• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

St. Clair Scents

CookBot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I expected Bavard to melt the way I did when I first sniffed Edge Effects but both he and the Mrs. were not fans. epapsiou was equally unimpressed. Granted, these are pretty sparse data points in terms of statistical significance.

Anecdotal, but anecdotes with weight!

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
American Perfumer carries most of the line and sells individual spray samples, they're half the size and roughly half the price. Free shipping >$25.

St. Clair is (was?) a house I'm inclined to recommend in the "vintage hound who wants to try a modern take on classical styles" threads that pop up from time to time. Doing some sampling with @Bavard, Mrs. Bavard, and @epapsiou, I'm starting to rethink that. I'll still argue that, in at least 50% of her releases, there's an undeniable homage paid to classic chypres of the 1950-1970 era, especially in Pandora, Eve, Edge Effects, Moving On, and Casablanca.

Perhaps there may be more modern facets than I originally thought. I expected Bavard to melt the way I did when I first sniffed Edge Effects but both he and the Mrs. were not fans. epapsiou was equally unimpressed. Granted, these are pretty sparse data points in terms of statistical significance.

Gardener's Glove and First Cut are two I'd say are decidedly modern, especially the former. I ended up buying a small 13ml (or whatever weird size) bottle of First Cut and really enjoy wearing it on walks past the hay fields in late summer. It and Hendley Mown are perfect for those - I embrace a bit of John Stewart's "enhancement smoker" from Half Baked during late summer and early fall when it comes to perfumes and being outdoors.
Hendley I found better than the St Clair stuff we tried.
Also I am becoming a vintage snob so ignore me here

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Interesting! I find st Clair scents much richer and deeper with a more classical bent and hendley a bit more modern. I like both!

Also Edge Effects definitely took me some time to warm up to and I’m such a fan that I blind bought it originally.

the_good_life

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 2, 2006
Due to health issues I still haven't delved deeper into those St. Clair samples iso-e-superman graciously sent me while we were in the States (allergic asthma has been really messing me up bad this year). Edge effects didn't work for me at all, it feels like I'm anosmic to half of the formula, leaving just a musty / barbershoppy 1950s flicker in my nose. Aubrac, on the other hand, was like a viewmaster 3D version of an impressionst painting, super vibrant, rich, voloptuous French florals - lovely to smell, but a bit too over the top as a wear for me, except maybe to the opera. Gardener's Glove is a nice, subtle fruity-veggie garden green, well-made and perfect for, err - gardening. First Cut is olfactory art to me more than perfume. It evokes alot of associations/memories, not pleasant ones though - but interesting. I like Frost's Honeysuckle sweetness and oriental base. Casablanca sort of delivers what Edge Effects only promises, it's got a great neo-vintage vibe, though to fall in love with it, I'd like it to have a whiff of Aubrac's headiness. It feels pretty austere to me, in a Marlene Dietrich (more than an Ingrid Bergman) way. This is all very interesting and quality stuff with character, but it's close to the skin and it doesn't have the lucidity and structure I so appreciate in Annette Neuffer's natural perfumes. Won't be buying full bottles, but very happy to have smelled it.

the_good_life

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 2, 2006
Seconded. Knocked my socks off. I'm getting a bottle of something of his next time I visit the US. And I just ordered the sample pack. His style totally hits my sweet spot

Last edited:

Reiu

Feb 16, 2023
I've been wearing Song of Aubrac for awhile now and my 2ml sample spray is finally running low. Having worn it repeatedly in every weather it has never disappointed, although it's strong enough I usually spray it very sparingly on my stomach instead of chest like I usually do.

The blackcurrant is definitely part of what makes me keep coming back to it; immediately upon spray it just bursts on skin with such a springlike cassis exuberance, along with the citrus and tinge of frankincense. The other added florals (orange blossom, jasmine absolute, ylang ylang) really help support the narcissus; I feel narcissus absolute by itself as a raw material would have a hard time speaking up but here its hazelnut-honey-green scent is incorporated into the floral heart almost seamlessly.

I once saw a review comparing this to an oil painting and I definitely agree; Song of Aubrac is a rich, layered, vibrant perfume. It lasts forever on me and doesn't ever wear out its welcome. When I get a travel spray of this I will also try the discovery set with First Cut, Frost, Gardener's Glove and Casablanca. (Not soon, sadly, but eventually I will.)

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
I've been wearing Song of Aubrac for awhile now and my 2ml sample spray is finally running low. Having worn it repeatedly in every weather it has never disappointed, although it's strong enough I usually spray it very sparingly on my stomach instead of chest like I usually do.

The blackcurrant is definitely part of what makes me keep coming back to it; immediately upon spray it just bursts on skin with such a springlike cassis exuberance, along with the citrus and tinge of frankincense. The other added florals (orange blossom, jasmine absolute, ylang ylang) really help support the narcissus; I feel narcissus absolute by itself as a raw material would have a hard time speaking up but here its hazelnut-honey-green scent is incorporated into the floral heart almost seamlessly.

I once saw a review comparing this to an oil painting and I definitely agree; Song of Aubrac is a rich, layered, vibrant perfume. It lasts forever on me and doesn't ever wear out its welcome. When I get a travel spray of this I will also try the discovery set with First Cut, Frost, Gardener's Glove and Casablanca. (Not soon, sadly, but eventually I will.)
This is a wonderful scent! Casablanca is incredible (one of my most favorite). Gardener's Glove is really good (still need to get this one). My partner has a bottle of First Cut. I love when she wears it.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015

I'm debating getting a small bottle of Song of Aubrac eventually, but the scent is so concentrated I can see the 2ml spray lasting me for awhile like yours.

I like the oil paint metaphor, I would say a lot of the work is in the style of Rembrandt, thick dark smudgy strokes of materials. Even if that style doesn't really speak to my taste, they are all worth smelling as the construction is just so much different than what you smell in commercial perfume.

Frost was my initial favorite when I ordered the sample pack a couple years ago, I think because it is the simplest and therefore works the best as a composition IMO. But Seeking Balance has really grown on me and so has Song of Aubrac which I didn't like at first, but last time I wore it I loved the smell left over the next day. Narcotic floral heaven. It was just a bit much for the first 12 hours. 😂

I want to like Casablanca but it is just too animalic for me. Real Hyrax is almost always a deal breaker for me as I really can envision the smell of hot piss in the base of Casablanca.

TNBLUEMIKE

Oct 1, 2013
Just picked up from American perfumer 13ml of First Cut and Gardeners Glove. Sample of Gardiners Glove was depleted and First Cut is a blind buy after positive thoughts by fans of the house,

Dr B1414

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 21, 2019
I had a weird relationship with this house. Sold all that I had except Casablanca. They felt too botanical to me, more like high-quality ingredients but not so much as a perfume overall. Casablanca is the only one that feels like a perfume from start to finish while using high-quality ingredients. And funny enough, I wasn't that blown away by it at first, but now I'm thinking of getting a 30ml bottle. I have a 13ml travel size but this stuff is so nuclear that I've been living off my ample for a year now and I still have about 0.6ml left. Truly a beautiful perfume. I'd like to sample her future stuff but she's definitely not a blind-buy-safe option for me.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
I had a weird relationship with this house. Sold all that I had except Casablanca. They felt too botanical to me, more like high-quality ingredients but not so much as a perfume overall. Casablanca is the only one that feels like a perfume from start to finish while using high-quality ingredients. And funny enough, I wasn't that blown away by it at first, but now I'm thinking of getting a 30ml bottle. I have a 13ml travel size but this stuff is so nuclear that I've been living off my ample for a year now and I still have about 0.6ml left. Truly a beautiful perfume. I'd like to sample her future stuff but she's definitely not a blind-buy-safe option for me.
I can't sing the praises of Casablanca highly enough...

Dr B1414

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 21, 2019
I can't sing the praises of Casablanca highly enough...
For me it became a love once I started wearing it in the heat, starting this Spring, and the Hyraceum really pushes out. I think it shines in higher temperatures, like all dirty floral perfumes. Who needs citruses? Casablanca, Une Fleur de Cassie, Mayura, Fiona, Salome, all these dirty little treasures shine in the heat.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
For me it became a love once I started wearing it in the heat, starting this Spring, and the Hyraceum really pushes out. I think it shines in higher temperatures, like all dirty floral perfumes. Who needs citruses? Casablanca, Une Fleur de Cassie, Mayura, Fiona, Salome, all these dirty little treasures shine in the heat.
I do think Song of Aubrac may be a more beautifully composed little perfume than Casablanca even. Also, maybe it’s just me but I think Diane’s composition style is just beautiful. Pastoral, Vermont country style but finely tuned.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
I do think Song of Aubrac may be a more beautifully composed little perfume than Casablanca even. Also, maybe it’s just me but I think Diane’s composition style is just beautiful. Pastoral, Vermont country style but finely tuned.
My 2 bottles from St Clair: Casablanca, and Song of Aubrac. This one is really beautiful as well. I think of Casablanca as a symphony, and Song of Aubrac as a chamber orchestra... no less beautiful than a full symphony, but more intimate in its focus.

Dr B1414

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 21, 2019
Sold Aubrac. The more I wore it the more it smelt very botanical to me. It felt like wearing some natural ingredients rather than a perfume composition. And with other amazing Narcissus perfumes in my collection, it didn't feel like a keeper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hf208