Love this list!!!
I find myself looking forward to Friday and weekend synchs - they are opportunities to dig deep into my (rapidly expanding) collection and get creative.

I particularly have my eye on July 15/16 - the "dreaded" aquatics weekend :devilish:
Can't wait to share our mutual distaste for watery scents with you @yellowtone !

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Thanks everyone, I hope it's going to be a fun year!

And @sakecat and @ClockworkAlice I do expect to see you both during the Blue weekend, shared suffering and all that ;-)

Is there anyone else who feels like @N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer about a Jan-Dec sync rather than a June-June sync? I personally don't mind starting half way through the year and I'm not sure if I have 7 more months' worth of sync ideas in me.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I personally don't mind this synch being from June to June.
As a person who only starts feeling like actually living sometime in late April or early May and who slightly dies inside during the winter months, a June-to-June year feels very symbolic and natural. 🌿

But I can see how January-to-January might feel more complete and more natural to others. I think you should do what you feel is best.

CookBot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I've just had a chance to review the new themes, and Yellowtone, you have absolutely outdone yourself. The themes are brilliant. You are fantastic at this.

There's a perfect mix of the scent-specific and the imaginatively challenging. I especially liked Surrealism and Metropolis.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks everyone, I hope it's going to be a fun year!

And @sakecat and @ClockworkAlice I do expect to see you both during the Blue weekend, shared suffering and all that ;-)

Is there anyone else who feels like @N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer about a Jan-Dec sync rather than a June-June sync? I personally don't mind starting half way through the year and I'm not sure if I have 7 more months' worth of sync ideas in me.
I personally don't mind this synch being from June to June.
As a person who only starts feeling like actually living sometime in late April or early May and who slightly dies inside during the winter months, a June-to-June year feels very symbolic and natural. 🌿

But I can see how January-to-January might feel more complete and more natural to others. I think you should do what you feel is best.
You can certainly take your time, it wouldn't be for another year anyways. Maybe brainstorm and write down ideas that come to mind between now and next year.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Awww, thanks for all the kind words everyone! It's fun to come up with all of these themes but even better to see they are landing with you.

As for the sync's timing, I'm leaning towards leaving it June - June, I agree I kind of like that it has its own rhythm. Perhaps next year someone else wants to take over and they may change it to suit their preferences.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
…in the previous poster's shoes. This weekend we celebrate our fellow Basenoters! The plan is as follows: take a peek at the wardrobe of the person who last posted in this thread and pick a scent from your own wardrobe you think would suit them. Bonus points if you can give a brief description of your fellow Basenoter's style.

Yellowtone - From what I can tell she enjoys Chanels (as do I) and florals. I probably would wear Chanel Eau de cologne, a classic citrus scent. Maybe that's something she might be open to liking.

375x500.7130.jpg

Last edited:

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I know that @N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer enjoys Bath & Body Works fragrances, orientals, and sweet stuff. I hope he gets a chance to try their new men's packaging of Mahogany Teakwood. This is different (in my opinion) from both Mahogany Woods and Teakwood. It's a strong oriental with a nice warmth, a touch of coffee, and a kind of earthy presence. Great stuff, and worth a sniff!

026636414.jpg

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I took a good long look at @Redneck Perfumisto 's wardrobe, which reads like the inventory list of a well stocked but discerning fragrance boutique I wouldn't mind visiting. There are fragrances from every corner of the fragrance world: classics, designers, niche, cheapies, and the occasional novelty scent (Pokemon?!). The majority of your wardrobe leans masculine and was released recently (last 2 decades or so). Based on what you wear the most, you seem to have a healthy appreciation for modern designer scents, mostly masculine oriented, but I also notice a couple of Chanel feminines in there, especially the ones with prominent iris notes like No. 5 Eau Premiere. Now the challenge is finding something to recommend you that you don't own yet, and I think I've found something! May I suggest to you Maison Violet's Nuee Bleue? It reminds me of Eau Premiere; airy, powdery goodness, lots of round citrus on top, and a lovely warm, somewhat resinous dry down. I wear it frequently because it's so easy going and fresh while also feeling comfortable and grounded.

@N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer thank you for your suggestion! I am ashamed to say that I have never even tried this particular Chanel. When visiting a Chanel counter there always seems to be something else that attracts my attention. I am sure I'll like it, there are very few Chanel's that don't agree with me, so the next time I'm in store I will make a point of testing this.

sakecat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 3, 2022
@yellowtone - I envy your niche wardrobe. We seem to both enjoy dark leaning scents, musks, ambers, and dark flowers with the occasional foray into lighter florals and greens.

I had a chance to go to an Eris Perfumes event recently and was smitten by Mxxx.
A stunning smoky woody amber with an amazing musky drydown.
I think this might be right up your alley.

Honestly, everything I smelled from the line was pretty amazing.

Thank you for starting us off with this fun synch topic.

Pheusinger

Jan 20, 2019

sagebrush

Nov 20, 2017
@Pheusinger : looking at your sizeable collection, and seeing there is commonality with my collection within a certain genre of dark, smoky, maybe vetiver, spiced etc scents, I shall be wearing CdG Black this evening, which I think you might enjoy, if you haven't tried it already - though if you have, it's not recorded in your Wardrobe. All things dark : vetiver, licorice, tar, leather, smoke, spices. Probably incense too, seeing as it is from CdG.