• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Anyone else feel uncomfortable sharing what fragrance they wear?

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
There are a few people uncomfortable sharing that they're wearing a cheap fragrance. Or if they're wearing a clone, they might try to say they're wearing the original.

For me, it's kind of the opposite. I don't really enjoy telling people that I'm wearing an expensive fragrance. I may just be wearing a sample or decant. Or a tester of a Creed I got for $90 several years ago. But if I say I'm wearing a niche frag, people may either get the impression I'm upper class or that I'm trying to floss.

For similar reasons I mentioned in the "Why I prefer unbranded clothes" topic on the mens fashion forum of this site. I prefer to be understated, and not let designer clothing be the main focus of my aesthetic. It's probably a similar reason why I wouldn't wear a Rolex or a pair of Yeezys even if I got them for free.

Granted this is a really trivial topic, and I'm rarely asked what I'm wearing anyway.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
If I'm too embarrassed to say that I'm wearing it, then I don't think I have any business wearing it. That applies the same whether I'm wearing something really cheap or really expensive.
Agree. I frequently wear cheap clothes with something expensive. I own both a Rolex and a Citizen (the Citizen is more accurate and gets more wear). And I have drugstore, designer and "niche" (ha whatever!) in my fragrance collection. It's all good, and shopping at a Walmart can be just as fun as somewhere more high-end. I don't judge others buy what they wear or like. I'm waaaay beyond that.

ultravisitor

Nov 4, 2014
Agree. I frequently wear cheap clothes with something expensive.
Same. I don't wear my Rolex anymore--between all my working out with my Apple Watch and getting robbed at gunpoint a year ago, I haven't wanted to wear it--but I used to wear it all day, every day, and had zero problem wearing it with a $5 tee.

If I'm wearing a cheap perfume, then I'm wearing it because I like it. I would find it really pathetic and sad to buy a cheap perfume and pretend it's something else more expensive.

LeChypreSexy

Oct 13, 2022
Same. I don't wear my Rolex anymore--between all my working out with my Apple Watch and getting robbed at gunpoint a year ago, I haven't wanted to wear it--but I used to wear it all day, every day, and had zero problem wearing it with a $5 tee.

If I'm wearing a cheap perfume, then I'm wearing it because I like it. I would find it really pathetic and sad to buy a cheap perfume and pretend it's something else more expensive.
I've had so much cool, expensive stuff ripped-off by other people it almost doesn't seem worth buying to me anymore. So I feel what your saying man! And those goofy "dupe" companies (Smells exactly like 2019 Aventus man!) are just stupid. Just buy Aventus, dumb dumbs!

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Not at all. And I always kind of thought it was small of the few guys I'd asked and then they wouldn't tell me (one was in his 30's, the other probably 80's)...like it's a guarded trade secret...gimme a break.

Now I do hesitate when my wife asks me the name of my scent and then she proceeds to chuckle at it (Beach Hut Man, for example). Then I'm like "here we go...." :rolleyes:

AndyL

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 2, 2022
Sometimes I'll get asked about my fragrance - and they want to know what it is.... for me, its an easier conversation when its a cheaper frag than a super expensive one...that's where I get a bit squirmy with the details.

kosui no kaori

Sep 14, 2022
I always try to put others into consideration when it comes to my words or my actions, but when it comes to my personal style, I literally could not care less what others may think or assume.

I’ve grown to stop wondering if others might judge, and finally started genuinely enjoying myself.

I collect luxury handbags, and used to feel self-conscious at the attention they garner at times in public. I would also feel as if I couldn’t wear my favorite Chucks, or my beloved band hoodies if I was wearing nice jewelry, or carrying an Hermès. Now, I wear both at the same time. Maybe I’m too old for band merch. Why is she carrying that bag, but wearing those old sneakers? Who cares?

Once you start realizing that everyone is too busy worrying about themselves to be judging trivial things about you, it is so incredibly freeing.

JyyskNotes

Mar 12, 2012
99 % of the people around you won't give a crap if you wear a rolex with a 5 dollar tee. They won't notice. Same with fragrances, whether an expensive niche or cheap designer. If you have to give too much of a thought for these questions you should work on your self confidence. Makes life much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGovindKP