• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Solid perfume

LL Cool Spray

Aug 24, 2008
My daughter (whom I'm proud to say inherited her love of fragrances from me) is going on a long backpacking trip.
I asked her which perfume she is taking. She told me that she is not taking any because she can't travel with liquids, and seemed a little sad about that.
Then it hit me - solid perfume! This would be the perfect birthday gift for her.
I would love any and all recommendations. Her preference is sweet vanilla-based stuff, such as Prada Candy.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Not too knowledgeable about solids available today but alternatively, maybe one of her favourites comes in a travel tube of body cream?

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
That's a good suggestion - I'll totally look into that.

Good luck in the search, LL Cool Spray. Isn’t it wonderful when a member of the family or a friend requires assistance with a fragrance product? It doesn’t happen to me very often but when it does I jump to get on the task!

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Malle makes some really nice Body Butters, from what I hear (haven't tried them).

LL Cool Spray

Aug 24, 2008
Good luck in the search, LL Cool Spray. Isn’t it wonderful when a member of the family or a friend requires assistance with a fragrance product? It doesn’t happen to me very often but when it does I jump to get on the task!
Yes - It's a labour of love for me...(notice labour is spelled the Canadian way)

Olympe de Gouges

Feb 26, 2022
Diptyque does solid perfumes, I think? I have never tried them and also I am not sure that Diptyque has done a vanilla perfume, but also I am not a Diptyque expert clearly 😂

davidcalgary29

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 6, 2019
Tauer makes L'Air du Desert Marocain in a solid perfume.
Mine just came in the mail. My only concern with taking this on a camping trip is a potentially low melting point. It's otherwise light and compact, and smells nice. Bonus: since it ostensibly fits neither definition of "liquid" nor "gel" for CATSA screening purposes, it shouldn't be a problem taking it through airport security, right? Right?

Dane

Jan 9, 2002
Glossier You - can be found at Sephora or online. Smells similar (to me) to the hugely popular Santal 33 (same perfumer). It's so widely appealing that I stopped wearing it because I always get uncomfortable when people ask me what I'm wearing. Also not ridiculously priced competitors like Le Labo, who also make solids I believe.

Comes in a very sturdy case, some may find it too heavy for travel. Dropping it on your foot is enough to get a curse-filled reaction lol.

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
Mine just came in the mail. My only concern with taking this on a camping trip is a potentially low melting point. It's otherwise light and compact, and smells nice. Bonus: since it ostensibly fits neither definition of "liquid" nor "gel" for CATSA screening purposes, it shouldn't be a problem taking it through airport security, right? Right?
I shouldn't think security would have a problem because 1) It's a solid and 2) It's 15 grams. So even if they think it's a liquid (did you see the kerfluffle when TSA said peanut butter was a liquid?) it's well within the size limitation.

davidcalgary29

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 6, 2019
I shouldn't think security would have a problem because 1) It's a solid and 2) It's 15 grams. So even if they think it's a liquid (did you see the kerfluffle when TSA said peanut butter was a liquid?) it's well within the size limitation.
I had a problem taking KEYS through security a year ago. Yes, house keys! I was told that I had "too many of them" and that I needed to "keep them together in one bag to avoid confusion". I kept my face perfectly smooth and reactionless throughout this transaction, and I deserve a pat on the back for that.

My sister was once stopped at security checkpoint because she had a compact. "What's THAT?" the (female) TSA agent queried. My sister collected antique compacts from the '50s, and this was one of them.

I was once frisked by security by taking Xmas tree bubble lights thorugh security. My mother had them as a kid, and I was taking some to her to surprise her. The CATSA agent made me unscrew each one and put them in a baggie because "they contained liquid".

Dane

Jan 9, 2002
I had a problem taking KEYS through security a year ago. Yes, house keys! I was told that I had "too many of them" and that I needed to "keep them together in one bag to avoid confusion". I kept my face perfectly smooth and reactionless throughout this transaction, and I deserve a pat on the back for that.

My sister was once stopped at security checkpoint because she had a compact. "What's THAT?" the (female) TSA agent queried. My sister collected antique compacts from the '50s, and this was one of them.

I was once frisked by security by taking Xmas tree bubble lights thorugh security. My mother had them as a kid, and I was taking some to her to surprise her. The CATSA agent made me unscrew each one and put them in a baggie because "they contained liquid".
I've had SO many negative dealings with security and customs travelling that it makes me not want to anymore. Both the TSA and the Canadian equivalent only hire you if you're a dick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kashmir420