• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Ask me for a review

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
I would like to contribute with reviews, but I don't know where to start.

Maybe you can help me and we can turn it into a game?

Below is a list of all the fragrances I can review as of right now. You can ask me to review any of them. I will do my best to write the review within a week, but I will only write one review each week in total, other requests will be queued

When you ask for a review, you can ask for one of two genres:

Story time

Or

Descriptive

If I don't like the fragrance, it'll be sarcastic too.

What do you think?

Here are the fragrances I can review currently.

Mugler Alien
Le Couvent des Minimes Solano
Le Couvent des Minimes Porto Bello
Le Couvent des Minimes Aqua Amantia
Hermès Ombre des merveilles
Le Couvent des Minimes Aqua Majestae
Le Couvent des Minimes Aqua Sacrae
MFK oud satin mood
Hermès Ambre Narguilé
Initio Psychedelic Love
Hermes Vanille Galante
The merchant of Venice Fenicia
Hermès Myrrhe Eglantine
Xeroff K'bridge club
The merchant of Venice Rococo
The merchant of Venice Arabesque
Senteurs and parfums du pays basque Un jour a biarritz
Tom Ford Velvet Orchid
L'Occitane Eau d'Iparie
Van Cleef & Arpels Rose Rouge
Xerjoff Dolce Amalfi
The merchantof venice Vinegia 21
Moschino Toy Boy
Van cleef & arpels Bois doré
Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra male
L'Occitane Eau des baux
Le Couvent des Minimes Hattaï
Guerlain Shalimar
Xerjoff Bouquet ideale
Xerjoff Italica
Issey Miyake A drop d'Issey
Replica By the Fireplace
Guerlain insolence
Parfums de Marley Herod
Penhaligons Vaara
Le Couvent des Minimes Nubica
Montale Intense Café
Heremès Poivre Samarcande
Hermes Paprika Brezil
Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia
Lolita Lempicka Green Lover
Hermès Iris Ukiyoe
Penhaligons Lily of the valley
Van Cleef & Arpels Orchide vanille
Le Couvent des Minimes Fort Royal
Le Couvent des Minimes Tinhare
L'Occitane Karite corse
Guerlain Homme ideale edp
JPG Le Male Le Parfum
Replica Jazz club
Le Couvent des Minimes Saïga
Le Couvent des Minimes Aqua Paradisi
Regime des fleurs Shells
Miller Harris Rose Silence
Santa Maria Vaniglia
Jo Malone Velvet Rose Oud
Comptoir sud pacifique Vanille iconique
Sol de janeiro Cheriosa 69
Montale Sweet Vanilla
Montale Vanille absolu

Sol de janeiro Brazilian crush
Hermes Osmanthe yunnan
Montale Dark Vanilla
Montale Arabians
Hisotoires de parfum Moulin Rouge 1889

Additions:

Parfums de Nicolaï patchouli intense
Parfums de Nicolaï ambre cachemere
Parfums de Nicolaï vanilla Tonka
Parfums de Nicolaï kiss me
Parfums et senteurs du pays basque arantxa
Histoires de parfum - Rosam
Perris Monte Carlo cacao aztèque
Comptoir Sud pacifique - Eclats d'amades
Blossom love by Amooage
Mfk baccarat rouge
Mfk amyris Homme
Mfk gentle fluidity gold
Mfk gentle fluidity Silver
Mfk l'homme à la rose
Mfk 724
Mfk acqua universalis
Hermès volynka violette

Last edited:

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
It would be great if you could start with the ones that have no reviews or have very few reviews so far - it would be the most beneficial to the site and the users looking for reviews, I suppose!
Any style that you feel fits the perfumes. ;)

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
The Merchant of Venice - Fenicia
Hermes - Myrrhe Eglantine

Descriptive

+1 Hermès Myrrhe Eglantine

Myrrhe églantine - a simple rose and Myrrhe combo that stands out. But not for the reasons you might think!

Myrrhe églantine was released in 2018 as a part of Christine Nagel's first venture into the Hermessence universe. The previous in-house perfumer at Hermès, Jean Claude Ellena, created the Hermessence collection back in 2004 as a line of fragrances to be sold exclusively in Hermès stores. Ellena's previous creations were centered around one or two notes and often described as "watercolor" or "haiku poem" fragrances for the restrained and translucent compositions.

Nagel's first introductions to the Hermessence collection focused on notes more often associated with the oriental style of perfumery: Woods, resins and attars.

Some have contrasted Nagel's first fragrances with the austere and lighter approach taken by Ellena.* But at least in the case of myrrhe églantine, there is a clear sense of restraint, clarity and elegance that fit well with Ellena's existing creations. Why does this matter?

Middle Eastern inspired rose combos are a dime a dozen these days. The austere approach that guided Nagel's creations is likely a reason why myrrhe églantine is so successful and still stands out in a forest of sweet balsamic, vanillic and "oudy" rose concoctions.

Nagel described myrrhe églantine like this: '..myrrh, then more precious than gold, reinvented and reworked around eglantine, a wild, fresh and tangy rose that never surrenders.'

This description reflects my own impression of myrrhe églantine. It opens with a citrusy and tangy rose with a whisper of myrrhe in the background. After a few minutes, you are left with an elegant and naturalistic rose that delicately balances between the sweet and the fresh.

Myrrh is a prominent supporting player throughout the weartime. It lends a warm and dry sweetness to the composition. Together with the églantine rose, you are transported to an otherworldly place, like a celebration of the day of roses in the Hagia Sofia in the 7th century.

I have tried quite a few rose fragrances, but I have yet to find something that is comparable to Nagel's myrrhe eglantine. And that is quite a feat.

Myrrhe élgantine lasts all day with moderate projection. It is office friendly and versatile. So don't expect a sillage monster.

*I'm not sure how much truth there is in the supposed contrasting approaches, as the biggest hit Ellena created for the Hermessence collection was ambre narguilé, inspired by amber, honey and shisha fruity tobacco, not to mention the spice caravan inspired poivre samarcande.

Last edited:

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
I would love to read your review of Moulin Rouge!

A descriptive review of Hermes Ambre Narguile.

L’Ombré des Merveilles
Alien
Velvet Rose Oud

Story time, please!

Great thread idea! :)

I'd like descriptive reviews of any of these, please.

Initio Psychedelic Love
Xerjoff Bouquet ideale
Hermès Iris Ukiyoe
Montale Sweet vanilla

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm trying to keep track below

I warn you some of the requests are not fragrances I like in particular or at all, so there will be some not so positive reviews. :unsure::coffee: I will try to keep away from the below-the-belt bodily secretions comparisions though. Let me know is there's anything in particular you'd like me to include. I'm not trained nose or anyhting of the sort (it should be obvious).

Upcoming:

One vote (no particular order):

story time:
L’Ombré des Merveilles
Velvet Rose Oud

Descriptive:
Oud satin mood
Initio Psychedelic Love
Xerjoff Bouquet ideale
Hermès Iris Ukiyoe
The Merchant of Venice - Fenicia
Moulin Rouge
Ambre narguilé

Last edited:

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Myrrhe églantine - a simple rose and Myrrhe combo that stands out. But not for the reasons you might think!

Myrrhe églantine was released in 2018 as a part of Christine Nagel's first venture into the Hermessence universe. The previous in-house perfumer at Hermès, Jean Claude Ellena, created the Hermessence collection back in 2004 as a line of fragrances to be sold exclusively in Hermès stores. Elena's previous creations were centered around one or two notes and often described as "watercolor" or "haiku poem" fragrances for the restrained and translucent compositions.

Nagel's first introductions to the Hermessence collection focused on notes more often associated with the oriental style of perfumery: Woods, resins and attars.

Some have contrasted Nagel's first fragrances with the austere and lighter approach taken by Ellena.* But at least in the case of myrrhe églantine, there is a clear sense of restraint, clarity and elegance that fit well with Elena's existing creations. Why does this matter?

Middle Eastern inspired rose combos are a dime a dozen these days. The austere approach that guided Nagel's creations is likely a reason why myrrhe églantine is so successful and still stands out in a forest of sweet balsamic, vanillic and "oudy" rose concoctions.

Nagel described myrrhe églantine like this: '..myrrh, then more precious than gold, reinvented and reworked around eglantine, a wild, fresh and tangy rose that never surrenders.'

This description reflects my own impression of myrrhe églantine. It opens with a citrusy and tangy rose with a whisper of myrrhe in the background. After a few minutes, you are left with an elegant and naturalistic rose that delicately balances between the sweet and the fresh.

Myrrh is a prominent supporting player throughout the weartime. It lends a warm and dry sweetness to the composition. Together with the églantine rose, you are transported to an otherworldly place, like a celebration of the day of roses in the Hagia Sofia in the 7th century.

I have tried a quite a few rose fragrances, but I have yet to find something that is comparable to Nagel's myrrhe eglantine. And that is quite a feat.

Myrrhe élgantine lasts all day with moderate projection. It is office friendly and versatile. So don't expect a sillage monster.

*I'm not sure how much truth there is in the supposed contrasting approaches, as the biggest hit Elena created for the Hermessence collection was ambre narguilé, inspired by amber, honey and shisha fruity tobacco, not to mention the spice caravan inspired poivre samarcande.
Well done, BaklavaRuzh!

Wait! Baklava?
Nom nom nom!

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
My vote goes to Alien, story time! :alien:

L’Ombré des Merveilles
Alien
Velvet Rose Oud

Story time, please!
Here it goes sorry for the long wait.

Once upon a time, in a small remote village nestled in the rolling hills of a lush green valley, there was a beautiful jasmine plant that grew wild along the edge of a field. Every year, just as the summer sun reached its peak in the sky, the jasmine plant would burst into bloom.

One faithful day as the summer sun reached its peak in the sky, a young woman named Alice came visiting the village from Capital city.

Alice was a foreigner to these lands, having been brought there with her parents who were missionaries. This was her first trip without her parents. She was filled with a sense of anxious anticipation mixed with budding excitement as she found her way to her accommodation.

She was staying on the second floor of a building close to the town square. The only other resident, the owner of the building, was an elderly mute widow. It was a simple but sturdy structure. The raw wooden beams covered with reeds gave the interiors a cozy aroma of cut timber.

On the first night, as the sun set and the night sky turned a deep shade of violet, the winds would pick up and carry the delicate fragrance of the jasmine petals far and wide, filling the entire village with its sweet aroma.

The villagers gathered in the town square, where they set up tables with delicious food and drink. This was the beginning of the Jasmine festival, a yearly event that marked the beginning of the harvest. The villagers took to the streets, parading down the narrow roads with lanterns and torches, their faces alight with happiness and joy.

All the commotion woke Alice from her evening nap. At first she was terrified. The noise and bright lights appeared through the window as flickering shadowy figures on the walls of her room. As she came to her senses and rubbed the sleep from her eyes, Alice too was enchanted by the sweet smell that had filled her room while she was asleep, mixing in with the aromas from the wooden beams. She left her room, her accommodation, and joined the villagers. They greeted her with open arms as she joined them chanting and twirling down the cobbled streets.

Everywhere they went, the windswept jasmine petals followed, filling the air with their intoxicating scent and adding to the magic of the night. Alice felt a sense of excitement and freedom.

The last day of her stay, a week after the festival, Alice woke up to find a small, violet glass vial on her nightstand. She didn't know exactly what it was and her mute host was unable to provide any explanation as to what the vial might contain. Nevertheless, she decided to keep it as a memory of her stay.

Weeks turned into months and months turned into years. Alice was about to graduate from her studies at a university in a country far away from Capital city and worlds apart from the remote village. The festival was slowly fading into a distant memory.

Having spent most of her years growing up in different parts of the world, Alice had a hard time connecting with the other students. She was shy and felt like a stranger, totally out of place. She spent a lot of time away from campus and kept to herself.

There was a big ball scheduled for the graduation. Alice didn't want to go as nobody had asked her out. But she felt obliged, as official pictures would be taken and those would make her parents proud.

She struggled with her own thoughts. She tried to muster up the courage to go. She spent hours procrastinating pretending to decide what to wear, how long to stay and came up with many excuses for staying at home. She went through her drawers and cabinets with frustration. Suddenly she found the violet glass vial and decided to open it for the first time. There was a dark purple liquid inside. As she opened it, images of the flickering lights of the festival and memories of the sweet aroma of breezy summer nights and cut timber came back to her. She dabbed some of the liquid content on her forearms and behind her ears.

In that moment, as the room filled with the exotic yet familiar aroma, she decided to approach the ball with the same anticipation that she felt when she arrived at the remote village so many years ago.

Alice felt a sense of excitement and freedom. Her arrival to the graduation ball was heralded by a shower of shimmering jasmine petals that filled the air with an intoxicating scent, like an ethereal form surrounded by a halo of golden light. She loved the way it made her feel confident and powerful. She was greeted with open arms by the other students and she received a lot of compliments.

Eventually, Alice's adventures came to an end. The violet glass vial ran out. But she knew that she would always cherish the memories of her journey and the powerful impact that fragrant memory of the windswept jasmine petals had on her. Especially those days when she felt like an alien in this world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingdomblinds