• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
I think it is Not really barny, but really Sour, almost rotten fruit in the beginning. Really interesting to see everybodys impressions. Testing Chinese Next week.
Interesting! So you distinguish between sour and barn? I find that a lot of folks put everything (poop, vinegar, varnish, cheese, funk, etc) in the ‘barn’ category.

I’ve smelled extremely sour ouds from India before. I can’t go anywhere near them no matter how glorious the drydown is. The sourness ruins the whole thing for me.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I think it is Not really barny, but really Sour, almost rotten fruit in the beginning. Really interesting to see everybodys impressions. Testing Chinese Next week.
You are like the first person i have seen who mentions rotten fruits. It is indeed a very repulsive but interesting note. One of the brightest examples i found, but mixed with rose, was in MFK Oud silk mook. Crazy stuff

gstinkerter

Aug 3, 2022
Interesting! So you distinguish between sour and barn? I find that a lot of folks put everything (poop, vinegar, varnish, cheese, funk, etc) in the ‘barn’ category.

I’ve smelled extremely sour ouds from India before. I can’t go anywhere near them no matter how glorious the drydown is. The sourness ruins the whole thing for me.
Thanks for asking (BTW Tigs, i have been enyoing your contributions very much lately)!
I try to distinguish as best as i can. But i guess everyone of us has a different meaning to some of these words. Barn for me is always more poopy haha. And Indian is not poopy at all. If i had to choose anything fecal, i would say pissy. But to me the opening is just sour fruit. Almost vinegary. I would say for example, that adams original Chinese Oud has a cheesy vibe. Oud maximus by Bortnikoff is more barny/poopy. But as i said: one mans barn is another mans cheese Haha!

Edit: Ensars Oud Yusuf almost has the same orange fruit sourness for me. But the indians drydown is to die for.

scent I meant

Apr 4, 2023
Thanks for asking (BTW Tigs, i have been enyoing your contributions very much lately)!
I try to distinguish as best as i can. But i guess everyone of us has a different meaning to some of these words. Barn for me is always more poopy haha. And Indian is not poopy at all. If i had to choose anything fecal, i would say pissy. But to me the opening is just sour fruit. Almost vinegary. I would say for example, that adams original Chinese Oud has a cheesy vibe. Oud maximus by Bortnikoff is more barny/poopy. But as i said: one mans barn is another mans cheese Haha!

Edit: Ensars Oud Yusuf almost has the same orange fruit sourness for me. But the indians drydown is to die for.
Your love for the dry down makes me want my bottle delivered ASAP

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Went back to agar de noir today, it is such an underrated release. I find it beautifully complete. What are your thoughts ?
One of my least favorite releases. I've tried, over and over, to like it - to no avail. I can't stand it. There is something that is just so syrupy sweet in it - overwhelmingly, nauseatingly - that overpowers the rest of the composition and *never* subsides. That and Oud Luwak (I hate coffee in fragrances, not a fan of civet and I don't love vetiver) are two of my least favorite ALDs.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021

I’m actually the exact same way! I think of barn as poop… as in barn animals and those cow poo thingies. Sour is just sour to me. Cheese is totally new to me as the Chinese was the first and only place I’ve smelled that but sure enough, it was cheese. So my thinking is barn = poop, cheese = funk, and sour = fermented / vinegar.

Me can’t handle more than a touch of sour.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
I think there’s a large handful of people here that absolutely love Indo Oud! Looks like the most well liked one to me so far. I might yet back up my backup bottle, lol
It seems to be, I don’t want to say polarizing, but one of those scents that is either a quick love or a quick ‘eh’. I haven’t seen anyone write a ‘I despise it’ review.

Chinese is more polarizing for sure, but I’ve seen quite a few rankings of the Indo in the 3 out of 10 range.

This release was a definite success. One thing that is extra awesome about the Indonesian is it’s availability, and it’s price. At less than $175, trying it is a no brainer for sure.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Went back to agar de noir today, it is such an underrated release. I find it beautifully complete. What are your thoughts ?
Malted milk ball + jolly rancher + bandaid. I wore it last night before bed. Definitely one of my least favorite ALD’s but it comes with an awesome scent memory which I like to revisit usually around Halloween. It was just too candy-like for my preference though.
One fragrance I wish I could try along with oud zen and Russian oud
Can’t speak for Oud Zen but Oud Zhen is amazing if you like smoke and saffron.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Malted milk ball + jolly rancher + bandaid. I wore it last night before bed. Definitely one of my least favorite ALD’s but it comes with an awesome scent memory which I like to revisit usually around Halloween. It was just too candy-like for my preference though.

Can’t speak for Oud Zen but Oud Zhen is amazing if you like smoke and saffron.
I know someone who might take your bottle of AdN off your hands.

Jolly Rancher and band-aids? Gross. Just sounds nasty and vile. I would view that as an assault to one’s sense of smell and overall well-being. You shouldn’t be subjected to such cruelty. It’s not fair to you or your inner peace.

Just let me know, ok? Asking for a friend.

thesacredsaguaro

Aug 26, 2022
I’ve noticed there’s not much talk about Cambodian Oud. Anyone here try that one? How bout Kinam? I feel like I have seen anything on those outside of Clair V, Ramsey and KyaraZen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sonray08