• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Optimal diluent for different materials, to elongate storage life?

Zongo

Mar 11, 2023
To have a long storage life with my ACs, essential oils, absolutes, etc., which kind of dilution shall I take for which kind of fragrant material? And which one do I better leave undiluted?
  • top notes, citrus notes => probably IPM in combination with Ethanol? or IPM alone?
  • middle notes => not sure
  • base notes, and resins => probably DPG in combination with Ethanol? or DPG alone?
  • patchouli as special case => better have it stored undiluted. The more it oxidizes the better it gets.
Is this somewhat correct?

Zongo

Mar 11, 2023
Good question, probably I shouldn't dilute anything at all except I'm using it up in a fair amount of time?

ourmess

Apr 25, 2018
The only real needs to dilute anything would be
  1. Power. If you'll only ever use it at 0.0001% of a formula, you may as well dilute it to make weighing it easier.
  2. Usability. If something is simply a pain in the ass undiluted (e.g. galaxolide) and you don't feel like heating it up every time, then dilute it to 50% purely to make it more mobile.
  3. Stability (this is a niche case). Fr'ex, undiluted aldehyde C12 lauric will polymerize if you look at it the wrong way, so dilute it the moment you get it or else you'll hear it faintly laughing at you as it turns to plastic chunks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instantviral