• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

BBC podcast on fragrance clone houses

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Played fine in Los Angeles.

Yes, much of it well known to us but still a fun listen.

But UGH- using Sauvage as your test sample for quality of clone scents. I was screaming at the host.

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
Thanks, interesting broadcast.

The problem with the presenter's testing method of asking fellow office workers what they thought of the clones - something which I did too a long time ago - is that most don't have experienced noses.

Fortunately, I had a fellow worker with a very experienced nose who instantly said "Fake Eternity" and "Real Eternity", where at the time they both smelled the same to me. Months later, I was in full agreement with his assessment - they no longer smelled alike.

Which means one can get away with wearing clones most of the time among the general public, but eventually you'll run into someone who knows you're a cheapskate with no class.
Cheers,
Renato

ErroneousFact

Aug 16, 2022
Which means one can get away with wearing clones most of the time among the general public, but eventually you'll run into someone who knows you're a cheapskate with no class.
If I ran into someone who knew I was wearing La Yuqawam or CDNIM I think they would be more likely to think I don't have OCD and need to blow $350 on a brand name. But I don't know about the quality of Eternity clones since the real thing is $20 now.

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
I will confess my crimes here. Since modern Kouros is a disappointment (not bad, but a pale shadow of the original) I identified about 6 clones which I intend to buy along with original Kouros from the '80. I will identify the best clone and will never buy Kouros again.

I also plan to buy some Drakkar Noir clone since the original does not seem to last.

I want to buy some clones of Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar and Yves Saint Laurent Jazz because they are discontinued.

I might buy some clone of $500 niche perfumes if I will find one that I like. Because I wouldn't pay more than $100 for good perfumes and more than $150 for exceptional perfumes.

So there are at least three reasons to buy clones: brand perfumes no longer smell as they used to, perfumes are discontinued and perfumes are too expensive. Another reason to buy a clone is to see if you like the brand perfume if the brand perfume is kind of expensive.

lfc1892

Dec 12, 2021
There are plenty of brand perfumes that smell and perform wonderfully. I’ve yet to smell a clone that’s close to the perfume it’s cloning.
Price wise, yep, I can certainly see the attraction of clones.
If you want to know what the brand perfume is really like, that’s what you need to try, not the clone. Grab a little decant perhaps? It’s what I would do.

Dorje123

Feb 15, 2011
I will confess my crimes here. Since modern Kouros is a disappointment (not bad, but a pale shadow of the original) I identified about 6 clones which I intend to buy along with original Kouros from the '80. I will identify the best clone and will never buy Kouros again.

I also plan to buy some Drakkar Noir clone since the original does not seem to last.

I want to buy some clones of Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar and Yves Saint Laurent Jazz because they are discontinued.

I might buy some clone of $500 niche perfumes if I will find one that I like. Because I wouldn't pay more than $100 for good perfumes and more than $150 for exceptional perfumes.

So there are at least three reasons to buy clones: brand perfumes no longer smell as they used to, perfumes are discontinued and perfumes are too expensive. Another reason to buy a clone is to see if you like the brand perfume if the brand perfume is kind of expensive.

Well, let us know as I'm sure many would be interested, but IMO it's not going to be possible to clone vintage Kouros using mostly cheap aromachemicals, the result will be much like the current version. Vintage smells much more natural.

Out of your stated budget, but Prin's Arsalan has a similar vibe with more musk and spices, but it also has that clean accord that later versions turned into the urinal cake accord, and it smells great in the silliage but not so much up close. It's close in style and spirit but not at all a clone.

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
If I ran into someone who knew I was wearing La Yuqawam or CDNIM I think they would be more likely to think I don't have OCD and need to blow $350 on a brand name. But I don't know about the quality of Eternity clones since the real thing is $20 now.
Eternity is really only worth $20 now - because it doesn't last like the original.

Yesterday I tested current D&G Pour Homme on one arm and 21 year old D&G Pour Homme on the other.
One can call the latest version a reformulation, but I think of it as a pathetic clone of the original.
It woud be interesting if there were a clone of D&G Pour Homme that was closer to the original than the current version.
Cheers,
Renato

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
Well, let us know as I'm sure many would be interested, but IMO it's not going to be possible to clone vintage Kouros using mostly cheap aromachemicals, the result will be much like the current version. Vintage smells much more natural.
There is a chance Kouros got changed not because of the impossibility to make something closer to the original but because they wanted to appeal more to modern tastes.

After all, regulations don't forbid the use of animalis base but I can smell no civet in my modern bottle of Kouros.

Andyjreid

Oct 27, 2008
Interesting listen but I mostly knew about this stuff already.

I understand why they use Sauvage as a "benchmark" given its popularity however ALL of these clone houses would be nothing if it wasn't for making Aventus clones.

I've tried a few clone companies, like proper dupe ones and one thing is clear to me, they've gone all in on trying to clone Aventus and everything else seems to be a "meh, yea we could do that". No clone/dupe I've tried has ever really developed through its wearing, its just been a punch in the face of familiar notes with mostly nuclear levels of projection and longevity. Which, I guess, is why these companies are so successful, they give Joe Average what he wants.

Some are closer to the originals than others but every clone/dupe I've tried has never been "just like the real thing". That being said, I'm not a total snob and do appreciate that cheaper "inspired by" fragrances have their place such as CDN Milestone which reminds me of early Millésime Impérial

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
I just have a personal issue with buying clone house stuff. I don’t know why. I don’t think it comes from snobbery at all…never been that way here..but the fact that I just don’t want to save a few bucks to pretend I smell just like “X.” I’m not talking two scents from 2 normal houses having Aventus DNA. Maybe it harkens back to the days when Walgreens would have a shell with stuff and it would be “River Life” (made up but I’ll TM this if need be 😀) and then in the upper corner “compare to Cool Water.” I just don’t want to feel that way. Like I’m walking in sn imposter scent aura

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
Some clones I got today, first three are clones of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent:

Grand Parfums Perfume BODY Oil Kouros from Grand Parfums, oil
The Man Silver by Milton Lloyd EDT
Greek Origins For Men 0619 by Perfume Parlour, EDP + Extrait de Parfum.
Woody Rawhides For Men 1077 by Perfume Parlour, this one is clone of Leather Oud by Dior, EDP .
Occupation For Men 1953 by Perfume Parlour, this one is clone of Invasion Barbare by MDCI Parfums, EDP.
Last too are small 13ml bottles to see if I like them.
Emperor For Men 1635 by Perfume Parlour, which is a clone of Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels and which I never got a chance to smell since it was discontinued. So, clone fragrances are a good thing.

I still have to buy another three Kouros clones after I find them in my million of browser bookmarks.

Last edited:

Dionysus-N

Apr 25, 2023

When are you planning to complete that review RE the Kouros clones? Would love to read it.