• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

How can I speed up the maturation and aging of my blends?

D

Deleted member 26348570

I would also like to know the answer to this as well
There’s numerous debates about the subject on these forums with a simple search. I for one would not recommend doing such. Some ethanol products are denatured with water, usually around 5%. Perfumers alcohol should be unadulterated and have no denaturant.

If you are formulating with only a test strip and not evaluating on any other media then you will have inconsistent results with fragrance tests, meaning the scent will not be what you anticipated. This is inherent with longer lasting materials, top notes are a bit more forgiving.

Quay Limey

Nov 1, 2020
Perfumers alcohol should be unadulterated and have no denaturant.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post but TSDA or the US equivalent (SDA 40b??) has the addition of tertiary butanol and Bitrex. I would consider this product to be "perfumer's alcohol".

ourmess

Apr 25, 2018
Ignore "perfumer's alcohol". That's a marketing phrase for many, many products. The only things that matter are the details.

You're looking for either pure (190+ proof) ethanol, or SDA40B / TSDA1 denatured ethanol. That's it.

SDA40B is the industry standard and there's nothing wrong with the denaturants.

D

Deleted member 26348570

Wait, my mistake. I did not know that perfumers alcohol was broadly used as marketing term.

Phoenix_Rose

Jan 4, 2021
If you have the ethanol smell dominating, try adding a tiny amount of Muscone or ambrettolide to the composition, this can quell the smell of ethanol.

Otherwise just make your compositions pure and when you do dilute with ethanol, make sure you make them strong enough to rise above the ethanol smell.

Bladeisdead

May 18, 2023
Your issue is your formula. Do not sell. You're not ready. It's not ethanol. Your top notes smell like shit. Rubbing the fragrance kills the top notes. That's why that's happening.
When they spray my personal blends on their wrists and immediately sniff, they scrunch their faces in disgust and say, "Ewww, what is that smell"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luvsick