• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

The Rogue Perfumery Discussion Thread

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I guess I'm a little late to the party, but Rogue is my discovery of the year.. I currently own 3 fragrances from the house..

Mousse Illuminée for when I simply have to smell my best... a beautiful fragrance.
Tabac Vert.. as a lover of tobacco scents, this quite simply, is signature worthy
Bon Monsieur, because it smells so damn good.
My three favorite! Though I own and love Chypre Siam. These are the ones I wear all the time.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Tried Chypre Noir. Definitely get the Cabochard comparison. Moments of it lean further into aramis territory for me. The leather is a bit rougher than Cabochard(though don’t ask me what era, I’d have to ask my mom) so it defaults to aramis in my mind, though it’s been a minute since I’ve worn either.

Hazzle77

Feb 3, 2021
Ishtar is surprisingly incredible. Like others mentioned its a really high quality birch hand soap. It’s fresh, clean, a touch musky and just enough frank to satisfy my craving. Overall this is simple but effective in conjuring memories of freshly tumble dried linens still warm and ridiculously smooth.

L’Homme is one I need to spend more time with but I’m really loving the drydown. I wish it performed better.
Wearing Ishtar oday from the little rollerball in the sample set and it's fantastic - the incense note is superb.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Got a sample of Targhee Forest yesterday and sprayed a little on my shirt sleeve.

First impressions are definitely old-school leaning, woody/patchouli type deal. The first memory that came to mind was of the original Speed Stick deodorant I remember from the 90's. Eventually a perfume came to mind - Monsieur Carven. While I haven't worn them side-by-side, this has a lot in common with MC, from what I remember of it.

I think it's quite nice although I probably won't go for a bottle. If anyone read the blurb Manny wrote for it and expected it to smell like a Rocky Mountain landscape, they might be disappointed. I read it more as an inspiration for, rather than a "Targhee smells like the following:".

Tester

Mar 27, 2007
Anyone here tried the zingari man x mousse illuminee recovery splash? I’m tempted to get it. How does it compare to the original EDT in scent?

I got both the Zingari shaving soap and splash for Mousse Iluminee and Bon Monsieur...haven't bought
any Rogues perfumes yet.

Having used both extensively for close to a month, I can say that it has swayed me from initial resolve
to buy the corresponding fragrances. I love all 4 for shaving but I don't think I want to smell
like this all day. Both smell exceptionally clean and pleasant...the Mousse feels a bit heavier and greener, maybe because of the moss. BM is just citrusy and very uplifting. Excellent for shaving. The smell lingers
throughout the shave and perhaps till 15-20 min later.

For my actual purchase of the fragrances, I have narrowed my shortlist down to Tabac Vert, Chypre Siam, Fougere L'Aube and Vetifleur....going in totally blind.

Is there any standout Rogue title that features Patchouli prominently ?

Last edited:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I got both the Zingari shaving soap and splash for Mousse Iluminee and Bon Monsieur...haven't bought
any Rogues perfumes yet.

Having used both extensively for close to a month, I can say that it has solidified my resolve
not to buy the corresponding fragrances. I love all 4 for shaving but I don't think I want to smell
like this all day. Both smell exceptionally clean and pleasant...the Mousse feels a bit heavier and greener, maybe because of the moss. BM is just citrusy and very uplifting. Excellent for shaving. The smell lingers
throughout the shave and perhaps till 15-20 min later.

For my actual purchase of the fragrances, I have narrowed my shortlist down to Tabac Vert, Chypre Siam, Fougere L'Aube and Vetifleur....going in totally blind.

Is there any standout Rogue title that features Patchouli prominently ?
Mousse Illuminee is a powerhouse in terms of potency.

Chypre-Siam is great if you want something more subtle, it's one of my personal favorites from Rogue.

Tester

Mar 27, 2007
Mousse Illuminee is a powerhouse in terms of potency.

Chypre-Siam is great if you want something more subtle, it's one of my personal favorites from Rogue.

Any recommendations for a Rogue that features a prominent presence of patchouli?
Most fragrances I seem to gravitate towards are found to contain it.

Olympe de Gouges

Feb 26, 2022
Any recommendations for a Rogue that features a prominent presence of patchouli?
Most fragrances I seem to gravitate towards are found to contain it.
I would have said Bon Monsieur, but it is sort of more classic masculine/barbershop, but I think it is the only one with patchouli as a prominent part of it.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
My apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere already, but completely by accident I came across this new Rogue Perfumery offering on their Etsy sales site - Targhee Forest. The fragrance profile and notes listing has me absolutely salivating to try it - blind purchase already placed.

*Source: Rogue Perfumery's own Etsy sales page for the perfume.

Olfactory profile: Green | Mossy | Chypre

Fragrance notes: Juniper Berry, Fir Balsam, Sagebrush, Citrus, Pine, Oakmoss, Geranium, Amber, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Musk

Targhee Forest centers on the moment when the morning sun begins warming the pine trees and a resinous, sweet musk-like fragrance begins to fill the air. The aroma of the moist forest soil mingles with the scent of the silvery carpet of sagebrush covering the nearby hills. Venturing deeper into Targhee Forest, the fragrance of rich, woody cedar and lush oakmoss is grounding, soothing and uplifting.
Unfortunately, I don't care for Targhee Forest at all. I also had high hopes for this fragrance, but alas, I don't like it. I am a complete Conehead and love all things coniferous, but I get zero conifers from Targhee Forest. What I do get is something that smells much more akin to Carlo Corinto Classic, and slightly to Quorum, although I would say that Quorum does lean more green than either CC Classic or Targhee Forest. I was hoping for a bright coniferous forest as the name would imply, but it definitely doesn't go there to my nose.

Targhee Forest is a much more brown smelling fragrance than it is a green fragrance. Brown is the way Odysseusm described Carlo Corinto Classic and I agree with that assessment and would put Targhee Forest in the same wheelhouse. If those perfumes mentioned above are your thing, then Targhee Forest would definitely be something you should at least sample.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Got a sample of Targhee Forest yesterday and sprayed a little on my shirt sleeve.

First impressions are definitely old-school leaning, woody/patchouli type deal. The first memory that came to mind was of the original Speed Stick deodorant I remember from the 90's. Eventually a perfume came to mind - Monsieur Carven. While I haven't worn them side-by-side, this has a lot in common with MC, from what I remember of it.

I think it's quite nice although I probably won't go for a bottle. If anyone read the blurb Manny wrote for it and expected it to smell like a Rocky Mountain landscape, they might be disappointed. I read it more as an inspiration for, rather than a "Targhee smells like the following:".
Great description. Definitely old school and woody/patchouli.